DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High altitude ops and issues and a better balloon drop cord.

bumper

Reactions
I live at almost 5,000 feet, not normally a problem but it degrades performance when carrying a load. With a load less than 1 pound my M2 goes into landing mode, cancel it and a few seconds later is repeats over and over. I'm pretty sure it's a motor overspeed issue as I saw that warning a couple of times. In regular aircraft with "constant speed" props, a flatter pitch is used for take-off and a coarser pitch is used at altitude in the thinner air, where the courser pitch is much more efficient (think of it as shifting gears in a car - lower pitch is faster out of the hole (take off) while higher pitch is more efficient for cruising and top end, just like high gear or overdrive. Once you get going, higher pitch (or a coarser prop) is much more efficient.

I'm running MAS props on my M2, tried stock DJI props, same problem. I imagine the MAS props are thermoplastic, so it should be doable to make a jig or fixture to mount the prop on, then heat an area adjacent to the pivot(gently with small nozzle on heat gun until the prop goes plastic) then apply pressure to twist blade while it cools. Anyone tried adjusting prop pitch?

Tested with different size/weight water balloons. Next lofted a 13.6 ounce lead ingot (to confirm un ommanded landing mode is not caused by a obstacle or landing sensor (the lead ingot buried itself in the ground in an impressive manner from 300 feet.

Here's my dropping "invention". It solves the problem of dropping the cord too, as the cord stays with the drone.

The metal loop at picture center goes to the release device. The other end of the cord, (not shown) is attached to the "thrower device (I drilled a small hole, passed cord through, then tied a simple overhand knot to secure line). The two brass tubes are the key element, located at the center (bottom) of the suspended line, there are two overhand knots, one at each outboard end, to keep them in position at center of cord (you cannot see where cord passes from one tube to the other at bottom, as I'm marked center on core with black felt tip to aid in getting things centered). The cord simply passes through the two brass tubes and acts like a hinge.

To use, a knot is tied in the payload (balloon stem, etc), and the knot is placed in the "V" formed by the tubes. until launch, the distal end of the tubes are held together like a pliers. Upon launch, the weight of the suspended payload continues to hold the upper ends of the tubes together. The "release" end of the cord has a stainless wire loop swagged or crimped onto the cord - this is for lower friction on the release pin. Upon release, that end of the cord falls free and the associated brass tube falls downward. The drop cord stays with the drone, so is not lost.

(Hint: Brass tube ends must have no burrs, so smooth, first file or sand flat, then gently chuck tube into drill motor and spin end of tube against a piece of fine steel wool, this will de-burr and smooth both inside and outside of tube. Tubes shown are about 2.5" long, length is not critical. Tubing on line or at hobby shop.

20200619_120658.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan