DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with "Precision Landing" feature

camhabib

Reactions
I'm hoping someone can provide me with a little more information about the precision landing feature for the Mavic. When enabled, do I need to manually do anything (hover for a certain period, height, etc), or does the feature take care of everything automatically? I don't get a message that it's been enabled on my phone, which makes me wonder if I'm not letting it hover for long enough. Further, the handful of times I've used it, it hasn't been all the precise, with the drone usually landing on the edge or side of the landing pad (bright orange against an asphalt ground). How precise is this feature supposed to be? Thanks!

Reactions: Budmancan
I'm hoping someone can provide me with a little more information about the precision landing feature for the Mavic. When enabled, do I need to manually do anything (hover for a certain period, height, etc), or does the feature take care of everything automatically? I don't get a message that it's been enabled on my phone, which makes me wonder if I'm not letting it hover for long enough. Further, the handful of times I've used it, it hasn't been all the precise, with the drone usually landing on the edge or side of the landing pad (bright orange against an asphalt ground). How precise is this feature supposed to be? Thanks!
Enable precision landing in the option menu, then click on the pop-up box when you hit the auto take off icon, the drone will automatically take off and hover at thirty feet. My Mavic will return with in two inches or less.

Enable precision landing in the option menu, then click on the pop-up box when you hit the auto take off icon, the drone will automatically take off and hover at thirty feet. My Mavic will return with in two inches or less.
If the option isn't enabled does the box still show up on takeoff?

When you use auto takeoff there is a little check box for precision landing before you swipe to the right to initiate takeoff. If you do not check it the Mavic will take off but only to about 4 feet and then you pilot it away. If you check the little box then as Bunny said it will go higher to hover. Give it a little bit to be sure it has done its visual orientation then pilot away. Without precision you will Return to Home and land within some feet. With precision landing as Bunny said it will land within a few inches.

It's in the downloadable manual.
I never use the app to take off unless I am doing hand launch.
Left stick up to hover about 1 1/5. Metres then if all green off I go.
Be aware if you auto launch then use precision landing feature before getting proper GPS you will get a fly away.
I believe a large amount of launching accidents happen this way as there is a tendency to hurry the flight.

Hover about 10 feet for about 5-10 seconds from your take off point and it'll land very close to where it took off from (2 inches off maybe).

I do this every time I fly and my Mavic lands almost where it took off from. It's only an inch or two off from its take off point.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find it on my mini iPad. Can't find anything called, "options menu". Is that an android feature?
If someone could take the time to give the page number in the manual I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
.. actually, neither a hover or the full climb to 10m/30 feet are required for precision landing to work, even though the manual mentions a climb to 10m.
We did some testing earlier in the year and ascertained the initial vertical climb segment is what is actually required. You can even spin with full yaw the instant you take off and continue doing so as you climb to 6m then fly off laterally and it will still land precisely.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I usually find it incredibly accurate. The only time it is off, is if I launch it in windy conditions, and the take off isn't quite vertical. It can be as much as 18" out then. Still impressive, mind you :)

Reactions: snipe
I agree with most posters, auto-take off is not required. I find, as has been mentioned, that a moderate take off speed straight up for about 10meters is required. It will come back and land perfectly, right at my feet on my deck. However I still keep my finger on the cancel button with my eyes peeled on the expected landing point, since there are obstacles around. Also, if you have not experienced this capability yet, when it starts the landing sequence, it might not be lined up perfectly. It will begin it's descent then start adjusting while a notification pops up informing you that it is locating the precise landing point.

Pretty cool, but not something you want to press and forget, in case it has not recorded the landing spot precisely.

Reactions: Condor
When you click the auto take off icon on the left of your screen, there should be an option saying something like, record exact take off point, and the drone will take off and slowly climb to 20ft.

Here's how accurate precision landing is... I miss labeled it in the video when I made this a few months back, by referring to it as the smart RTH... but you'll get the idea...

As @Logger pointed out above, you don't have to hover for several seconds, nor do you have to climb to 10m. I still climb to about 30 feet, out of habit, but it works just as well at slightly lower takeoff altitudes.

Last edited:
Yes, your Mavic must be connected to DJI GO. You can find that setting here:

DJI-GO-Precision-Landing.jpg

Yes, your Mavic must be connected to DJI GO. You can find that setting here:

View attachment 15771
I fly mostly with Litchi, not DJI GO. It works fine as long as I remember to hover at about 30 feet for 10-15 seconds or so.

I fly mostly with Litchi, not DJI GO.
Yep -- it'll work with other apps too since that setting is stored on the Mavic. The Mavic doesn't even need to be connected to the remote controller and/or app when it lands.

It works fine as long as I remember to hover at about 30 feet for 10-15 seconds or so.
You shouldn't have to hover. The key is to ascend straight up for at least 30 feet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost