DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Required

Newton Heath

Reactions
Hi, i while back i posted that my Mavic 2 Hassleblad crashed after loosing what seemed to be altitude. I set off from an embankment that is level all the way around and when i came back towards the embankment my Mavic caught the top of the embankment and damaged the leg. Prior to this i had contacted the company i had bought it from and complained about the the quality of video and images it was taking. I also reported that in one day on two separate flights that the mavic came baack with contamination behind the lens (Dust particle right in line with lens) and that the camera gimbal went crazy on take off on the second flight and reported a overheat. /when i got home i contacted the vendor and stated my concerns and explained i would take it out one last time and if i was not happy i would be returning it. This was when the collision happened. after a very slow and poor response time from the vendor i decided to send it back to DJI. DJI have sent me a quote for over £500.00 to have the unit fixed. They want £25.00 for the damage to the leg which is nothing but they have also stated that it needs a new camera because of (Sic) "Camera recorded video loses pixel " . Now my original complaint was i was concerned about the picture and record quality. As yet they have failed to respond to my many questions regarding my concerns and i just wondered if somebody can look at the video of the collision and the quality of video it was recording in d-Log (i have not messed around with touching up the video only a little exposure and etc) In the video you can quite clearly see the drone drop altitude because if you look at the video when the drone stops the hills behind and the electric pylon prove its dropped altitude (which i could not see on my mobile at the time). I looked at the flight log and it shows i never touched altitude and the path is flat so can somebody please look at both log files 1. with crash and 2. with camera overheat warning and tell me your thoughts please because where i am standing i maybe getting charged for an issue that was already stated before the collision which was minor anyway. I had already reported the imu would not calibrate and stuck on page 3/5 and that the sensors would not calibrate either on my 35" curved screen. I had other issues like the fun features not working like asteroid mode and that i had to keep resetting buttons in the app to get them to activate by turning them on and back off before turning them back on again to activate them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Youtube link

included is a pano with a poor quality finish.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-11_[16-31-18].txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-13_[18-38-19].txt
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180913_193134.jpg
    20180913_193134.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • 20180913_185608.jpg
    20180913_185608.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 138
  • DJI_0012-Pano.jpg
    DJI_0012-Pano.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 125
Sorry, to hear you are having those issues. I'm afraid I can't really help you in this case, I'm sure someone here can. I would just kindly suggest you put some paragraphs in your original post, it's very hard to read the wall of text and I think it may put people off reading and responding to your post. Sorry, if I'm coming off critical, I mean the best.

Best of luck!

I tend to like the nice sqaured off block of text a little better the the scattered spaces and unused screen area. SOMETIMES. :D
I dont do logs, wait for someone that can to come along. like @BudWalker, or @sar104

Neither of those logs appears to show the crash in the video. In any case, I don't really understand the issue - it was flown sideways into the embankment. How is that an aircraft fault?
I think the video corresponds to the 2nd .txt. 28 secs into the video corresponds to about 671 secs in the .txt. But, you're right it was flown sideways into the embankment with full left aileron at time 695.6 secs. The height was -3.6 meters - below the launch site. The ultrasonic height shows the ground coming up to meet the AC.
1539834465678.png

Reactions: frank candor
Neither of those logs appears to show the crash in the video. In any case, I don't really understand the issue - it was flown sideways into the embankment. How is that an aircraft fault?

When I read the OP's post and saw the video, those were my thoughts exactly, but since I have no clue how to analyse logs I thought I might be missing something, so better leave it to the experts. I really can't see how this is more than a pilot's error.

I feel sorry for the OP and I can understand his frustration, but I don't think it's much wise to continue fly after noticing all the problems he is reporting.

I think the video corresponds to the 2nd .txt. 28 secs into the video corresponds to about 671 secs in the .txt. But, you're right it was flown sideways into the embankment with full left aileron at time 695.6 secs. The height was -3.6 meters - below the launch site. The ultrasonic height shows the ground coming up to meet the AC.
View attachment 50612
Sar101 thank you for your reply and looking at the log. The 2 logs show gimbal overload 11th and collision 13th. One question I ask is that the embankment is flat and I set off from it. From my view of the log it shows I never made any altitude adjustments ? org_14f41309ac3fc4bc_1536860356000.jpeg

Sorry, to hear you are having those issues. I'm afraid I can't really help you in this case, I'm sure someone here can. I would just kindly suggest you put some paragraphs in your original post, it's very hard to read the wall of text and I think it may put people off reading and responding to your post. Sorry, if I'm coming off critical, I mean the best.

Best of luck!
Sorry but I wrote this on my PC with paragraphs so not sure why its showing up like it is.

Reactions: Mister Pink
When I read the OP's post and saw the video, those were my thoughts exactly, but since I have no clue how to analyse logs I thought I might be missing something, so better leave it to the experts. I really can't see how this is more than a pilot's error.

I feel sorry for the OP and I can understand his frustration, but I don't think it's much wise to continue fly after noticing all the problems he is reporting.
Xagoras

You are correct but the vendor was that slow to react I had no alternative but to do more test flights to prove my case before sending it back.

Either way this unit was playing up with all sorts of issues prior to the collision. From my point of view the log shows I set off at - 4 meters which is incorrect given I was on a raised embankment. It crashed at -3.5 meters according to Sar, so it lost half a meter without me touching altitude according to the log from my understanding.

Unless Sar has software in more detail about stick movements? The video shows the unit lose altitude when it stops before doing a 360.

One question I ask is that the embankment is flat and I set off from it. From my view of the log it shows I never made any altitude adjustments ?
You have excessive expectations about the altitude hold / lack of understanding of the height measurement system. Especially in this particular situation of progressively varying ground level, that is bound to be sensed by the bottom sensors and part of it to be considered as a height measurement error the aircraft needs to correct. For this particular kind of situation knowing how height measurement works it would be wiser to actually disable the bottom sensors first.
If you don't know then you should be attentive to what the aircraft is doing - it was pretty obvious on the image during the trip "away" and at the turning point that the aircraft went down, you should have seen that. Would likely have been obvious as well if you looked at the aircraft itself instead of the video feed.

Last edited:
Sar101 thank you for your reply and looking at the log. The 2 logs show gimbal overload 11th and collision 13th. One question I ask is that the embankment is flat and I set off from it. From my view of the log it shows I never made any altitude adjustments ? View attachment 50621
But, you did make altitude adjustments. Here are some negative throttle adjustments prior to hitting the embankment
1539852944478.png

What's puzzling is the uncommanded ascents earlier in the flight. These appear to be associated with a value of NaviAdvLanding for flyCState.
1539853191198.png

I suspect there is something not quite right with the .txt conversion. Were you using one of the navigation modes?

But, you did make altitude adjustments. Here are some negative throttle adjustments prior to hitting the embankment
View attachment 50624

What's puzzling is the uncommanded ascents earlier in the flight. These appear to be associated with a value of NaviAdvLanding for flyCState.
View attachment 50625

I suspect there is something not quite right with the .txt conversion. Were you using one of the navigation modes?
No I was flying in P mode

View attachment 50624

View attachment 50625

Yes sorry the flight log is continous so it seems. The first part of the flight I was testing some of the flight modes, what I found was asteroid mode would not work. I then swapped back to p mode, so that is why at the beginning of the log it shows the spiral and point of interest.

Yes sorry the flight log is continous so it seems. The first part of the flight I was testing some of the flight modes, what I found was asteroid mode would not work. I then swapped back to p mode, so that is why at the beginning of the log it shows the spiral and point of interest.
I think you're probably concerned about the altitude adjustment that occurred immediately before the lateral move towards the embankment? You didn't use the throttle after this point. From the video and the log it appears that the AC thought it had gained about a meter in altitude and, in response, lowered itself that meter. As @Kilrah pointed out this can easily occur in flight conditions like these. It's not uncommon for the altitude to be adjusted when the AC comes to a stop after a run at full elevator or full aileron.
1539866465705.png

Reactions: sar104
View attachment 50624

View attachment 50625

Sorry BudWalker i have been thanking Sar104, its the way the thread is showing on my mobile. I Appreciate you efforts dude,
View attachment 50624

View attachment 50625

Sorry BudWalker i have been thanking Sar when its you who has been looking at the log. Thread hard to follow on my mobile, much appreciated for your efforts.

When i set off 10 minutes 20 seconds into the flight after switching from different mode back to P-Mode it gave a height of -6ft 2 for some reason looking at the log via phantom Help.
The unit was on top of the embankment at that point so not sure why reading a negative altitude? at collision with embankment it was showing
11m 36.7s P-GPS 20satellites -11.8ft so that is a loss of over 5 feet. Reading the log file via the site it shows no altitude adjustments via stick movements?

Can i trust the log read out from this site? 5ft seem to be a great deal of altitude loss?

Regards

Sorry BudWalker i have been thanking Sar104, its the way the thread is showing on my mobile. I Appreciate you efforts dude,

Sorry BudWalker i have been thanking Sar when its you who has been looking at the log. Thread hard to follow on my mobile, much appreciated for your efforts.

When i set off 10 minutes 20 seconds into the flight after switching from different mode back to P-Mode it gave a height of -6ft 2 for some reason looking at the log via phantom Help.
The unit was on top of the embankment at that point so not sure why reading a negative altitude? at collision with embankment it was showing
11m 36.7s P-GPS 20satellites -11.8ft so that is a loss of over 5 feet. Reading the log file via the site it shows no altitude adjustments via stick movements?

Can i trust the log read out from this site? 5ft seem to be a great deal of altitude loss?

Regards
Also forgot to mention it also shows I never altered altitude via sticks on the way out to where it does a 360 and then drops altitude. Did you say there was evidence of manual altitude adjustment on the way out. If so can you give me any indication of where that occurred please.

Surprised at the degree of damage to that leg given the low speed and altitude.
More concerned about the fact DJI said it needs a new camera because of camera recording issues. Funny that i reported camera issues before collision which proves my point the camera was faulty all along. Looks like DJI are trying to pass the blame on to me because of the crash. Good job i have footage before the crash. But yes the leg should not have damaged like that in my opinion due to it only clipping the top of the embankment. Not like it fell from the sky or hit a building.

You have excessive expectations about the altitude hold / lack of understanding of the height measurement system. Especially in this particular situation of progressively varying ground level, that is bound to be sensed by the bottom sensors and part of it to be considered as a height measurement error the aircraft needs to correct. For this particular kind of situation knowing how height measurement works it would be wiser to actually disable the bottom sensors first.
If you don't know then you should be attentive to what the aircraft is doing - it was pretty obvious on the image during the trip "away" and at the turning point that the aircraft went down, you should have seen that. Would likely have been obvious as well if you looked at the aircraft itself instead of the video feed.

Thanks for your comments Kilrah, but i was stood on the embankment and the bricks of the old reservoir actually made it difficult to see an height fluctuation. Why would you suggest excessive expectations for the drone being able to keep a certain height? its a £1300 drone not £100. I have seen many Youtube videos of the Mavic 2 in similar situations and i can't remember them dropping height by around 5ft. In my original post i stated that i could not calibrate the IMU or Sensors. I spoke with the supplier and they agreed it was ok for me to test the drone once more before returning it. The whole idea of the flight was to prove nothing was working as expected. It is subjective to say keep an eye on the drone and not the screen, i'm sure there are thousands of people out there who have flown their drone kilometres with only camera view?

Just as a point of interest where does it state in the manual that the drone is capable of losing altitude because i must of missed that.

Regards

Thanks for your comments Kilrah, but i was stood on the embankment and the bricks of the old reservoir actually made it difficult to see an height fluctuation. Why would you suggest excessive expectations for the drone being able to keep a certain height? its a £1300 drone not £100. I have seen many Youtube videos of the Mavic 2 in similar situations and i can't remember them dropping height by around 5ft. In my original post i stated that i could not calibrate the IMU or Sensors. I spoke with the supplier and they agreed it was ok for me to test the drone once more before returning it. The whole idea of the flight was to prove nothing was working as expected. It is subjective to say keep an eye on the drone and not the screen, i'm sure there are thousands of people out there who have flown their drone kilometres with only camera view?

Just as a point of interest where does it state in the manual that the drone is capable of losing altitude because i must of missed that.

Regards

It isn't that you missed anything in the manual about it changing altitude, it's that you missed noting that the manual doesn't promise that it won't. A couple of meters variation is neither uncommon nor unexpected for an aircraft that has a barometric sensor as its primary absolute altitude measurement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4