DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hmm...sold my sealed mavic but buyer insists that it's not new (i'm getting scammed?)

rvd98072

Reactions
ugh...i'm pretty sure that i'm getting scammed but wanted to get some thoughts.

i bought a mavic pro online on apple.com for store pickup. i bought from the apple store because i get a slight discount on products sold there.

i picked it up last week and it looked fine. the box looked new, the seal was intact, etc. i bought this back in october and as much as i like the mavic pro, my finances are a little different now than october and i could use some extra cash for the holidays for gifts and such so i sold it on ebay. after fees and such, i didn't make that much (maybe $100) but whatever, it was still worth it...or so i thought.

i never opened the box and sold it as brand new, sealed, etc. i only took a picture of the front outside of the box for the ebay ad.

the buyer got it and immediately emailed me saying that he opened it up and it's obvious that it's been used, the camera doesn't work, it's missing some stuff (one extra prop, a cable), etc. the buyer has a long history on ebay (12 years) and is a good buyer with lots of feedback (over 800, etc.). he doesn't have any negative feedback. the guy more or less seems like he's acting the way that i would if i bought something brand new but received something that isn't new and has issues (pissed but still calm, etc.).

anyway, he sent it back to me and yeah it's obvious that this thing is used as it has some scuff marks and some minor scratches on it, etc. i also tried hooking it up to my phone (android nexus 6p) and as the guy said, there's an issue with the camera as i don't see a picture on my phone when i connect my phone to the remote. i don't have my iphone with me but i can test with that next week.

i initially thought that the guy is just scamming me by keeping my new one and sending in a broken one and maybe that's what he's doing but his history and feedback seems legit. the box and drone serial numbers match. i didn't keep a record and details of what i sent to him though so i can't verify.

i'm pretty sure that the apple store wouldn't sell returned items either so i don't think it's them. but when i was in college, i knew a guy who would scam circuit city and best buy all the time by buying stuff (laptops, printers, etc.) and he would carefully open the package on the bottom (not top), replace the new laptop with an old crappy one, and re-seal the box again on the bottom. he would take it back to the store and tell them that he never opened it and the store would see that the seal on the top of the box is intact and never check the bottom of the box and he'd get away with it. the store would then just put it back on the shelf and sell it again. my father in law was once scammed this way because he bought a printer and when he opened the box, it was a crappy old printer in there. i am 100% sure my father in law was not pulling a scam and as you can imagine, it was really tough getting the store to believe him.

anyway, there isn't really much i can do other than refund the guy. i suppose i can try to take this back to the apple store for a refund but i doubt they'll believe me. has this ever happened to anyone?

Reactions: shuddee
i initially thought that the guy is just scamming me by keeping my new one and sending in a broken one
Or he just crashed yours on his first flight and wants to play the "it wasn't me" card.

I would just read all the DAT logs from the Mavic, it will show when it was powered up and/or flown and where.

I sell alot on eBay and on the forums and I also sell alot locally. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of people like that in this world, dont blink an eye at destroying your merchandise and then lying and accusing you for it, and filing a claim with Paypal. The problem with Paypal, who you might have used to process your transaction, is that they immediately side with the buyer in "Not as described" transactions, and then they debit your account and hold the funds. With Paypal, as a seller, you are guilty until proven innocent. They wield alot of power and are judge, jury, and executioner. They have gotten alot better over the years, but with them, you will need to build a rock-solid case against your buyer, so get the logs, and as much info as you can to prove the buyer trashed it, and then just keep submitting it to Paypal. Again, Paypal sometimes just arbitrarily decides in favor of the buyer, so be wary that no matter how much evidence you provide to them, you might still lose. Call them, email them, post messages to your case. I have fought and won most of my cases with them, and you should stand up for yourself and dont let this happen. Dont show them any sign of weakness, or you will lose. All that being said, I have had tens of thousands of successful transactions on eBay, my website, the forums and locally, and again, these people are only a handful. I wish you werent fighting for so much money, I know that only makes it more difficult.

My advice would be that the next time you sell something like this, take pictures so at least you can call the scammer a bold faced liar if he tries something like this. You didnt even open the box, so who knows what was really inside, but you and I both know that it probably was a new bird. People dont mind if you "open the box only for pictures" so they feel more comfy seing that youre not going to send them a box of rocks. One time I bought a Phantom off eBay for $700 and the seller sent me a broken picture frame in a tiny box. They knew it was a scam, but it still took me almost a month to get my money back, fighting with Paypal and eBay and the lying thieving seller every day.

Once again, stand up for yourself, and fight the fight. If you feel like going to the Apple store and explaining what happened, you might get lucky and find a sympathetic ear. If that fails, you might even try sending it back to DJI and getting an estimate of repairs which could take a few weeks. If not, you have a few other options such as selling it on eBay or locally in "used, as-is" condition. You might lose a few hundred on it, but it will be a lesson learned.

Sorry this happened to you.

ugh...i'm pretty sure that i'm getting scammed but wanted to get some thoughts.

i bought a mavic pro online on apple.com for store pickup. i bought from the apple store because i get a slight discount on products sold there.

i picked it up last week and it looked fine. the box looked new, the seal was intact, etc. i bought this back in october and as much as i like the mavic pro, my finances are a little different now than october and i could use some extra cash for the holidays for gifts and such so i sold it on ebay. after fees and such, i didn't make that much (maybe $100) but whatever, it was still worth it...or so i thought.

i never opened the box and sold it as brand new, sealed, etc. i only took a picture of the front outside of the box for the ebay ad.

the buyer got it and immediately emailed me saying that he opened it up and it's obvious that it's been used, the camera doesn't work, it's missing some stuff (one extra prop, a cable), etc. the buyer has a long history on ebay (12 years) and is a good buyer with lots of feedback (over 800, etc.). he doesn't have any negative feedback. the guy more or less seems like he's acting the way that i would if i bought something brand new but received something that isn't new and has issues (pissed but still calm, etc.).

anyway, he sent it back to me and yeah it's obvious that this thing is used as it has some scuff marks and some minor scratches on it, etc. i also tried hooking it up to my phone (android nexus 6p) and as the guy said, there's an issue with the camera as i don't see a picture on my phone when i connect my phone to the remote. i don't have my iphone with me but i can test with that next week.

i initially thought that the guy is just scamming me by keeping my new one and sending in a broken one and maybe that's what he's doing but his history and feedback seems legit. the box and drone serial numbers match. i didn't keep a record and details of what i sent to him though so i can't verify.

i'm pretty sure that the apple store wouldn't sell returned items either so i don't think it's them. but when i was in college, i knew a guy who would scam circuit city and best buy all the time by buying stuff (laptops, printers, etc.) and he would carefully open the package on the bottom (not top), replace the new laptop with an old crappy one, and re-seal the box again on the bottom. he would take it back to the store and tell them that he never opened it and the store would see that the seal on the top of the box is intact and never check the bottom of the box and he'd get away with it. the store would then just put it back on the shelf and sell it again. my father in law was once scammed this way because he bought a printer and when he opened the box, it was a crappy old printer in there. i am 100% sure my father in law was not pulling a scam and as you can imagine, it was really tough getting the store to believe him.

anyway, there isn't really much i can do other than refund the guy. i suppose i can try to take this back to the apple store for a refund but i doubt they'll believe me. has this ever happened to anyone?
Check that the Serial Numbers on the AC are the same as those on the box.

I've seen a comment on here that the serial number of the drone is printed somewhere on the box. Did you take photos of the box that you originally sent? Is the serial number visible? Does that match the number on the box (and aircraft) that they sent back?

I find it far more likely that the buyer is being dishonest than Apple having sold you a damaged drone. If the DAT log does reveal a flight after the date you shipped it, then you'll hopefully be able to present a reasonable case to Paypal or eBay. I'm just hoping you've kept the receipt for the shipping method you used.

Reactions: chazzm
Sounds like a scam to me. If you cannot access the DAT then contact DJI and they may be able to tell you when the drone was activated/flown but my first guess is that he crashed it and is scamming you. Get the proof, contact eBay and don't refund him.

He already said both that the craft/box he received matched and that he had no record of what he originally sent. Do people actually read?
I read perfectly well, thankyou. He said that the box and drone numbers match, not that they match the one he sent out. If he sold it on ebay, the photos from the listing may still be present on that listing.

Reactions: imnotmarvin
.. and don't refund him.

He won't have a choice if the buyer paid by Paypal.. This is EXACTLY why I never sell anything of any value or complex items on eBay, they are totally biased towards the buyer.

I have sold 5 Mavics now (flame away) and all have been bought by pretty grateful guys either by cash on collection or bank transfer then collected or bank transfer while at my house. There are just too many chancers out there to risk Paypal. I've seen several fetch over £2,000 on eBay recently but who knows the world of grief that the sellers are letting themselves in for. My expectations far lower and I have had no issues whatsoever.

Yeah that is a bummer! However if there is proof surely it can be contested even if it then takes a few weeks to sort out, if it goes in favor of the buyer it still makes it an inconvenience for them in not getting the money back quickly. I have no time for dishonest people tbh and it makes me cringe that people do things like this. Such a shame the OP did not open it and take detailed photos of everything (something I would do) but easy to say in hindsight of course.

I read perfectly well, thankyou. He said that the box and drone numbers match, not that they match the one he sent out. If he sold it on ebay, the photos from the listing may still be present on that listing.
My post referring to the Serial Numbers on the AC & the box should have included the words "original". Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Yeah that is a bummer! However if there is proof surely it can be contested even if it then takes a few weeks to sort out, if it goes in favor of the buyer it still makes it an inconvenience for them in not getting the money back quickly. I have no time for dishonest people tbh and it makes me cringe that people do things like this. Such a shame the OP did not open it and take detailed photos of everything (something I would do) but easy to say in hindsight of course.

It wouldn't have mattered believe me, it would have been the same outcome.

Paypal will refund the buyer and the OP now has a used Mavic that won't fetch what a new one would.. Cash on collection is a pain, reduces your market but is the only way to sell things like this, imo.

First off check logs.

Then if logs show flights happened before you collected drone, see Apple.

If they happened after you sent to buyer let him know, tell him if he pursues any further it is fraud, and enjoy your fight with Paypal.

A bit dishonest, but if you find the logs are wiped, I would call his bluff and say that you recovered "evidence of flight and crash" from them. Insinuate that you will consider the fraud route if he pursues you. If he pushes, apologise and refund him. If he backs down, balance of probability is that he was at it.

Reactions: Kilrah
A bit dishonest, but if you find the logs are wiped, I would call his bluff and say that you recovered "evidence of flight and crash" from them.
The logs cannot be wiped.

It wouldn't have mattered believe me, it would have been the same outcome.

Paypal will refund the buyer and the OP now has a used Mavic that won't fetch what a new one would.. Cash on collection is a pain, reduces your market but is the only way to sell things like this, imo.

You can profit more selling in person without having to pay for fees for eBay/PayPal. I took a PayPal in person, but I made sure the buyer knows to send it "gifted".

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: djorgen
The logs cannot be wiped.
I work in IT and can assure you that as they will be stored on an eprom there will be a method to wipe them via a reflash. This may be difficult and require hardware/software that only DJI developers have, but it is not impossible. Depends on who the buyer is ;-) It's probably good news for the OP as the likelihood is that the person allegedly scamming will not have been able to do this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky