DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here is it...HOW AMAZON WILL DELIVER...

I think I remember seeing the patent for this a few years back. It is an interesting concept and people speculated at the time it made sense for Amazon to deploy basically a floating warehouse for large events or gatherings...which would allow for real-time deliveries.

Now with AI, I’m guessing small floating warehouses could be stocked with high demand items near densely populated areas with close to real-time delivery to your home. That is crazy to imagine when you consider playing Pac-Man in the arcade as a kid was considered cutting edge back in the day.

But.. Will the business model survive. Balance the cost of lost drones and parcels against saving a day on delivery. Particularly for small value items.
Honestly can't see it being more than a stunt.

I can’t see the delivery costs for the consumer being the same as normal delivery or it will run at a significant loss. I wonder how many people will be prepared to pay extra to get their parcel 24 hours earlier.

I'm sure the citenzry will love those floating behemoths in their neigborhoods almost as much as they love the illuminated billboards every 20 feet on the highways.

But.. Will the business model survive. Balance the cost of lost drones and parcels against saving a day on delivery. Particularly for small value items.
Honestly can't see it being more than a stunt.
My home delivery experience as a "non prime member" using UPS / FedEx web tracking, deliveries the last mile is not the problem. The bottleneck is at the warehouse by a factor of a fortnight time. Maybe the drone would be better utilized inside the warehouse instead of the last mile ?
Saving a day on delivery, when a storm/weather, keeps them grounded for 72 hours ? Weather wouldn't ground them if utilized during sorting inside a warehouse..
The stunt will be; explaining to DEA when a narcotics package shows up missing after a programing error causes a collision with trees/wires.
The cost can be passed on and shared by everyone regardless if they're prime members. Some technology may trickle down to hobbyists, so it's all good - a publicity stunt that will provide technology benefits.
What's "instant gratification" going to cost ?

Last edited:
Still don't think it's going to save anything. And with the mothership, it'll be a bigger problem than the hobbyists.

Warning...the mother ship is approaching...autolanding your drone.

Reactions: rcourtney671
The cost today in shipping is the delivery from distribution center to point of delivery. I think it will be especially valuable in suburbs where the distance flown is reasonable and driving time for drivers is significant. But I doubt this mother ship makes sense, just launch from the distribution center or drive multiple drones to a convenient point and have him launch several from there. Blimps are a very expensive thing to maintain.
Cities have a drop off problem. Can most roofs be used for drop offs? Rural areas have a distance problem. I am 55 miles from the UPS distribution center. But the sending a truck and launching multiple drones from convenient spots may work in this case also.
Yes, it may allow faster delivery but the big attraction is reduced costs. It is to be seen if it will be successful.

Yes, it may allow faster delivery but the big attraction is reduced costs. It is to be seen if it will be successful.

I'd be amazed if it costs less for drone delivery than by normal road delivery.

Even more interesting, they are putting potential pilots through a test. This guy is well on the way to passing... (something or other)... Well you need a lot of gas to keep those balloons up.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661