DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP NEEDED - Looking for an on the go charger for charging Smart Controller while in use

DronePhotosNZ

Reactions
Hi all,
Here in NZ it's summer therefore harvest season and I've been out capturing combines doing there thing
The problem is that although I have a heap of batteries for my MA2, twice now I have been forced to finish up due to the smart controller going flat
I have a car charger but it brings up the slow charging message and just isn't up to the task at hand
Does anyone have experience using a powerbank or such to charge the SC while out and about ?
Would happily make up a bracket to hold a motorbike battery underneath if it meant the difference between getting the job done or running out of steam
I've taken to taking the original controller along with me to use of the SC goes flat before the end of the shoot
All help and ideas considered......
Cheers, Stu

For all quick charging stuff I use 2 XTAR PB2S with 2 standard 18650 batteries inside. When there are emtpy you can exchange them in 10 sec. I take a dozen of 18650 with me + XTARs and I'm covered. PB2S supports PD 3.0 and QC 3.0. My Mini 2 is charged at 12V with 1-1.5A (but I know it can use 15V too, but XTAR is not supporting 15V)

PS. I don't have SC :(

Last edited:
Hi all,
Here in NZ it's summer therefore harvest season and I've been out capturing combines doing there thing
The problem is that although I have a heap of batteries for my MA2, twice now I have been forced to finish up due to the smart controller going flat
I have a car charger but it brings up the slow charging message and just isn't up to the task at hand
Does anyone have experience using a powerbank or such to charge the SC while out and about ?
Would happily make up a bracket to hold a motorbike battery underneath if it meant the difference between getting the job done or running out of steam
I've taken to taking the original controller along with me to use of the SC goes flat before the end of the shoot
All help and ideas considered......
Cheers, Stu

Any good power bank with at least a 2.1 amp output is going to probably give you what you need. It might be a "Slow" charge by the SC standards but it will greatly extend flight time. IF you want to go full bore and fast charge, something like this should fit the bill nicely: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3H1KS3ZKWRDTY&dchild=1&keywords=quick+charge+power+bank+usb+c&qid=1611574468&sprefix=quick+charge+power+bank,aps,188&sr=8-3

They make much more powerful units if you feel the need. How many flight batteries are we talking here? You could drop your screen brightness and that will be a huge help as well. You can adjust (As you probably know) the screen brightness on the fly using your function button. Just roll it down when your VLOS and rolling "Film". :)

Last edited:
For all quick charging stuff I use 2 XTAR PB2S with 2 standard 18650 batteries inside. When there are emtpy you can exchange them in 10 sec. I take a dozen of 18650 with me + XTARs and I'm covered. PB2S supports PD 3.0 and QC 3.0. My Mini 2 is charged at 12V with 1-1.5A (but I know it can use 15V too, but XTAR is not supporting 15V)

PS. I don't have SC :(
Hi Tibzee, thanks for that, I've never seen a powerpack with removable batteries like that before :)
I just googled it
Interesting concept, I'll have a look what is available here in NZ
Thanks

Any good power bank with at least a 2.1 amp output is going to probably give you what you need. It might be a "Slow" charge by the SC standards but it will greatly extend flight time. IF you want to go full bore and fast charge, something like this should fit the bill nicely: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3H1KS3ZKWRDTY&dchild=1&keywords=quick+charge+power+bank+usb+c&qid=1611574468&sprefix=quick+charge+power+bank,aps,188&sr=8-3

They make much more powerful units if you feel the need. How many flight batteries are we talking here? You could drop your screen brightness and that will be a huge help as well. You can adjust (As you probably know) the screen brightness on the fly using your function button. Just roll it down when your VLOS and rolling "Film". :)
Hi Repaid,
I tried a regular power bank and it 'nearly' kept it with discharge
I have 11 batteries for the MA2 and a car charger that charges 2 at once, so I can shoot for the equivalent of about 20 batteries before the batts discharge faster than the car charger can keep up :)
I know how to adjust the brightness but hadn't considered that so thanks, good advice there
The hot conditions won't be helping either, I regularly hear the wee fan kick on

Attachments

• Map of scale of NZ to Europe.JPG
    Map of scale of NZ to Europe.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for that
Sorry I don't know the 2 members you mentioned, I've only been droning since May last year when I got my MA2 ( and a 2nd one since ) and although the rest of the world views New Zealand as a small island at the bottom of the world, it's bigger than you think ( See Map )
Stu
But it is in the Shire, so it's far, far away :)

Reactions: DronePhotosNZ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman