DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hmm...sold my sealed mavic but buyer insists that it's not new (i'm getting scammed?)

Here are some details.

I did try to pull the logs. I installed DJI Assistant and it connected to the mavic pro. However, when I clicked "Flight Logs", it just hung as it tried to get a list of the logs. The mavic fan did go on and it got loud but it never actually gave me a list of files. After about 15 minutes or so, I just disconnected the mavic from my computer. I tried it again but the same problem.

I tried connecting the mavic pro remote to my phone but there was no camera picture. It did connect successfully though.

When I sent the box to the buyer, it was brand new and pristine with the seal intact. When I got the box back, the seal was broken (not a problem since he said that he opened it) but the box was all dirtied up like it had been in an auto oil change shop. I questioned him about it thinking that maybe he didn't send me what I sent him but he said that he is a mechanic that owns a huge repair shop so he did get the box dirty and apologized for it. He was fairly cooperative the entire time but his story that he's sticking with is that he received it, broke the seal, opened it up, and basically found what he sent me (an old looking mavic pro that's all used, scratched up, etc.). He said that he tried to fly it but it kept falling down (maybe a motor issue?).

The receipt from apple did not have the serial number on it.

The box was also missing a few things (it was missing one of the extra props, one of the extra cord adapters, some of the small boxes that stored the usb cable and instructions, etc. He claims that it came that way.

I didn't think the apple store would take it back but I took it to the store and told them that I bought this one but the camera doesn't connect properly to the phone (can't see a picture on my phone when connected to the RC). They looked for the serial number but also noted that it wasn't recorded on the receipt or their records anywhere. They opened the box and visually inspected the mavic pro (took it out) but did not inspect the RC or check for the extra props or inspect the charger.

The employee scanned it, scanned my receipt, and accepted it as a return. She didn't seem to know anything about these drones though as she first asked if I wanted a replacement. I said that I'd like one but they probably don't have any in stock. She checked and sure enough, there were none in stock.

I am happy that they took it back. If I ever get any more from the apple store, I will be sure to open up the box on the spot in the store to verify before taking it home. I will also sell locally only. eBay fees were way too high. I sold this one for $1400 but ebay took $140 and paypal took around $35 and shipping was another $25 so I only cleared around $1200.

The return shipping that this guy used was crazy. He sent it fedex overnight priority (or something crazy like that) and it was $130! He offered to split it with me (I told him that I'd pay for him to return it to me but didn't specify what to use, etc.) so I guess in the end, I'm out $65 but that's fine.

I was definitely curious to see if there were any flight lots from before 12/10 (when I picked it up at the apple store) or after 12/13 (when the package arrived at his location) but because DJI Assistant just hung, I was not able to pull flight logs from the mavic.

When this guy first messaged me, my initial reaction was that this guy was a scammer either trying to get a free mavic (will send me back nothing or a box of rocks) or he got it, crashed it, and now wanted a refund. It's odd because as this played on, I believe him more and more and think this might really have been an Apple issue.

btw, I don't work in IT now but I still work deeply in technology for a big tech company (one of the ones that you all use every day).

I did work in IT back in the day though but I was mostly a software engineer that also did some sysadmin work on the side if the company was too small to have a dedicated IT staff, etc.

Now I'm trying to make IT life easier (hopefully) by building features in cloud computing. Hopefully the days of working with physical hardware (storage, networking, etc.) and even VMs (the OS, kernels, etc.) will be over with the stuff that I'm doing with containers (docker, rkt, kubernetes, etc.).

Anyway, probably more than enough tech speak for the day.

IDK man, I think you are taking it too easy on him... as an outsider looking it, it really appears he screwed it up, used replacement parts in the box and when the camera wasn't working, he just sent it back to you. I know DJI has questionable QA, but come on... no way they would seal a box with a unit in that condition and then send it to Apple for sale. Of course, with the way that Apple returned it without knowing what they were looking at, they could have accepted it as an RMA and just turned around and tried to sell it. Of course, that wouldn't make much sense since the seal wasn't broken... but who really would take the time to open it from the bottom.

Just glad everything worked out for you, well for the most part. Lesson definitely learned with this experience.

I don't think DJI screwed up by putting in an old refurbished broken unit into the box and sent it to Apple. I have seen some videos of people getting their Phantom with a memory card in it and when viewing the card it showed the inside of the factory, etc. but I don't think this happened here.

I think it is typically most likely that the buyer either kept my new one and sent me his old messed up one (I can't verify since I didn't record the serial number before sending my box out to him) or he flew it and wrecked it and is now sending it back. Visually looking at the unit, he only had it for a couple of days and it looks like it's been well worn (flown 10s if not 100s of times). It doesn't look like a 2 day old drone if that makes sense.

I would say that 99% of the time it's shenanigans by the buyer. In this case, that was my immediate reaction was well. But as a seller, there is very little I can do. He can file a return request saying that I sent him garbage and ebay and paypal will refund him. My hands are basically tied here. I could have tried to pull logs and if they showed that he crashed it in the datetime that he had it, I might have a case but even then, I think ebay is generally just going to side with the buyer.

I don't know how easy/hard it would be to open this up while keeping the seal intact or putting in a replacement seal. I don't remember if the seal was special in any way. But I don't know that either because I did not actually open the box myself. I will definitely open the box in the future though. It was not plastic wrapped like iPhones and other apple products.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
Lets see you "trust" the mechanic? I think that's the first time I have ever heard that! LOL.

Mechanics are used to using refurbished parts for repairs and claiming they are new. Using non -OEM parts and claiming they are OEM. Billing for services that are not needed or needed , but not performed.
Its the nature of the business with most smaller auto repair outlets.

Super simple to heat the seal with a heat gun to get it pliable and then slowly peel it back. Open the box and remove contents. Then replace with whatever they want and then reheat the seal and slowly pull it over the edge.

It would be harder to heat the serial number on the Mavic and pull it off without the sticker curling. So I think it the box was opened and he flew it recklessly. Crashed it and then figured he was out the 1400 smackers. He brainstormed and his mechanic ways lead him to claim it was thrashed when he got it.

This is a great reminder to open and photograph anything being sold and make sure to include any serial numbers and/or identifying markings.

You got super lucky with Apple as this could have been much more of an ordeal for you if Apple wanted to play hard ball on the return or refund.

Honestly don't hope this will happen... but it's going to be interesting when Apple returns the "defective" product to DJI and DJI comes back with a counter claim that the drone was flown (pulled from the flight logs).

I also think the buyer is basically getting away with crashing it.. I just hope DJI/Apple don't come back to you later. I doubt they'll bother honestly but who knows

I sold one through Ebay, for a decent price actually, and it was to a low feedback bidder too. It's like......Gulp..

Also I contacted him a couple times asking various random questions to try to get some kind of response, and I got nothing for 24+ hours. I felt uneasy but what was I supposed to do? I claim a 1 day turnaround, I sent it out insured with signature confirmation. Never been so nervous, well, in a little while, handing that thousand dollar bill over to the post man knowing I may be getting screwed because of PP's buyer bias.

In the end the guy did end up responding, and we messaged a few times. He's a total noob, and I haven't heard from him in a week or so. Was trying to help him get in the air, kind of. But I was never happier than when he sent me a message through Ebay saying how it was 'absolutely perfect, obviously unopened', something I don't exactly recall. Because you never know when people are going to get a stick up their butt ESPECIALLY when they paying over retail. You have to be able to prove a case as a seller.

I'm getting one more mavic and the weather around here is terrible. I was going to flip it, but honestly I'm nervous about a possible scam. I might just keep it or sell to someone local.

You have been ripped off. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I've been there not with a Mavic but a phantom 4. It was buyers remorse and eBay takes buyers over sellers any day. I got screwed and the buyer wasted my time and money I never sell thru eBay again for high ticket items..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MavicPilots mobile app

There's so many scams on EBay. Factor in the total fees and you'll find it's not worth the headache. You should put the disclaimer of as is whether it's new or not. He's working to keep the product and get his money back.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I will say that DJI had an issue on their official website that showed the Mavic Pro with one extra set of propellors. On their forums, people were beating them up over it. So if you used a photo from their site, you may have shown an extra set of propellors. It should have come with one set attached, and two sets not attached, leaving you with only one extra set.

If you have to see on eBay just simply put text in the description that the contents has been photographed and cataloged. The drone will be connected to Assistant 2 immediately prior to shipping to have a record that it has never been flown and record a quick video of it all showing the serial number etc. right before you ship it, have something in there that shows the current date/time, newspaper or the TV in the background showing date/time. I know this is completely overkill but once shipped then e-mail the buyer telling them all this. Also state in the description about the logs and that returns will only be accepted if the drone is unmarked and that the logs show it has not been flown. That should cover you.

No it won't chippie.. You've clearly not had much experience selling on eBay.

All a buyer has to do is lodge a complaint, send it back and Paypal WILL refund them, no questions.

The OP here has dodged a bullet through Apple's relaxed returns policy or at least by the stupidity of the sales assistant.

Im glad it worked out for you. Dont worry about the small amount of money you might have lost, look at it as a very inexpensive lesson.

No it won't chippie.. You've clearly not had much experience selling on eBay.

All a buyer has to do is lodge a complaint, send it back and Paypal WILL refund them, no questions.

The OP here has dodged a bullet through Apple's relaxed returns policy or at least by the stupidity of the sales assistant.

I understand that but doing the above will certainly discourage people from trying to scam simply due to the fear of being called out over it. If someone purchases something detailed this way and crashes it, they would surely think twice about trying to scam the seller. Surely you can also dispute it with PP and if you have the proof they will look at it and make a decision. OK, it is a lot of hassle and simply avoided by not using eBay of course.

I don't know mate, PP seem to take a very simplistic attitude to any dispute in that if the buyer has a problem, they support them far more than the seller. If the buyer returns an item then as far as they are concerned it's a done deal, refund follows.

They want to encourage people to buy, there are already plenty of sellers out there.. I called them before selling my Mavics and expressed my concern that they support buyers far more than sellers and the PP rep I spoke to suggested that I list them cash on collection only.. :)

Here are some details.

"However, when I clicked "Flight Logs", it just hung as it tried to get a list of the logs. The mavic fan did go on and it got loud but it never actually gave me a list of files. After about 15 minutes or so, I just disconnected the mavic from my computer. I tried it again but the same problem. "

I experienced the exact same issue last night when trying to pull logs thru the Assistant 2 desktop app?

Is there a known issue?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf