DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi questions about your mavic experience

Hoobness

Reactions
Hi, does anyone own the mavic just to play with it? I'm into RC, mostly large scale cars n trucks. Been watching the quadcopters evolve and when I saw the mavic it was the first time I felt like it was the one I wanted. I've owned cheapos, and quickly learned that without an fpv camera it get difficult and frustrating flying it because it's a square and i quickly can't figure out which way it's facing lol. On to fpv.
Was thinking of a luminier qav, or something similar but I don't know if they have the intelligence the mavic has. I like how the mavic has Rth, how it will hover if you let of the sticks etc. I love everything about the mavic except it seems fragile and not easily repairable plus I wish it was faster. I'd likely get some goggles, I'd rather get some fat sharks so I could use them with other stuff. Anyone out there who has it to mostly fly for the fun of it?

Thank you

the mavic and pretty much all of the DJI line are filming drones primarily.

Thus they have the tech to support that, if you want a good drone for filming all sorts go with that but if you want to race then other solutions best and ones that do come with cameras.
I think the more racing drones don't bother with the tech in order to reduce weight and thus no gps to hover I think a lot are just "drop" if lose connection

Reactions: Bergumbira
I use my mavic for recreational purposes too. Take some good stills or video when i am traveling or hiking for example. :)

Reactions: Hoobness
Hi, does anyone own the mavic just to play with it? I'm into RC, mostly large scale cars n trucks. Been watching the quadcopters evolve and when I saw the mavic it was the first time I felt like it was the one I wanted. I've owned cheapos, and quickly learned that without an fpv camera it get difficult and frustrating flying it because it's a square and i quickly can't figure out which way it's facing lol. On to fpv.
Was thinking of a luminier qav, or something similar but I don't know if they have the intelligence the mavic has. I like how the mavic has Rth, how it will hover if you let of the sticks etc. I love everything about the mavic except it seems fragile and not easily repairable plus I wish it was faster. I'd likely get some goggles, I'd rather get some fat sharks so I could use them with other stuff. Anyone out there who has it to mostly fly for the fun of it?

Thank you
There are ways to make it go faster and many other tweaks. All you have to do is kneel and embrace the dark side.
You would also be surprized how repairable and robust the mavic actually is.

Reactions: Wersh and Hoobness
I agree with kidroc that if you don’t like photography or video recording scenery, you would starting to get bored pretty quick

I use my mavic for recreational purposes too. Take some good stills or video when i am traveling or hiking for example. :)
My job has me traveling 90% of the time. I spent the summer in the Smoky mountains, and now I'm in DC, soon to be in the keys and Miami. I think just being able to go fly around and look at stuff from other views not possible from the ground would be fun. Smoky mountains has tons of waterfalls that I remember thinking would be cool to fly it up and around as the water Cascades. Here in DC I don't think I will ever fly it, except for fun in parking garages. Yes I would take pics etc.

Thank you for the variety of points of view.

Reactions: GooterFly68
the mavic and pretty much all of the DJI line are filming drones primarily.

Thus they have the tech to support that, if you want a good drone for filming all sorts go with that but if you want to race then other solutions best and ones that do come with cameras.
I think the more racing drones don't bother with the tech in order to reduce weight and thus no gps to hover I think a lot are just "drop" if lose connection

That last paragraph is why I don't like what I see with the diy hobby drones. I know they have rth, GPS, and are incredibly programmable but I haven't seen anything 'yet" that can be as intelligent as the mavic. I watched a guy fly a qav250 and it looked exhausting since you're constantly on the sticks buzzing it around, looking out for obstacles and ground, and landing it was a joke. Just slow it down and make the crash as gentle as possible.
I'll likely go with the mavic and hope that DJI hops on the fun wagon

I just fly for the fun of it. I also like photography, done a lot with my SLR and DSLR, but now am thinking of expanding into arial photography and videos. New challenge in my old age.

I ONLY fly for fun ... it's a fantastic drone.

HUGE difference between the Mavic and a racing drone. Apples and oranges, really. So what do you want to do? Buzz around at high-speed and do acrobatics or get up high to do some flying and exploring?

I fly only for fun, and rarely shoot video -- I just like putting it up and flying around. If you're going with goggles, I'd bite the bullet and set the DJI ones -- they work perfectly with Mavic and the range is unreal. FWIW, the Mavic is probably the best overall consumer/prosumer quad on the market today. Nothing can touch it's range, both RC and live video feed.

Finally, if you're not ready to drop a bunch, the Phantom 3 is a very nice starter quad and you can usually get them for around $400 at Christmas time at Sams / Costco, etc.

how fast do you want to go?
Fast enough to feel like I'm flying in a cockpit, not floating in a hot air balloon.
If anyone knows of YouTube videos with a mavic buzzing around with a focus on fun please put a link to further sell me on the mavic .

Thank you

Reactions: Speedy 2
HUGE difference between the Mavic and a racing drone. Apples and oranges, really. So what do you want to do? Buzz around at high-speed and do acrobatics or get up high to do some flying and exploring?

I fly only for fun, and rarely shoot video -- I just like putting it up and flying around. If you're going with goggles, I'd bite the bullet and set the DJI ones -- they work perfectly with Mavic and the range is unreal. FWIW, the Mavic is probably the best overall consumer/prosumer quad on the market today. Nothing can touch it's range, both RC and live video feed.

Finally, if you're not ready to drop a bunch, the Phantom 3 is a very nice starter quad and you can usually get them for around $400 at Christmas time at Sams / Costco, etc.

I definitely want goggles, I want the immersive experience . The things I've read here sort of steer me away from them, They seem to be reviewed poorly. It'd be nice if they were on display at a store so I could see for myself and form my own opinion.

There are ways to make it go faster and many other tweaks. All you have to do is kneel and embrace the dark side.
You would also be surprized how repairable and robust the mavic actually is.
Can you explain further and or point me to sites where I could learn.

...I love everything about the mavic except it seems fragile and not easily repairable plus I wish it was faster. Anyone out there who has it to mostly fly for the fun of it?

I agree it would be great if mavic could go 5+ mph faster! 40 is still very good though especially when its relatively quiet and can power through wind. I also agree that its more delicate than some of my older, cheaper drones. Id still say its reasonably sturdy though especially if you consider the high performance and compact construction.

I agree it would be great if mavic could go 5+ mph faster! 40 is still very good though especially when its relatively quiet and can power through wind. .

My guess is the top speeds aren't random, but are based on a number of factors to maximize the efficiency and lifespan of the motors, gimbal, and batteries. My non-updated P4P could so 60mph, but I think the wind at that speed eventually fried my gimbal motor.

It depends how you want to fly the mavic. Looking at you tube clips of people videoing landscapes etc does not give a good perception of speed.

Getting it down low and hugging the terrain or flying close to obstacles while watching your monitor gives a much greater perception of the speed your doing.

Bit like 40mph in a car compared to 40mph in a gokart.

Personally I only fly for fun but not got the confidence yet to fly fast the way I want to. Mavics a great aircraft, worth every penny.

The Mavic is easy to learn to fly and the craft itself is strong and pretty well put together.

Don't buy it if you intend flying it using a modern Android device.
Doesn't operate well on anything new.
The Android app is absolute junk.
(2.8 star rated)

If you are an Apple user, then go ahead, those users report a great experience.

Be prepared to walk away from it, mine flipped over into a dam during a climb despite no issues with the craft or control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista