DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from Norfolk UK.

Rockingbilly

Reactions
Hi Everyone, joined today from Norfolk in England. Just replaced my Phantom 3 pro which I had for 12 months. Although I did not get many chances to fly it, I did enjoy it. Now that I have more time on my hands I have purchased a Mavic Air 2 having watched just about every You Tube film on dji drones. I bought the combo and have had two flights with it and I love it. However, I'll demonstrate my lack of knowledge with a couple of questions if I may. Firstly, Although I have Photoshop Elements 2019 on my MacBook Pro, I tend to use Apple's own photo editing package. So.....if I take pictures on my Mavic air 2 and choose joint JPEG/RAW rather than JPEG, how does that affect how I edit the photo? Secondly, I used an Apple air 2 tablet with my Phantom 3, and I have the attachment to use it on the Mavic. However, its a bit un wieldy and I'm thinking of changing to the smaller Apple i pad mini , so does it have to be cellular as well as having wifi, and I understand some of the earlier models don't accept all apps (like DJI Fly).

Welcome to the forum! :)

I have purchased a Mavic Air 2 having watched just about every You Tube film on dji drones
Here are some things to help you get started with your Mavic Air 2:
  • The current Mavic Air 2 manual can be downloaded here (it doesn't come in the box). Other important documents can be found on the Mavic Air 2 downloads page.

• Check out this getting started guide for some tips not found in the Mavic Air 2 manual.

• Your drone batteries will last longer if you use and maintain them like this.

• Practice flying outdoors in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles. Don't attempt to fly inside your house or in other confined locations.

• The drone records flight data each time you fly. You can decrypt and view those flight logs with these tools.

• Check out MavicHelp.com for commonly used accessories you might need.

So.....if I take pictures on my Mavic air 2 and choose joint JPEG/RAW rather than JPEG, how does that affect how I edit the photo?
Choosing JPEG/RAW will save the photos in both JPEG and RAW format (two separate files). If you don't plan to edit RAW photos, then just select JPEG.

does it have to be cellular as well as having wifi
Wi-Fi only is fine if you don't need to use any features of DJI Fly that require an Internet connection while flying. An Internet connection is not required to fly.

understand some of the earlier models don't accept all apps (like DJI Fly)
You can find the current list of mobile devices DJI supports here.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.
I occasionally use a 10.2 Ipad (2019) non-cellular, with no concerns, except "find my drone" and any internet connected apps are unavailable. Others may weigh in with their experience. My go to is a Samsung Note 8.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Rockingbilly.

I'm thinking of changing to the smaller Apple i pad mini , so does it have to be cellular as well as having wifi,

For the past three years, I've used a Wi-Fi only iPad mini 4 for my Spark running the DJI Go4 app and I use it for the Mavic Air 2 running the Go Fly app.

The mini4 runs both but I have been thinking about upgrading to a mini5 in the future.

As others have stated, an internet connection is not required but from what I understand, the Wi-Fi only models of mini's do not have a GPS chip installed. They have a compass, but no GPS. I think you can by a cellular iPad but don't have to activate the service in order to use the GPS.

A GPS device will allow you to "Find My Drone" and change the "Home Point" to you if your original position has changed from the launch point such as walking, driving, or on a boat. You'll want the aircraft to come home to you in a RTH home situation IF you reset it to your new location.

I haven't had to use ether yet.
So far so good. ?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hi Everyone, joined today from Norfolk in England. Just replaced my Phantom 3 pro which I had for 12 months. Although I did not get many chances to fly it, I did enjoy it. Now that I have more time on my hands I have purchased a Mavic Air 2 having watched just about every You Tube film on dji drones. I bought the combo and have had two flights with it and I love it. However, I'll demonstrate my lack of knowledge with a couple of questions if I may. Firstly, Although I have Photoshop Elements 2019 on my MacBook Pro, I tend to use Apple's own photo editing package. So.....if I take pictures on my Mavic air 2 and choose joint JPEG/RAW rather than JPEG, how does that affect how I edit the photo? Secondly, I used an Apple air 2 tablet with my Phantom 3, and I have the attachment to use it on the Mavic. However, its a bit un wieldy and I'm thinking of changing to the smaller Apple i pad mini , so does it have to be cellular as well as having wifi, and I understand some of the earlier models don't accept all apps (like DJI Fly).
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air 2, I absolutely love mine! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803