DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi there from Bribie Island Queensland Australia

Hi Guys and ladies, I have come upon this site whilst searching out what Mavic i should purchase mini or air 2 ???. I am a new to drones but do race radio controlled IOM International One metre yachts. I look forward to chatting to you guys and look forward to finding out more about the Mavic's.
Cheers
Michael

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your choice depends on what you plan to use your drone for.

The Mini is a great entry to both new pilots but also to those who want a really small, portable aircraft but isn’t the best in windy environments. The Air2 is more capable while still being very portable, handles wind far better and has a more robust radio system for control and video link back to the pilot.

Some people start with the Mini and upgrade later but many also start with the Air2 and stay with that model for its performance, features and price.

Next up in the range are the larger Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom around twice the price of the Air2 but add further features, a larger more stable airframe and larger cameras.

All models are very easy to fly even for a complete novice.

If I were buying my first aircraft now it would certainly be an Air2. I ‘bought’ my Mavic 2Pro entirely out of Qantas Frequent Flyer points so it was a no brainer.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your choice depends on what you plan to use your drone for.

The Mini is a great entry to both new pilots but also to those who want a really small, portable aircraft but isn’t the best in windy environments. The Air2 is more capable while still being very portable, handles wind far better and has a more robust radio system for control and video link back to the pilot.

Some people start with the Mini and upgrade later but many also start with the Air2 and stay with that model for its performance, features and price.

Next up in the range are the larger Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom around twice the price of the Air2 but add further features, a larger more stable airframe and larger cameras.

All models are very easy to fly even for a complete novice.

If I were buying my first aircraft now it would certainly be an Air2. I ‘bought’ my Mavic 2Pro entirely out of Qantas Frequent Flyer points so it was a no brainer.
Thank you for the welcome.

Thanks for the welcome

I am absolutely new here and intend to purchase a Mavic mini or Air 2.
The reasons for my venturing into drone is so i may video radio controlled sailing and fishing 2 of my hobbies. I race the International One Metre design yachts here in Australia. We have fleets of up to 18 IOM's in a race which last about 10 to 12 minutes over the afternoon there is usually 12 races. I would like to capture some of these races using the Air 2 or mini.
sorry to be so long winded into getting around to my questions.
Do you think or has anyone used active tracking to follow small yachts like the IOM i have. The mast height is about 1.5 metres or 5 feet high and length is 1 metre or 3'6" long?
Can anyone advise on the down draft from the propeller, how far up in the air would you have to be not to affect the yachts sailing below? This is important as i would like to get some closeup shots and video of the sailing boats?

Reactions: mrjohnc1
@Myway61 there are many things to consider with what you want to achieve, firstly i think it would be hard for the drone to follow just one particular boat ,second you would have to have an agreement with the competitors and the club to be allowed to fly over the boats ,not sure what RC you are using to control the boats, but it could conflict with the drones link ,especially with the MM
and finally even though it may be feasible ,you would not be able to be in full control of your boat ,or the drone at the same time ,if you wanted to film yourself sailing in a race you would need someone to either fly the drone or sail your boat

@Myway61 there are many things to consider with what you want to achieve, firstly i think it would be hard for the drone to follow just one particular boat ,second you would have to have an agreement with the competitors and the club to be allowed to fly over the boats ,not sure what RC you are using to control the boats, but it could conflict with the drones link ,especially with the MM
and finally even though it may be feasible ,you would not be able to be in full control of your boat ,or the drone at the same time ,if you wanted to film yourself sailing in a race you would need someone to either fly the drone or sail your boat
Thanks for your reply old man mavic.
Regarding things to be considered.
For active tracking i was thinking of using this function when not racing but to capture videos one boat at a time sailing to give to our member.

We use 2.4 Ghz radio receivers for our boats. we have had a few people do some drone videos but the images were poor but no effect to the boat controls.

Our club welcomes advertising and most members can see the benefits of good video. I would not record fly around clubs championships unless approval was given and all entrants approved of the presents of the drone.

Regards
Mick

Hi Myway61 Welcome to Mavic Pilots
I have never used active track but there are plenty of videos where it is used to follow dogs, if it can follow a dog I would assume it could follow a small boat ?
Once you get the hang of flying you may have more fun manually flying the follow yourself.

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here in the forum. We look forward to seeing our part of the world.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

You'll find that DJI drones practically fly themselves. But it will take a lot of practice to do what you intend. Either the Mini MA2 should work well, but the MA2 has a better camera, and flies better in wind. We have over 100,000 members worldwide--including many Aussies-- who will help you grow as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it, share your work when you can!

Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hi Guys and ladies, I have come upon this site whilst searching out what Mavic i should purchase mini or air 2 ???. I am a new to drones but do race radio controlled IOM International One omegle chat metre yachts. I look forward to chatting to you guys and look forward to finding out more about the Mavic's.
Cheers
Michael
You're welcome to this amazing community

Last edited:
Hi Guys and ladies, I have come upon this site whilst searching out what Mavic i should purchase mini or air 2 ???. I am a new to drones but do race radio controlled IOM International One metre yachts. I look forward to chatting to you guys and look forward to finding out more about the Mavic's.
Cheers
Michael
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! If you can afford it get the Mavic Air 2, I absolutely love mine! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000