DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help please, my mavic air is not taking good videos.

freshcane

Reactions
so a week ago i got a mavic air (fly more combo). took it out for my first flight, and the quality was 720p, like a DJI tello. i’ve seen everyone’s footage and it’s SUPER good. i have a kingston 128gb SD from the DJI store, i put the videos there and it’s still crap. please help. here is the video of my flight. it’s not just video, it’s transmission quality, every time i fly it’s quality of transmission is like 720p. please help it’s urgent, i just went to singapore and couldn’t take any videos because of the crap quality. HELP

FRESHCANE

so a week ago i got a mavic air (fly more combo). took it out for my first flight, and the quality was 720p, like a DJI tello. i’ve seen everyone’s footage and it’s SUPER good. i have a kingston 128gb SD from the DJI store, i put the videos there and it’s still crap. please help. here is the video of my flight. it’s not just video, it’s transmission quality, every time i fly it’s quality of transmission is like 720p.
You say that the quality was 720p, like a DJI tello.
That might be a clue.
Was the video really 720P?
What video resolution had you set?

The camera is capable of these video resolutions:
4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 24/25/30p
2.7K: 2720×1530 24/25/30/48/50/60p
FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p
HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p

Was the video 720p because you set 720p or are you looking at low-res preview quality cached video rather than the actual video from your SD card?

If that isn't the answer, it might help to post a sample.

The Mavic Air can't film 720p, so you had to be looking at the transmitted cache footage from the phone instead of the original video on the aircraft internal storage or card.

That might be a clue.

Was the video 720p because you set 720p or are you looking at low-res preview quality cached video rather than the actual video from your SD card?

i set it to 4K/24, still nothing, here’s a vid

The Mavic Air can't film 720p, so you had to be looking at the transmitted cache footage from the phone instead of the original video on the aircraft internal storage or card.
i put it to send to the SD card, it’s not only video, it’s transmission quality, i can go 2km and still get the same quality, so it’s not signal. before in another version of dji go there used to be an option for transmission quality, now there’s not. i don’t know what to do. really pissed cause i couldn’t do any videos in singapore

That might be a clue.

and by the way thanks so much for helping out!

That might be a clue.

whats fishy is that when i change the quality, nothing happens, when i change it to 720p it stays the same, when i changed it to 4K24 it stayed the same. idk man

so a week ago i got a mavic air (fly more combo). took it out for my first flight, and the quality was 720p, like a DJI tello. i’ve seen everyone’s footage and it’s SUPER good. i have a kingston 128gb SD from the DJI store, i put the videos there and it’s still crap. please help. here is the video of my flight. it’s not just video, it’s transmission quality, every time i fly it’s quality of transmission is like 720p. please help it’s urgent, i just went to singapore and couldn’t take any videos because of the crap quality. HELP

FRESHCANE
First of all, this is posted in completely the wrong section and should be in 'Mavic Air Help'. This area is reserved for people to post/showcase their videos and photos (the clue is in the section title).
Secondly, when you pull the resultant files off of your micro SD card and onto your PC/Macs editing software, what resolution/horizontal and vertical size is being reported for each file?

That might be a clue.

First of all, this is posted in completely the wrong section and should be in 'Mavic Air Help'. This area is reserved for people to post/showcase their videos and photos (the clue is in the section title).
Secondly, when you pull the resultant files off of your micro SD card and onto your PC/Macs editing software, what resolution/horizontal and vertical size is being reported for each file?
4k/24, but when i measure the bitrate it’s 1mbps

So let's recap how you ot the footage to the device you want to edit or show it on:

There are basicly two options:

a - 1) use the cable that was in the package (the flat one) and connect the drone to your computer, switch on the drone and you will (should) see the drone and the SD card as external devices apear on your computer.

a - 2) take the SD card from the drone and put it into the computer, evt. using an adapter or a SD-Cardreader device, since most computers do not have a slot for the micro-SD-Card

b: Now you move the files you want to a directory on your harddisk and wait untill this is finished

c: you check the footage unedited, the delete the files

After you have done that, you can look at the file size of the footage, giving you an indication of the quality. Roughly said, a minute of footage in 4K will be somewhere between 800 MB and 1 GB. You also can see the size of the screen (at least if you use a mac, this is what it looks like)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-18 um 10.29.39.png

this is the raw footage you then import for editing (or if you use FCP, you simply can work with it without importing).

Is this the way you get your videos from the drone?

If you try to look the videos while still on your mobile device used to fly, you probably will see the cache, which is lower quality.

it’s not just video, it’s transmission quality, every time i fly it’s quality of transmission is like 720p. please help it’s urgent, i just went to singapore and couldn’t take any videos because of the crap quality. HELP
FRESHCANE

Read some of the replies here properly, especially post 11.

Learn to fly and especially full operations of such a piece of equipment before it is vital on such a trip.
I suspect you have some awesome footage you can edit in 4K, you just don’t know it yet.

The quality of the transmission during a flight is ALWAYS low and instable. Don't forget, the communictaion signal to and from the drone is primarly the OPERATING signal, which is important, more important then the videoquality you see during the flight. Since you only can have "half an eye" on your videoscreen (since the toher 1,5 eye are reruierd to keep on the drone), the videoquality of what you see during flight is absolutly secondary.

I assume, you don't want to crash your drone, so take an advice from a relative new pilot on a Mavic Air: Make the video absolutly secondary untill you know in your sleep how your drone is flying. I took a lot of time to get used to the reactions of the drone, ajusted some of the settings to the point where I said: Now it does exactly what i want it to do in the moment I want it. Then i started extending my limits, set up altitude to the max allowed where I was flying (120 meters) and even dared to get the drone to the point where I hardly could see it and not really see the finesses of the moves. Sweating hands and high adrenaline. Then brought the drone back in safe.

The video footage I got is not bad (quality is okay to superb) seen from the videographers point, but that was not important. I am far away from the wonderfull shots you see published sometimes, though I achieved some nice things (like the train I caught on video), but I managed to do this without any crashes or major incidents.

Regarding the video, see my post before (#11 I think)

The quality of the transmission during a flight is ALWAYS low and instable. Don't forget, the communictaion signal to and from the drone is primarly the OPERATING signal, which is important, more important then the videoquality you see during the flight. Since you only can have "half an eye" on your videoscreen (since the toher 1,5 eye are reruierd to keep on the drone), the videoquality of what you see during flight is absolutly secondary.

I assume, you don't want to crash your drone, so take an advice from a relative new pilot on a Mavic Air: Make the video absolutly secondary untill you know in your sleep how your drone is flying. I took a lot of time to get used to the reactions of the drone, ajusted some of the settings to the point where I said: Now it does exactly what i want it to do in the moment I want it. Then i started extending my limits, set up altitude to the max allowed where I was flying (120 meters) and even dared to get the drone to the point where I hardly could see it and not really see the finesses of the moves. Sweating hands and high adrenaline. Then brought the drone back in safe.

The video footage I got is not bad (quality is okay to superb) seen from the videographers point, but that was not important. I am far away from the wonderfull shots you see published sometimes, though I achieved some nice things (like the train I caught on video), but I managed to do this without any crashes or major incidents.

Regarding the video, see my post before (#11 I think)

thank you to all, i will try and pass the videos to my laptop, regards.

Have a safe flight, always keep at least 10 cm from every obstacle and then enjoy the videos you shoot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98