DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi everyone from NE Indiana

finity

Reactions
Brand new to this whole drone thing. So new that I don't even have a drone yet!! :D But I'm obviously leaning heavily toward a DJI and probably the Mini 3 Pro.

I've definitely got a question or two so I'll do some poking around here to see if I can find the answers and if not I'll ask at that point.

I'm really looking forward to getting my feet wet because this hobby looks like it'll be great fun!

Hello from the Crossroads of America finity

You should take the TRUST test now and keep a copy with you when you fly.

It's a free no fail test that's easy to take.

When you get your aircraft, you'll need to register it with the FAA if it's over 249g and used recreationally.

The mini's won't need registered unless you add accessories that pushes it past the 249g weight limit. It's only $5 and the numbers look cool.

Always room for another Hoosier here on the site.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

I've already taken the Trust test so that's a check. :)

It's fairly inevitable that I'll just register the thing anyway whichever one I decide to get. Seems easier to me to just do it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Where can someone fly in the state without running afoul of the flying over people rule and not having any access to private land? That's the really big thing that's stopping me from taking the final plunge - is it worth it if I can't find any good legal places to fly?

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Here's an app that may help with the airspace.

B4UFLY App | Federal Aviation Administration

The apps won't show the restrictions of local ordinances pertaining to parks, property, etc.

You'll need to research the local stuff.

I can fly in the city parks, but not the county parks in my area.

Your results may vary.

Where can someone fly in the state without running afoul of the flying over people rule and not having any access to private land?
The issue of flying over people is really an issue of overdoing a good thing. If you can fly your drone at a park and there are people there, just don't fly over them. Those who have gotten into trouble most likely spent time hovering or flying real slow.

Now there will always be someone who interprets the law in any "twisted" manner they can to try to prevent you from dong something they do not want you to do… Have you ever been someplace that someone in a position of "authority" (and I put that in quotes because in most cases they are Self-Appointed…) they this person tells that something is against the "their policy?"

I have been in these instances, I usually call someone else over and ask they what the Policy is for "whatever" and when that second person has no idea of what I am talking about, I tell the first-one to go get the manager and or call the police…

If you search the "this happened to me" you read about all manner of "vigilantes" trying to tell you that you are breaking the law or even trying to tell the police what the law is…

Here are couple of links to scare the bejesus out of you and how our members handled it…

Some of our members will only fly in "stealth" mode, meaning they hide in their vehicles, or fly from behind bushes…

My advice, Google the rules and laws in your flying area. For insatance, I live in a Class D Airspace of Langley AFB and my home is just barely inside the Zero Max Altitude quadrant. Meaning I live in a "Drone Taxi Zone" but I can fly my drone up and down the street all day as the street is just inside the 400' Flight Zone… I just cannot land in my driveway…

Here is the link to flying your drone in Indiana…

I have similar rules and law here in Virginia, but my county does not allow the flying af any drone on county property, such as schools, parks, boat landings, etc…

I will be posting my Biggo Welcome letter after this, but I wanted you to know you can fly, maybe not everywhere, but with common sense and within the rules and laws of your area…

LT signing off, for now…

Brand new to this whole drone thing. So new that I don't even have a drone yet!! :D But I'm obviously leaning heavily toward a DJI and probably the Mini 3 Pro.

OK, Now you get the Biggo Welcome Note…

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do… You wrote that you already have the TRUST Certificate and you may get your drone registered. Whether you do or not create an account and get registered on the FAADroneZone, Lots of good information there.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Indiana, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

In case you do decide to buy the Mini 3, below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

I've already downloaded that app and a couple of the other big ones (airmap and air control).

As far as I know county and town parks are OK.

So I'm really doing my research.

Hopefully I'll figure it out eventually and I won't be freaked out about getting a huge fine from the FAA for an "oops".

OK, Now you get the Biggo Welcome Note…
Thanks! Lots of good info there for sure.

I think I'm doing most of the prep type stuff already. I've watched hours now of "beginners" drone video's and even watched a lot of 107 test course work video's and even taken a couple of "practice tests".

I really want to do this right.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Hopefully I'll figure it out eventually and I won't be freaked out about getting a huge fine from the FAA for an "oops".
I think you can relaxed a bit, your comments show that you are thoughtful and concerned, so you probably will not do something "stupid" and you need to know that there is a difference between stupid and just not knowing. There are lots of horror stories of huge fines from the FAA, but take into account what the infraction was. Flying at an airport, flying so high that the drone just missed and a manned aircraft, flying into a ballfield, etc… not some minor mistake that is not done on a regular basis, like flying your drone momentarily just out of sight, etc…

If you really want to know the truth first hand, call the FAA directly or write an email, I have found them friendly and helpful. I have called and emailed and in all cases, I got answers immediately or a follow up phone call or email.

FAA UAS Support Center
[email protected]
844 FLY MY UA | 844-359-6982

LT Out…

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I've definitely got a question or two so I'll do some poking around here to see if I can find the answers and if not I'll ask at that point.

I'm really looking forward to getting my feet wet because this hobby looks like it'll be great fun!
Welcome to the forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_