DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Tokyo

Welcome to mavicpilots.com, "neighbour" ! ;-) (also living in Setagaya-ku and owner of a Mavic Air2 here ^^)
Well, sadly we have in deed tons of restrictions around. Best is you check this post which has several infos on the topic. Basically, as you noticed, it's restricted everywhere "officially" and where it is not, it is also "inofficially" (local restrictions, private, etc). Like you, i searched a lot, and thought about tama river shores, green areas like golf spots etc too, but found out it's also prohibited by the ward, just not reported yet on the official map from MLIT. Your best bet to train is sadly to join a drone school (hangar training, sucks but well...) or move to a dedicated place like i did, which is sadly not a good fit for a regular training solution. Only other alternative would be to find some relatively remote area and fly there very early in the morning (before 5-6AM ?) when no old wanabe "policeman assistant" is roaming around (many cases of delation in Japan). But like me, Setagaya-ku : dame desu... Everything remote is out of reach without car/train. Feel free to contact me for further infos or even to meet and plan a fly together maybe. =)
nice to meet you :) thanks for the info... i did take a train out to Okutama and found some nice flying areas around the river. It was pretty cool and a nice first test flight for the Air 2s. i'm still a beginner pilot so I didn't get too crazy but I could see a trip back to try some more of the fancy features.

I'm curious if you might think this area would be ok to fly in? It's suspiciously left off the no-fly areas of the maps along the outskirts of the area. I ride my bike here quite frequently and there are always lots of people fishing along the lower road. It's located where the Toyosu BBQ place is and would give some nice shots of Tokyo over the water.

thx :)

Attachments

• Toyosu.png
    Toyosu.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 2
  • toyosu2.png
    toyosu2.png
    568.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Steel63 and keio
nice to meet you :) thanks for the info... i did take a train out to Okutama and found some nice flying areas around the river. It was pretty cool and a nice first test flight for the Air 2s. i'm still a beginner pilot so I didn't get too crazy but I could see a trip back to try some more of the fancy features.

I'm curious if you might think this area would be ok to fly in? It's suspiciously left off the no-fly areas of the maps along the outskirts of the area. I ride my bike here quite frequently and there are always lots of people fishing along the lower road. It's located where the Toyosu BBQ place is and would give some nice shots of Tokyo over the water.

thx :)
Hey there ! First thing first, Okutama is generally banned for drones since 2018 (?), there are testimonies on the web of people which got fined (read comments). Now if you read the last comment, you'll see there is an alternative nearby, the Okutama Drone Field. Now, regarding your question about the potential river shore spot you found, i have a question on my own : are you using the DJI maps ? If yes, don't. ^^ I only use the official MLIT maps and even those are not 100% accurate, but at least i can then show the authorities in good faith that i checked before flying. So, now to answer your question, nope, this is a 100% no-go spot, as you are both in a DID red zone and in an aiport fly zone, that could end very badly. See screenshot from official map here below, you'll see both the DID red-marked zone and the green no-fly zone because aircrafts. Basically, it's best to avoid completely the center, as what is not marked DID (red) or No-fly (green) is anyway subject to local restrictions which are pretty hard to find infos about, but still in place.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Steel63
Hey there ! First thing first, Okutama is generally banned for drones since 2018 (?), there are testimonies on the web of people which got fined (read comments). Now if you read the last comment, you'll see there is an alternative nearby, the Okutama Drone Field. Now, regarding your question about the potential river shore spot you found, i have a question on my own : are you using the DJI maps ? If yes, don't. ^^ I only use the official MLIT maps and even those are not 100% accurate, but at least i can then show the authorities in good faith that i checked before flying. So, now to answer your question, nope, this is a 100% no-go spot, as you are both in a DID red zone and in an aiport fly zone, that could end very badly. See screenshot from official map here below, you'll see both the DID red-marked zone and the green no-fly zone because aircrafts. Basically, it's best to avoid completely the center, as what is not marked DID (red) or No-fly (green) is anyway subject to local restrictions which are pretty hard to find infos about, but still in place.

View attachment 130304

oh good to know. There was one other drone pilot flying along the river in Okutama too - guess he didn't know either. Yes i was using the DJI maps, but will take a look these others from now on. Looks like this is pretty challenging around here - sigh.

oh good to know. There was one other drone pilot flying along the river in Okutama too - guess he didn't know either. Yes i was using the DJI maps, but will take a look these others from now on. Looks like this is pretty challenging around here - sigh.
Ya, it is, sadly... =( About the other pilot, you must know that most of people are ignorant of the laws, included Japanese, which also leads to more and more harder laws + restrictions. Another possibility is also he doesn't care. I mean, you can fly in zones with restrictions (not the no-fly zones/sensitive zones) but must be ready to face the consequences. ^^

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute