DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me choose---please

alkaye

Reactions
Please help me decide -- So...after some mind boggling research, I am torn. I sold my P4P which I never flew enough to be a great flyer,(because of my fear of losing it) thus due to this and my aging (almost 70) the obstacle avoidance is very dear to me, ---only the mp2 has it on the side too. The ma2 does not. I also like the first person ( I call it cockpit view) from my Fat Shark goggles and the Ma2 does not allow for those. BUT I do not need the best drone in the class. I just want to feel safe and enjoy flying. So I really need someone to help me decide. I hear that the obstacle avoidance on the m2p is overkill and many turn it off (well then why have it)...I am not in a $$ position to get the smart controller, but it seems I need to to use goggles. SO PLEASE GIVE ME THE PEACE OF MIND TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, alkaye, from the land of Oz. Sorry to hear that you disposed of your P4P, great machines. would have to agree with Thomas B. Enjoy flying with whatever machine you buy.
Regards

only the mp2 has it on the side too. The ma2 does not.
The side sensors don't function in normal flying anyway.
Only in Tripod (slow) mode, so they really aren't much use anyway.
BUT I do not need the best drone in the class. I just want to feel safe and enjoy flying.
To feel safe, stay well away from trees and other obstacles.
It's very hard to get into trouble when there's nothing to hit.

I don't know that anyone can make the best decision for you. One one hand the MA2 is a more-than-capable drone. It's got forward, backward and bottom sensors. Do you think there is a scenario when you'd be flying sideways at an altitude where you might be at the same level as an obstacle you weren't able to see? I don't think your fat sharks will work with DJI drones. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interestingly, DJI goggles aren't compatible with the current models that exist below the Mavic 2's stature in the pecking order. In spite of Ocuync 2.0 MA2, nor the Mini 2 are supported- but oddly supports older models like the Mavic Pro, Spark and then the Phantom 4 and Inspire 2. If you're dead set on goggles you will have to go with the Mavic 2, at least at this time.
The DJI Goggles are compatible with the following quadcopters;
Let's put the goggles aside and here's what I think... The MA2 CARE/REFRESH cost is only $59/year whereas the Mavic 2 pro is $129/year. So you buy the MA2 and the heck with the side sensors. If you crash it you'll pay the deductible and get a new drone. The DJI "refurbished" drones for all intents and purposes ARE new. But there's another thought. The Mavic 2 Pro can be purchased as a refurbished unit for $1279 and the M2 Zoom refurb $999. I got the M2P refurb and there wasn't a single thing that didn't scream NEW. But again the Care/Refresh will cost more and add $300 for the fly more kit with the extra batteries and charger that come with the $1000 MA2 fly more.

Edit: One thing I forgot that someone above reminded me of. TRIPOD MODE. IMO if you need smooth and stable the Mavic 2 has a "tripod" mode that keeps the M2 under 3mph top speed. The MA2' "Cine" mode has a top speed of 11mph and if anything like the Mini 2 can be a handful in tight spaces where precision is important because I don't believe you can adjust the stick input curves. Maybe some MA2 owner can review the Cine mode handling. I do love the tripd mode and use it often.

Good luck

Reactions: alkaye
I also like the first person ( I call it cockpit view) from my Fat Shark goggles and the Ma2 does not allow for those
I always feel less safe when flying with goggles since it limits the view to what's directly ahead of the drone. If this is a requirement though, it could really be done with any DJI drone if you use a mobile device that has an HDMI output. That'll allow the view from your mobile device to be shown inside of the goggles.

I hear that the obstacle avoidance on the m2p is overkill and many turn it off (well then why have it)
Why have it? Well, I think it's great for marketing. Everyone probably wants to know they are buying a drone that's safe (or as safe as possible). In most common flying scenarios, only the forward sensors are actively trying to prevent a collision. And you can certainly help prevent collisions by flying in wide open areas that are free of all obstacles until you're comfortable flying. DJI makes it really hard for these drones to crash into the ground, so that's rarely an issue in crash stories people share.

SO PLEASE GIVE ME THE PEACE OF MIND TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION
Compare the various Mavic drones here and find something with the features you need. What's best for me is not best for you. But, I'd pick the Mavic Air 2 (as of today) if I could only keep one of those drones. I currently own all of them.

Reactions: vindibona1
If I had the money I would go with M2P. Let me put it another way I have the money but also a wife...lol.
Now onto the goggles, do you always have a spotter with you?
Since FAA says you must maintain a VLOS then a spotter is require with the goggles.
Sensors are a big thing but they are just a warning system for when you should be pay attention to when doing VLOS.
The reason people crash flying side ways is mostly because they are to busy being the photographer and not the pilot.

Just to clarify on when the side sensors on the Mavic 2 are operational: during tripod mode, as previously stated; and also during autonomous flight modes such as the Quick Shots and Active Tracking.

I can't speak for the Air 2, but I know my decision to buy the M2 was partly due to the presence of the all round obstacle avoidance sensors. I know they don't work during normal flight, but I frequently use tripod mode, particularly when flying in tight spots.

If I had the money I would go with M2P. Let me put it another way I have the money but also a wife...lol.
Now onto the goggles, do you always have a spotter with you?
Since FAA says you must maintain a VLOS then a spotter is require with the goggles....
It's interesting because as one might assume most real FPV pilots are out practicing every day and what are the odds that most are practicing with spotters present? I appreciate the FAA rule, but like many government regulations they aren't very nuanced. I find that one of the cool things as I begin my experience with goggles is to fly 2-6 feet off the ground between obstacles. Another thing that Litchi has that I'm trying to work with is the Litchi Vue app that allows me to have a secondary mirrored screen so I can use goggles intermittently. Again, within the regulations that lack nuance, the rule doesn't say you have to have eyes on your drone 100% of the time. It just has to be WITHIN visual line of sight. What that means exactly I don't know but is certainly open to interpretation.
Sensors are a big thing but they are just a warning system for when you should be pay attention to when doing VLOS.
The reason people crash flying side ways is mostly because they are to busy being the photographer and not the pilot.
I don't agree fully with the notion that the sensors are only a warning system especially in the M2's. I had a sensor save me at least once. I was flying a Litchi mission and miscalculated the RTH height because the published data on the building I was filming was off by 40' [I now rely on Google Earth to research elevations before flying]. When the M2 finished it's Litchi run it did what it was supposed to do; make a bee line back to home, but in doing so almost collided with the dome of the building, but the obstacle avoidance stopped it and made it go up and over the building to the home point. I didn't even realize it until with horror I viewed the footage and realized how valuable the sensors can be at times. However the sensors need to see something substantial to react. The leaf-barren ends of tree branches can easily snag a drone because they are difficult to see through a monitor, goggles or sensors. Same thing with wires. Not enough mass to trigger the sensors. Also with the M2, if it senses something it won't let you fly past it and can be very stubborn. Sensors aren't perfect and sometimes a hinderance and all depends on the circumstances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan