DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from Italy

Hi everybody,
Thank you for admitting me to this community!
I am a newbie in the world of drones and I don't own one yet. I live in Italy (Florence) and I have waited for the italian regulations to adhere to european laws before buying a drone.
I will probably opt for a light UAV (<250 grams) because there is no need for license in order to fly it.
Since I still have to start practicing piloting, I am still uncertain if buying a rather inexpensive Mavic Mini or jump to the newer but more pricey Mini 2, given the fact that I would also like to practice with some 3D mapping and, at present, Mini 2 SDK are not available and it is not clear when they will be.
Any advices?
Thanks
With the lack of obstacle avoidance sensors 3rd party app developers like Drone Deploy may not ever support the Mini or Mini 2.

Welcome to the forum! Having visited your lovely city on a couple occasions, I could spend weeks there just enjoying the architecture. With a Mavic, I could imagine months of flying around. Perhaps you’ll find a used Mini Fly More Combo on the Ponte Vecchio? ;)

Safe flying to you in 2021!
I don’t believe you can fly on Ponte Vecchio and in general in all Florence neither with a Mini 2 or Mavic Mini. Take a look at this image
Hi pelagic_one, hope you can come back as soon as this covid19 madness is over...
Ah, just checked... no second hand Minis on Ponte Vecchio! :p

Attachments

• 0C024CB9-F32D-43F3-AEE9-D05DA8C912DE.png
    0C024CB9-F32D-43F3-AEE9-D05DA8C912DE.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 9
Low, slow in wide open areas at first, enjoy.
Concentrate on flying first, you can investigate photography later.

Read up on RTH behaviours, then once you think you understand a particular behaviour ask here and if your understanding is confirmed try it.
I find experiencing things first hand is a much better imprinter than reading about them.
Whilst wind is not as big a concern with the Mini 2, read up on how to deal with it and the connection between gimbal tilt and maximum available speed.

Personally I think an understanding of how the CSC does/'does-not' work is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Hi,

I am a newbie to drone, and am evaluating buying the mini 2 since it is less than 250 g to avoid most major registration.

One question I had is what type of requirement do I need in order to operate in Italy, where I will be heading in 2 weeks. Do I need an operator license, register my drone and get insurance? All the sites have been very confusing, so I am a bit lost here.

Also, would it be worth going through the process and get the Air 2?

Look forward to hearing from the experts here.

Many thanks!
Tim

Hi,

I am a newbie to drone, and am evaluating buying the mini 2 since it is less than 250 g to avoid most major registration.

One question I had is what type of requirement do I need in order to operate in Italy, where I will be heading in 2 weeks. Do I need an operator license, register my drone and get insurance? All the sites have been very confusing, so I am a bit lost here.

Also, would it be worth going through the process and get the Air 2?

Look forward to hearing from the experts here.

Many thanks!
Tim

Hi,
I suggest you to visit the ENAC web Pages for all the informations you need. The Flight rules are the same of the European regulation. To know where is possible to fly in Italy you must refer to the site www.d-Flight.it and register on it.
However is strictly forbidden to fly near the airports, on the main cities (Rome, Milan, Florence, Venice ecc.) and over natural parks

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Welcome to the forum, welcome to the good place :), greetings from British Columbia. Looking forward to footage from
Italy, some fine land there.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird