DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me to improve the quality of our video

I don’t claim to be any sort of expert bot agree with Thomas B
For video’s hosted on the net be ruthless with your editing to get the length down, obviously there are exceptions for example when telling a story.
You can always keep long video’s for personal viewing to remember the day but in general if you want people to get to the end 5 minutes is about maximum.
General points are smooth movement’s, vary clips & the hard part what to miss out.

There are some scenes where you had some great moves on your subject... and not just flying straight. Rotation, crab angle and sideways flight adds a cinematic effect.

Some of your gimbal moves up or down are too abrupt. They need to start and end smoothly. Same for yaw movements. That’s a problem with a lot of the default rate settings... they are too fast and lack dampening and are difficult to manage. Try to set you gimbal and yaw rates to low numbers.

Any rapid movements will destroy the drama of the scene. If you speed up the clip in post, it just makes it worse. The way to mitigate a rapid movement in post is to cut that part of the clip out and maybe do a fade transition between the remaining.

Some scenes focus too long on a subject. The way to mitigate that is to cut the clip into 3 or more sections, delete every other section, and fade transition between the remaining. So you make a very long scene much shorter without using speed ramping. And the time progression remains real time and looks natural. Speed ramping has its place, but it will amplify bad or jerky movements.

Also, never repeat a scene or subject in a movie from the same point of view. If you must revisit a subject, come from a different direction and flight angle.

With non-flat topography, look for opportunities for reveal shots using vertical climb or a gimbal rise. And do them slowly.

Always ask yourself... “How would Ron Howard do this shot?”

Adjust your joystick settings to a slower or slowest response times for smoother video. Also try flying in "Tripod Mode" or "Cinematic Mode". Can also try some pre-programmed "Quick Shots" modes.

One of my other tricks is to just fly in some straight path then use a pan or zoom in software editing for some additional interest.

Good Luck !

Hi guys, here is Angel from Persian Campers. I recently uploaded 2 videos filmed by our DJI Mavic Air drone. Can you give me some tips to improve the quality of the video?!
Hi Angel,
The problem with most of the drone videos is that they contains "only" aerial views and most of these shots are wide shots. Such videos can become boring even if they are short!
How can one obtain more interesting videos? Well it´s easy! In a drone video we should also shoot plenty of various "ground-shots" to show the subjects from another angle as from above!
Important: we should shoot lots of medium-shots, medium long shots and close-up shots. Close-up shots are the salt in the moviemakers soup! A saltless soup tastes rather stale/bad, the same happens with a movie which contains only aereal wide shots! It is rather boring to watch!
I am working on a "fall-video" which will be salty :) in a couple of week it will be done and I will post it here!
this were only my two cents;)
I watched both of your videos! Thera are many good shots, but they are both too long! Videos for youtube should not exceed 4-5 minutes!
cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Angel,

My first piece of advice is to use shorter clips. Currently your video consists of 8 x 60sec clips (stitched together), which is a little boring. To improve your video, try using 20 x 2-8sec clips instead.

For example, here are two videos that use shorter (2-8sec) clips to keep the viewer engaged.

My second piece of advice is to use your photography skills (which I know you have as I’ve seen your Instagram account) when creating your video. Lighting, Golden Hour, composition, rule of thirds, leading lines, foreground elements to add depth, etc, etc, they all apply to photography AND videography alike.

My second piece of advice is to use your photography skills (which I know you have as I’ve seen your Instagram account) when creating your video. Lighting, Golden Hour, composition, rule of thirds, leading lines, foreground elements to add depth, etc, etc, they all apply to photography AND videography alike.
Hi Terry,
these are two perfect video to show how a video gets interesting. The Amalfi video shows a fantastic location and has a kind of guiding thread with the long-haired beauty! The bike video has many very well choosen close-up shots and they are perfectly mixed with the wide shot! The problem is, that many of the drone flyers are not really "movie-makers" and they have to go through to a -more or less long- period of learning by doing ;) Thumbswayup And of course by watching such videos you show us here Terry! :)
cheers Paul

Last edited:
Hi guys, here is Angel from Persian Campers. I recently uploaded 2 videos filmed by our DJI Mavic Air drone. Can you give me some tips to improve the quality of the video?!
I want to make it more attractive, but I don't know how.
Here are the links:
Thanks heaps ☺️
Not to be repetitive but statistical analysis by my Vimeo provider shows that almost nobody finishes a clip of more than 3 minutes. Most viewers watch anywhere from 30 to 50% of the film, then stop it. Patience is very short among Mavic Pilot viewers and You Tube viewers from my personal experience. If you want a memory for yourself, make it for yourself but don't submit it. Keep your clips to about 3-5 seconds unless the clip is telling a story. Long monotonous clips of flying in a straight direction are rapidly boring. Variety is very important. The rules of standard photography also apply- e.g.: start with wide view, then medium view, and finally a close view. Mix in various media such as Go Pro or Osmo Action video, timelapse sequences, night shots, still shots with your DSLR or mirrorless camera.

Finally, spend a lot of time watching other people's videos! You will see for yourself what you like and what you reject.

Welcome to the forum. Keep practicing and submitting.

Dale
Miami

Hi Terry,
these are two perfect video to show how a video gets interesting. The Amalfi video shows a fantastic location and has a kind of guiding thread with the long-haired beauty! The bike video has many very well choosen close-up shots and they are perfectly mixed with the wide shot! The problem is, that many of the drone flyers are not really "movie-makers" and they have to go through to a -more or less long- period of learning by doing ;) Thumbswayup And of course by watching such videos you show us here Terry! :)
cheers Paul
Thanks! They’re both great movies, I just wish that they were mine. ??

There are some scenes where you had some great moves on your subject... and not just flying straight. Rotation, crab angle and sideways flight adds a cinematic effect.

Some of your gimbal moves up or down are too abrupt. They need to start and end smoothly. Same for yaw movements. That’s a problem with a lot of the default rate settings... they are too fast and lack dampening and are difficult to manage. Try to set you gimbal and yaw rates to low numbers.

Any rapid movements will destroy the drama of the scene. If you speed up the clip in post, it just makes it worse. The way to mitigate a rapid movement in post is to cut that part of the clip out and maybe do a fade transition between the remaining.

Some scenes focus too long on a subject. The way to mitigate that is to cut the clip into 3 or more sections, delete every other section, and fade transition between the remaining. So you make a very long scene much shorter without using speed ramping. And the time progression remains real time and looks natural. Speed ramping has its place, but it will amplify bad or jerky movements.

Also, never repeat a scene or subject in a movie from the same point of view. If you must revisit a subject, come from a different direction and flight angle.

With non-flat topography, look for opportunities for reveal shots using vertical climb or a gimbal rise. And do them slowly.

Always ask yourself... “How would Ron Howard do this shot?”
These are very practical tips that I'm glad I blundered into before doing my first shoot! THANK you!

Mix in various media such as Go Pro or Osmo Action video, timelapse sequences, night shots, still shots with your DSLR or mirrorless camera.
sorry Dale, my two cents: A veritable video should not really contain still photos. Concerning timelapse one should not exaggerate...Why? well there was a veritable timelapse-hype a couple of years ago and little by little all the good or less good timelapse became trivial! That does not meant that one should banish timelapse. If it´s a timelapse from a wonderfull cloud formation ( as an example) it´s quite ok! But: in a timelapse shot one should not see people/cars and other moving subjects on the ground! That looks strange and rather disturbing and makes an amazing cloud timelaps looking odd.
cheers Paul

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I think your videos have a lot of good footage - and the advise provided has been stellar. I would add my $0.02, which is to ensure you a) have transitions, b) time the transitions to coincide with the music, c) first select your music and identify the dramatic downbeat (or up beats) where the tempo or meter changes and set your transitions to coincide in post. d) The music selection should be consistent with the flow of your video. In the first video the music seemed energetic and upbeat while the video seemed cinematically languid, if that makes sense.

Lastly, keep your props out of the scene. The presentation of a video with smooth transition, complementary music and panoramic displays evaporates instantly when you see props. Ensuring you maintain less than 90° angel on your camera.

I hope these pieces of advise and recommendations from the group have been considerate and helpful more than critical or hurtful.
~
EM
Check out Practical Research (first steps)
Subscribe to Write Your Research Right!
Follow me on Twitter @mfaculty

Hi Angel,

My first piece of advice is to use shorter clips. Currently your video consists of 8 x 60sec clips (stitched together), which is a little boring. To improve your video, try using 20 x 2-8sec clips instead.

For example, here are two videos that use shorter (2-8sec) clips to keep the viewer engaged.

Very nice Vids.
Love the Triumph too.

Ha ha, no!! I was going to use your Appalachian Mountains video as an example, but I hear there has been a YouTube “copyright strike” lodged on that one.
Hi Terry,
well the Appalachian Mountains video is not mine, I just wantet to show San Marino how to grade the video to make it looking better! :) cheers Paul

Part of the fun of a drone is flying it and then the fun/work part of putting together an interesting video.

Please do an YouTube video search for..... video editing drone footage.

There is a lot to learn but the best thing is you can make it into your own "style."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan