DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hiking w/ DJI Mavic bag & Gimbal

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello,

So I plan to go on a lot of trail running hikes and bring the Mavic; however, I noticed that even with the gimbal clamp in place the gimbal still slightly loose. I'm worried that these subtle shakes will damage the gimbal over time especially if its in my backpack constantly shaking as I'm running on uneven surfaces. Maybe I should buy some form squares/padding and stuff within the bubble case & against the clamp? Thoughts?

Also, to anyone who is using the Mavic bag, it seems like the only way to fit the RC & drone in it is if you put the drone's camera facing the bottom of the bag. Even tho I leave on the bubble case & black rubber on the gimbal, I'm worried the base of the Mavic is not padded enough. Thoughts?

Hello m4v1c,

I have noticed that it's possible to put the gimbal clamp in so it does not actually hold the camera, there's a slot in it the rear of the camera has to fit into, when fitting the clamp I now hold the Mavic vertical, with the camera facing up so the lens 'flops' backwards, (I had to examine it closely to see how it goes together). Regarding it facing down in the bag, I also put it facing down, and have had no issues with anything coming loose when travelling. You may be more energetic that me though....

Remove the props too, I did a short 2 1/2 hour hike and noticed that the props rub against the top of the battery and leave wear marks.

I got the bag in the fly more package and even though it is a well made bag I personal think it sucks and don't use it. Reason being the pockets are to small and the mavic gets stuck also the sticks on the controller get squashed too

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mako79
Reactions: PressMan
Only thing is those clamps would cost $30 to get to the UK. Does anyone have any plans to import a few as a buy-together?

Electrical tape or sticker on the battery to stop the rubbing.

Electrical tape round the dome when using it on hiking trips to stop the dome coming off.

When mine arrives I'll be putting mine in my photography bag along with my camera etc and will be doing as I've described. Think about the fact the Mavics are shipped with the domes on and they're fine. Granted they're in a fitted case but I don't think that'll matter much. Up to you though.

Remove the props too, I did a short 2 1/2 hour hike and noticed that the props rub against the top of the battery and leave wear marks.

I got the bag in the fly more package and even though it is a well made bag I personal think it sucks and don't use it. Reason being the pockets are to small and the mavic gets stuck also the sticks on the controller get squashed too

Use a hair tie to stop the props rubbing.
And the bag with a $149RRP sucksballs. It's like they didn't take in any considerations for the controller and additional batteries.

They ALL pop off. You just have to pull harder. How do you think they assembled them?
I don't like the idea of popping them off and on and i think DJI revised this so people would lose them. The module under the sticks are no longer mechanical (using photometers), they are now magnetic and very sensitive. I'm no DJI tech but i think continue pressure to insert and pull would affect these modules long term. Last thing you want is the Mavic psychotically yawing wildly in the skies or banking sharp right into some trees.

Hello m4v1c,

I have noticed that it's possible to put the gimbal clamp in so it does not actually hold the camera, there's a slot in it the rear of the camera has to fit into, when fitting the clamp I now hold the Mavic vertical, with the camera facing up so the lens 'flops' backwards, (I had to examine it closely to see how it goes together). Regarding it facing down in the bag, I also put it facing down, and have had no issues with anything coming loose when travelling. You may be more energetic that me though....
This... Make sure the clamp is correct slotted in and the gimbal will be rock solid. Have fun hiking!

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

They ALL pop off. You just have to pull harder. How do you think they assembled them?
Several DJI reps over on theDJI forum confirmed that the sticks are not designed to be removed. Some early models were released with removable sticks but wast later changed when they went into full production. I assume if you pull hard enough you might get them to come off but if you damage something doing so, I doubt it will be covered under warranty. You can git stick guards on the internet for just a few dollars or if you have or know someone with a 3D printer , you can make them for a few cents.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
Thanks Heavysledz, good moniker btw.. that'll save a lot of controller demolition by enthusiastic owners. The sticks have mechanical stops, so they are unlikely to be damaged by being offset in the bag, not that mine are, the way I fill the bag.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MavicPilots mobile app

I also had issues with space and concerns about how to load the fly more bag. With member suggestions, this is how mine is now. The controller goes in at an angle to fit better and protect the sticks, which are also protected by the stick lock I got off eBay.

IMG_2458.JPG

I also had issues with space and concerns about how to load the fly more bag. With member suggestions, this is how mine is now. The controller goes in at an angle to fit better and protect the sticks, which are also protected by the stick lock I got off eBay.

View attachment 4237
That's the way I do it too, I don't have leg extensions though..

I did contact the manufacturers of the gimbal locks I posted about. They would do free shipping if we were to buy in 20+

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser