DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me decide to keep or return

VLL

Reactions
I have had my Mavic Mini for about 10 days. It checks a lot of boxes for me in what I would like in a drone, and but for one issue with it, I would keep it for sure. But I'm getting the much-discussed problem of an occasional prop strike when flying. I have had three props now that come back with small nicks in the edges at the tip. The strikes are light--no evidence of the props hitting the arms or body. But I haven't flown the drone in a way that should put much stress on it. I fly at slower speeds (almost always C mode) and lower altitudes, and light breezes at most. Of course, a breeze can kick up a bit. I can see on my telemetry that has happened in a few spots. The highest wind to ever hit it has been about 16 mph. Usually, I fly below 8 mph.

Yesterday, when flying it about 10 ft off the ground and about 20 ft away from me, I could hear what seemed to be a quick clicking noise, and sure enough, after that, I had my third small nick in a front propeller.

I have four more days to return it to the retailer for a full refund. DJI tells me I can get my money back as well on the DJI Care Refresh.

Am I being overly sensitive to the problem? I feel like I should change props any time this happens. Three in my first 10 days of ownership, under not particularly stressful flying conditions, seems like a lot. In the 10 days I've had it, I've confirmed that I really enjoy this hobby and want to keep it up. Enough so that I would be willing to spring for a more expensive drone. Maybe I should?

Thoughts? Advice?

Reactions: Lastrexking
That would drive me mad. I’d return it.

Plus, if you’re enjoying the hobby you’re probably going to outgrow the Mini fairly quickly.
I would consider one of the bigger Mavics. Obviously, the 2 is the best of the bunch, but the Air still has a lot to offer if you don’t want to spend as much.

That would drive me mad. I’d return it.

Plus, if you’re enjoying the hobby you’re probably going to outgrow the Mini fairly quickly.
I would consider one of the bigger Mavics. Obviously, the 2 is the best of the bunch, but the Air still has a lot to offer if you don’t want to spend as much.
++ on the Mavic Air! A great little bird.

OK ... bracing here for the collective rage from the MM community ? but ...

The Mini isn't a reliable flyer.

Even if it's the cheapest of the Mavics I personally never would accept stiffen up front legs with old plastic spoons or credit cards just to make one of the two most important parts for flying (props & batteries) hold up. Let alone those mysterious uncommanded descents & crappy wind resistance.

If you have the possibility for second thoughts you should take the opportunity ... it's served it's purpose, you think it will be a growing interest. If you are willing to shell in some more money to get reliable fly characteristics you should do it ...

Let what's important to you guide you to the successor ...

*If the Mini's connection technology were good enough & portability still is important go for the Air ... & get a flyer on par with both MP & M2 with a possibility to grow a photo/video interest.

*If size isn't a problem, go for the MP & get a bit more stable connection link & a few more minutes battery time over the Air.

*If $$$$ isn't of slightest interest nor size & you don't want to outgrow anything ... go for the M2.

All these three are equal excellent & reliable flyers ... what mainly differs regarding legal drone use is portability, battery time & camera... & price

Last edited:
OK ... bracing here for the collective rage from the MM community ? but ...

The Mini isn't a reliable flyer.

Agreed. I’d rather have a Spark than a Mini - they’re great little drones, well built, solid flyers, and have full manual control. DJI should have stuck with those, and put a 3 axis gimbal on them.

Great input from all of you, and you have in fact helped me make the decision. It's going back. I'm willing to spend more, because I'm confident I will be enjoying this for a long time. And some of the environments I want to fly in will be more challenging than where I've had the MM (over water, around boats and in high mountain elevations near a family cabin). Now, I just have to decide the best upgrade for my uses . . . all the suggestions and reasons for them will help with that. Maybe . . . it gives me a whole new round of research to pursue. Thanks everyone!

Great input from all of you, and you have in fact helped me make the decision. It's going back. I'm willing to spend more, because I'm confident I will be enjoying this for a long time. And some of the environments I want to fly in will be more challenging than where I've had the MM (over water, around boats and in high mountain elevations near a family cabin). Now, I just have to decide the best upgrade for my uses . . . all the suggestions and reasons for them will help with that. Maybe . . . it gives me a whole new round of research to pursue. Thanks everyone!
Keep us updated ??

My first reply was a short but enthusiastic ? on the Mavic Air. I'll expand because I see it as a perfect fit for you.

My own MA--her name is Bertie--has been an incredibly capable and reliable bird for me. She flies with grace, even in a substantial breeze, and the wifi connection is very good unless you push it to unreasonable limits. (In fairness, I generally fly in the hinterlands, with no chance of competing wifi traffic. Range falls dramatically wherever there's wifi clutter.)

The short video at the above link also illustrates the quality of the camera. Presented with only minor and basic digital enhancement, it beautifully captures that remarkable late-winter Colorado sky.

As to your initial question ... from what I have gleaned here over many months, I would not personally fly a Mavic Mini for any reason, at any price, until the present deficiencies--which are at the root of countless personal catastrophes--have been shown to be fixed. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I really think they pushed a half-baked drone out the door.

I have had my Mavic Mini for about 10 days. It checks a lot of boxes for me in what I would like in a drone, and but for one issue with it, I would keep it for sure. But I'm getting the much-discussed problem of an occasional prop strike when flying. I have had three props now that come back with small nicks in the edges at the tip. The strikes are light--no evidence of the props hitting the arms or body. But I haven't flown the drone in a way that should put much stress on it. I fly at slower speeds (almost always C mode) and lower altitudes, and light breezes at most. Of course, a breeze can kick up a bit. I can see on my telemetry that has happened in a few spots. The highest wind to ever hit it has been about 16 mph. Usually, I fly below 8 mph.

Yesterday, when flying it about 10 ft off the ground and about 20 ft away from me, I could hear what seemed to be a quick clicking noise, and sure enough, after that, I had my third small nick in a front propeller.

I have four more days to return it to the retailer for a full refund. DJI tells me I can get my money back as well on the DJI Care Refresh.

Am I being overly sensitive to the problem? I feel like I should change props any time this happens. Three in my first 10 days of ownership, under not particularly stressful flying conditions, seems like a lot. In the 10 days I've had it, I've confirmed that I really enjoy this hobby and want to keep it up. Enough so that I would be willing to spring for a more expensive drone. Maybe I should?

Thoughts? Advice?
If you can swing it get a Mavic 2 either one I would stay away from the Mavic air in my opinion I could not stand that noise

I would stay away from the Mavic air in my opinion I could not stand that noise

Honestly, that's some kind of myth. I have a Mavic Pro and an Air amongst my drones, and the noise is just about the same. It's a little more high pitched, but if you put some MAS props on it, it's actually quieter from the tests I've done.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Why not to consider the Parrot Anafi in the same price range ? I own three DJI drones (P3 and Mavic Pro) and I recently bought a used Anafi. I must say that photos and video are of the same quality with either brand, that the Anafi has been very reliable and easy to fly, till now and that it is much more silent than my DJI drones.

Reactions: Prismatic
Continued thanks for everyone's comments and advice. One poster asked that I post updates, so here goes.

I did return the MM today for a full refund. No hassle on that. Now I have a few accessories that I had ordered that I can still return. (All but one -- I will be stuck I think with a sort of cheap float system that I thought was worth ordering for flying around boats. But maybe I can sell it since the supply of these -- all of which come from China -- appears to be drying up).

I think any of the DJI quads might make me happy, but I love flying these enough that I think I may press upwards on my budget. Plus, we met with our tax guy yesterday, and we have the happy news that we are getting a bigger than we expected refund (too much withholding!).

I'm looking hard at the Mavic 2 zoom. I really like the idea of some of what the zoom functionality can do. I think the Pro is amazing too, but it seems like its real benefit is in post-production photos and video, and I stopped shooting RAW and doing post in Adobe some years ago. I take more photos with my iPhone than with any of the many excellent cameras I've purchased over the years. So basic photos likely will work for me, and beyond that, the zoom-in ability on the M2Z looks like something I would get a lot of good use out of (the dolly zoom, on the other hand, looks like a novelty that I would never put to any real use).

Now I have to figure out the smart controller vs. remote controller issue. After reading tons of posts on that, and watching a few YTU (YouTube University) videos, I find the SC drawing me in for the simplicity of getting out and flying with few logistics. I do enjoy the flying as much as the filming. Well, almost. When the flying is done, is sure is fun to look back on it with the photos and videos. Some of the software issues of the SC have been concerning. But on balance, it looks like those haven't been deal breakers for most.

So I'm tilting that way, right now. I'm trying to figure out the benefit of the fly more. Drone-works.com has a nice feature where you can pick the base drone (like the M2Z with RC, or the M2Z with SC) and then add on the fly more kit, or a single additional battery, or the DJI Care Refresh, with discounted prices on most of the add-ons.

If anyone has thoughts about any of this, I'm still in pre-order decision mode, so chime in. Thoughts about SC vs RC, or the fly more kit, best accessories to try to get bundled up, or even best vendors (I've checked the daily deals vendors, so I know about that).

Love this forum. Thanks again everyone.

Continued thanks for everyone's comments and advice. One poster asked that I post updates, so here goes.

I did return the MM today for a full refund. No hassle on that. Now I have a few accessories that I had ordered that I can still return. (All but one -- I will be stuck I think with a sort of cheap float system that I thought was worth ordering for flying around boats. But maybe I can sell it since the supply of these -- all of which come from China -- appears to be drying up).

I think any of the DJI quads might make me happy, but I love flying these enough that I think I may press upwards on my budget. Plus, we met with our tax guy yesterday, and we have the happy news that we are getting a bigger than we expected refund (too much withholding!).

I'm looking hard at the Mavic 2 zoom. I really like the idea of some of what the zoom functionality can do. I think the Pro is amazing too, but it seems like its real benefit is in post-production photos and video, and I stopped shooting RAW and doing post in Adobe some years ago. I take more photos with my iPhone than with any of the many excellent cameras I've purchased over the years. So basic photos likely will work for me, and beyond that, the zoom-in ability on the M2Z looks like something I would get a lot of good use out of (the dolly zoom, on the other hand, looks like a novelty that I would never put to any real use).

Now I have to figure out the smart controller vs. remote controller issue. After reading tons of posts on that, and watching a few YTU (YouTube University) videos, I find the SC drawing me in for the simplicity of getting out and flying with few logistics. I do enjoy the flying as much as the filming. Well, almost. When the flying is done, is sure is fun to look back on it with the photos and videos. Some of the software issues of the SC have been concerning. But on balance, it looks like those haven't been deal breakers for most.

So I'm tilting that way, right now. I'm trying to figure out the benefit of the fly more. Drone-works.com has a nice feature where you can pick the base drone (like the M2Z with RC, or the M2Z with SC) and then add on the fly more kit, or a single additional battery, or the DJI Care Refresh, with discounted prices on most of the add-ons.

If anyone has thoughts about any of this, I'm still in pre-order decision mode, so chime in. Thoughts about SC vs RC, or the fly more kit, best accessories to try to get bundled up, or even best vendors (I've checked the daily deals vendors, so I know about that).

Love this forum. Thanks again everyone.

I came very close to buying a Crystal Sky yesterday, but bought a new iPad Mini 5 instead. I prefer the slimmer size, and that I can use it for lots of other things as well.

If you can swing it get a Mavic 2 either one I would stay away from the Mavic air in my opinion I could not stand that noise
You must be kidding ?

So you seriously mean that double the price is worth it ... to get rid of a little high pitch sound gone anyway at 50m height?
I agree with @slup.

One could list many reasons why the Mavic 2 models could be considered a cut above the Mavic Air, but neither "portability" nor "price" would be on it, and "sound profile" would be way down the list.

To close the loop . . . pulled the plug this evening on the Mavic 2 zoom with smart controller. Should arrive Wednesday. I went back and forth on the smart controller versus the stock remote control. Close call in some ways. I may one day want both. But assuming I have the good experience that many (not all) have had with the SC, maybe I will never want the RC. If I do, my math suggested I am ahead to get the SC now and the RC later. After reading so much about the functionality of the M2Z, I'm excited and glad I returned the MM.

Reactions: Wavecloud
I just picked one up over the weekend to replace my Spark.. Camera seems crappy even compared to the Spark! Im not sure if its Lens flare or just the camera. ( see photo ) anyone else see this ?

DJI_0017.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0012.JPG
    DJI_0012.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 30
  • DJI_0020.JPG
    DJI_0020.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 28

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads