DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with mavic air 2

cellis50

Reactions
Can anyone tell me if the ma2 will work if I’m in a class c air space ? I’m only a block away from being outside of the zone and if it won’t start up then I guess I can’t get one if I can’t fly at home. Thanks

You can Google dji geozones and the actual geofences will be shown on the map where you can then look for the place of your interest

Can anyone tell me if the ma2 will work if I’m in a class c air space ? I’m only a block away from being outside of the zone and if it won’t start up then I guess I can’t get one if I can’t fly at home. Thanks

I believe you could also download the free B4UFLY app and that should tell you if you’re able to fly in a particular area.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I believe you could also download the free B4UFLY app and that should tell you if you’re able to fly in a particular area.
Thanks I have a mavic mini now and I can fly it at home just as long I give my ok to the questions my remote ask me every time I fly because I’m in that zone. I don’t know if the mavic air 2 is the same setup. I’m hoping it is but if it won’t start because I’m in that zone then it’s not going to be any good for me to buy one.

You keep asking a question you can easily answer yourself. Go to the DJI FlySafe website (link is in post #3) and see the Geo-zones where you live. Your MA2 will not take off without prior authorization/unlocking if you live in a blue authorization zone or a red restricted zone. You can self-unlock the former following some realy easy steps (DJI requires that you verify your identity with a phone number or a credit card number to do that) but you will need an authorisation letter to unlock the later. Everything you will need to know is in that website.

You keep asking a question you can easily answer yourself. Go to the DJI FlySafe website (link is in post #3) and see the Geo-zones where you live. Your MA2 will not take off without prior authorization/unlocking if you live in a blue authorization zone or a red restricted zone. You can self-unlock the former following some realy easy steps (DJI requires that you verify your identity with a phone number or a credit card number to do that) but you will need an authorisation letter to unlock the later. Everything you will need to know is in that website.
Ok thank you for your help I’ll go to that site. Thanks again

You can Google dji geozones and the actual geofences will be shown on the map where you can then look for the place of your interest
I just looked at dji geo zones and really liked what I saw but I have a question.
There is an area that shows safe to fly in geo zones (actually it shows as recommended) but with B4u Fly shows to be restricted/do not fly.
How do I know which one is accurate? The area in question is the west side of the Organ Mountains on the outskirts of Las Cruces, NM, USA.
The mountains are more like huge rocks but would love to explore them up close...thanks!
EDIT: Attached is a screen shot from geo zones of where I want to fly (highlighted in yellow)

Attachments

• geo zones.JPG
    geo zones.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I just looked at dji geo zones and really liked what I saw but I have a question.
There is an area that shows safe to fly in geo zones (actually it shows as recommended) but with B4u Fly shows to be restricted/do not fly.
How do I know which one is accurate? The area in question is the west side of the Organ Mountains on the outskirts of Las Cruces, NM, USA.
The mountains are more like huge rocks but would love to explore them up close...thanks!
EDIT: Attached is a screen shot from geo zones of where I want to fly (highlighted in yellow)
DJI Geozones technically enables your aircraft to fly (ie, turn the propellers fast enough, with self unlocking or not) and maintain max altitude limit of 120m or 500m) , but does not give you (legal) permission to fly. For lawful flight in USA, maybe B4u Fly or kittyhawk is a good app to show and obtain permission. I'm not sure. I'd be a bad reference since I'm not from USA. The bad thing is that worldwide, there are often NON-overlaps of areas where flight and takeoff is enabled by the DJI Geozones AND area's where legal flight is allowed. IE it does not allow take off in legally clear airspace or worst, it allows flight in illegal airspace! That is the frustration we often have.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I think the main issue the OP is dealing with is being only one block from where he estimates the class C airspaces ends. Is the GEO fencing accurate to one block or about 300 feet?

IE it does not allow take off in legally clear airspace or worst, it allows flight in illegal airspace!
I apologize for high jacking this thread but just want to say...I'm going to try it as soon as my shiny new MA2 arrives.
If it allows me to fly and the police show up and haul me off to jail, I hope I can still access this forum :)

I think the main issue the OP is dealing with is being only one block from where he estimates the class C airspaces ends. Is the GEO fencing accurate to one block or about 300 feet?
If arrested and charged then it depends whether the judge gives any benefit of doubt....my opinion here is always have safety margin and don't do anything doubtful. Common sense must prevail.

If arrested and charged then it depends whether the judge gives any benefit of doubt....my opinion here is always have safety margin and don't do anything doubtful. Common sense must prevail.
It's a very desolate area and I feel as long as I don't go above say 300 ft and hug the mountain, the geo zone image would be a good argument :)

I was more talking about the OP's situation. I assume 1 block away means its populated as in a street, so there is bound to be people. For the case of Fort Bliss / Organ, if its desolate I'd fly but don't quote me.. :p

I was more talking about the OP's situation. I assume 1 block away means its populated as in a street, so there is bound to be people. For the case of Fort Bliss / Organ, if its desolate I'd fly but don't quote me.. :p
Dang, so I hijacked again...I'll just bow out now and say Thanks all! ?

Reactions: pelagic_one

What if your local airport supports LAANC?

I don't think the issue is being arrested but will he be able to take off. The GEO Fencing is fairly precise but not down to the level of a block. The circle around the airport isn't always a perfect circle with a radius of 5 miles. Take a look at this section of the GEO Fencing map and I can see that in some situations it might not be perfectly clear if your house is within the authorization zone.

Geo Fence.jpg

I live about 4 miles from the airport. First day flying I was able to take off from my backyard with no issues. The second attempt the next day, it won't allow me to take off until I do some kind of registration through the fly app with the code DJI I sent to my phone. I haven't had any problems since then. I fly way below 30ft in my backyard and it warns me whenever an aircraft is nearby.

Reactions: Ars3nal3432
If you are really in Class C airspace, to be legal you need get authorization via LAANC (using AirMap or Kittyhawk apps), then you can self unlock inside the DJI app.

If you are really in Class C airspace, to be legal you need get authorization via LAANC (using AirMap or Kittyhawk apps), then you can self unlock inside the DJI app.

It sounds too complicated. I fly very low just for testing only. This is my first attempt on active tracking around my neighborhood. The airport is literally less than 4 miles away and I am always scared when flying hoping the drone doesn't take off on its own. Well, it looks like I can not attach a file. 895mb too large for the forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard