DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help: altitude readings

ryo

Reactions
Hi folks.
Today i experienced a behaviour that i am not sure it's normal. My take off was from a mountain and flew into the valley in an area with a lot of altitude differences. At a certain point i was hovering in the valley at a certain altitude but i had readings that were quite different from what i could tell from the camera: i can estimate that i was at at least 15meters but the reading was 4 meters......big difference. Any opinions on this one? Do you think that the big differences in latitude from where i started flight might fooled the sensors? Or is it a gps thing?
thx

Hi folks.
Today i experienced a behaviour that i am not sure it's normal. My take off was from a mountain and flew into the valley in an area with a lot of altitude differences. At a certain point i was hovering in the valley at a certain altitude but i had readings that were quite different from what i could tell from the camera: i can estimate that i was at at least 15meters but the reading was 4 meters......big difference. Any opinions on this one? Do you think that the big differences in latitude from where i started flight might fooled the sensors? Or is it a gps thing?
thx
Could it be four meters above your take off altitude, if you went down into the valley?
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: ryo
Do you think that the big differences in latitude from where i started flight might fooled the sensors? Or is it a gps thing?
Latitude, longitude, and GPS do not affect the altitude.

There are two altitudes displayed at the bottom of DJI GO. One is the altitude above the home point (estimated by the IMU using data from the barometer). The other is the altitude from the ground up below the Mavic (estimated by the downward sensors if VPS is enabled).

Which altitude are you referring to?

Altitude.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be four meters above your take off altitude, if you went down into the valley?
Regards,
-d.

This is what i suspected. If it's this option it's not that useful, would have much more sense to have the altitude in the spot where the quad is flying.

Latitude, longitude, and GPS do not affect the altitude.

There are two altitudes displayed at the bottom of DJI GO. One is the altitude above the home point (estimated by the IMU using data from the barometer). The other is the altitude from the ground up below the Mavic (estimated by the downward sensors if VPS is enabled).

Which altitude are you referring to?

View attachment 9217

Interesting, didn't notice this 2 different information, maybe i was looking at the IMU.......i think that i should go for a fly and report back...o_O

would have much more sense to have the altitude in the spot where the quad is flying.
When your quad is within 13 meters of the ground, you can use the VPS altitude. If your quad is too high, you won't see the VPS altitude at the bottom of DJI GO. It also doesn't work well in poor lighting conditions, reflective surfaces, and the various other situations mentioned in the Mavic manual.

Reactions: ryo and Andrew F
I would think once you drop in a valley, your altitude ("H" in the GO app) would go negative in value. It would initially seem confusing since as you rise, the number would decrease, and as you drop it would increase. At least all on theory this is what SHOULD happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada