DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum Hidden Treasure. Excelsior Glen Falls Schuyler County NY

slozukimc

Reactions
Another view of the Excelsior Glen Falls across the road from my house. So pretty with the snow and some color left on the trees. I messed around with editing this one a bit more because I found out I can edit in my photos app on the iphone. I think it looks better than my previous ones. I had no idea what I was doing. Just messing with this and that until I got what looks good to me.

Hope ya like it, Mike

Last edited:
well it WAS a hidden treasure till YOU spouted off! LOL
Hahhaha. It still is a bit hard to find for the average Joe. The Fingerlakes Trail actually runs alongside the creek and crosses just above the big falls. I have talked to people that have hiked the trail and were like, really, a falls that big and we missed it? I tell them they crossed the creek close enough that if they fell it may have been the last time and they are shocked.

Mike

Another view of the Excelsior Glen Falls across the road from my house. So pretty with the snow and some color left on the trees. I messed around with editing this one a bit more because I found out I can edit in my photos app on the iphone. I think it looks better than my previous ones. I had no idea what I was doing. Just messing with this and that until I got what looks good to me.

Hope ya like it, Mike
Much better than before. One useful tip - DO NOT fly into the sun while videoing / taking pics. You can see that nasty glare and that is what happens when doing that.

Come in at an angle or fly out then back towards you - with sun to back of drone. Then ALL those colors will pop like crazy and no glare.

Reactions: slozukimc
Much better than before. One useful tip - DO NOT fly into the sun while videoing / taking pics. You can see that nasty glare and that is what happens when doing that.

Come in at an angle or fly out then back towards you - with sun to back of drone. Then ALL those colors will pop like crazy and no glare.
Thanks! When flying out to where I started recording the sun was very bright so I waited til I got there to start and the glare was still strong. I think timing and technique are what I need to practice. I think everything wrong in all of my videos comes down to not mnowing what I am doing. Lol

Mike

Reactions: tlswift58
Thanks! When flying out to where I started recording the sun was very bright so I waited til I got there to start and the glare was still strong. I think timing and technique are what I need to practice. I think everything wrong in all of my videos comes down to not mnowing what I am doing. Lol

Mike
Not at all. We ALL learn, mostly by trial and error. Sometimes this forum is a great help in avoiding some issues, but taking pics / vids is not really one of those. It's a hands on doing it kind of thing. After many of the same things you have been doing, it finally clicked in this old brain, with some help here as well; to fly out beyond where I want to shoot pics / vids with a bright overhead sun. Then I backtrack with the sun in the background versus foreground and don't get as much nasty glare - depending on what I'm shooting. Any reflective type surface - snow, water, etc WILL still have glare but far less that may be controllable using manual settings or like I fly with a very low ND or PL filter. Many poo poo ND's but they work for me. Maybe not for them; but when in bright sun / no cloud kind of flying - you have to use many things to achieve a good end result and an ND4 that I got with my Air2 FlyMore does just that. I've never even taken the other 2 higher filters out of the case. A PL will certainly help on the glare side if you don't want to use an ND.

Also being higher and using a tad bit of downward camera angle also helps in keeping the sun at bay to a degree. Not a whole lot of angle unless that is what you're wanting but 2-3 dots below level can help a great deal. A small bit of digital zoom can also get in closer if you want to fly higher and not put a ton of grain into the picture / vid.

Keep flying, keep playing with the settings, and it will happen. You'll find a nice sweet spot that works about 75% of the time so stick with it or close. If you want to fly manual camera mode - on take off - pop straight up to 100 or so feet and dial in the manual settings for what looks good in view. Then off you fly and probably will get great shots at those settings. Trying to play with the settings constantly in flight can burn a lot of battery time. Easier in post to add a touch of light or darkness to get that right ambiance.

None of us photographers learned the craft overnight - takes many years / decades to finesse things to a point of maybe not a lot post processing.

Reactions: slozukimc

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman