DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyists: how have the new regulations affected your flights?

Hobbyists: how have the new May 2019 FAA regulations affected your flights?

• No affect at all

Votes: 48 67.6%
  • What new regulations?

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I've been grounded

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Drone for sale

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2) Wait until LAANC is made available to hobbyist operations that "should" happen within 180 days
TI wonder how long "180 days" is in FAA time. Have they ever met a deadline that impacted them?

TI wonder how long "180 days" is in FAA time. Have they ever met a deadline that impacted them?

Part 107 hit the August 2016 deadline but you never know for sure.

Part 107 hit the August 2016 deadline but you never know for sure.
But did what they set into play at that time affect them or just flier? For example, the FAA is quick to make rules that affect hobby flight (need to use LAANC) but when it comes to them setting up LAANC... well, that is on a whole other timeline. Truth is, they could have waited to change the rules (for us) until they allowed us to follow (their) rules.

But did what they set into play at that time affect them or just flier? For example, the FAA is quick to make rules that affect hobby flight (need to use LAANC) but when it comes to them setting up LAANC... well, that is on a whole other timeline. Truth is, they could have waited to change the rules (for us) until they allowed us to follow (their) rules.

The foundation for the rules went into effect ASAP per Congress. Commercial went through the same hoops and we had to wait over 2 years for LAANC so it’s ok if you have to wait a few months.

Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
The foundation for the rules went into effect ASAP per Congress. Commercial went through the same hoops and we had to wait over 2 years for LAANC so it’s ok if you have to wait a few months.

you had to wait 2 years where you couldn't fly anywhere at all except class G? :D

you had to wait 2 years where you couldn't fly anywhere at all except class G? :D

No we had to wait over 2 years for LAANC to become an option. Before LAANC we had to create a manual submission (per flying session/location) and it could take up to 180 days to know if we were approved or denied.

Reactions: Thomas B
you could reply

No affect at all

What new regulations?

I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

I'd rather not say

I've been grounded.

Drone for sale

etc...

As a hobby flyer, I have been grounded from flying at home. But as a Part 107 holder, I can get authorization immediately and am still able to fly. LAANC is a great tool and once online for the recreational flyer, things will get much easier

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
There was a "grace" period. The law was created many months ago... we did not need to comply until a week or so ago. Also, the law requires a test before we can fly. They FAA has waived this requirement right now. I see no reason why they could not have done this for the LAANC as well.

Drone for sale.

I’m a new pilot and also live by a military base and an airport. Prior to the new regulations, flying was restrictive enough (for someone trying to follow the rules). Now, it’s not enjoyable enough for the hassle. Sadly, I just bought my drone last month and plan to post it for sale as soon as the forum allows it.

Drone for sale.

I’m a new pilot and also live by a military base and an airport. Prior to the new regulations, flying was restrictive enough (for someone trying to follow the rules). Now, it’s not enjoyable enough for the hassle. Sadly, I just bought my drone last month and plan to post it for sale as soon as the forum allows it.
May be you should re-consider, and wait on the sale.
Even if you could fly from out of your back yard you could become bored with the same location over and over again.

I have to travel at least a half hour to get to locations I haven't flown a dozen times before.

I used to curse having to travel to the boondocks to fly. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. No people, no hassles, I can take my time, and do what I want.

If you choose to do this, bring extra batteries to make it worth your while.

Also, have you tried DJI Goggles? The goggles are an amazing experience. Out in the boondocks, you'll have no reservation using the goggles.

I must be very lucky. The new regulations actually are way LESS restrictive for me than before. I have several small airports nearby (a bit more than 5 miles) that I needed to call if I planned to fly near them, now I don’t. They are Class E- 700 so have no effect on me if I follow all the other requirements.

we don't even have speeding tickets anymore because there is no money to pay for that work. In the last ten years, I have seen exactly one person pulled over for speeding.
I have a friend who drives a cab in Dallas TX, says he has gotten hundreds of speeding tickets over the years with zero convictions. All you have to do is request a hearing, the officer never shows up so the case is dismissed.

Even if you could fly from out of your back yard you could become bored with the same location over and over again.

I have to travel at least a half hour to get to locations I haven't flown a dozen times before.

I used to curse having to travel to the boondocks to fly. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. No people, no hassles, I can take my time, and do what I want.

Also, have you tried DJI Goggles? The goggles are an amazing experience. Out in the boondocks, you'll have no reservation using the goggles.

I haven’t tried the goggles but as a Border Patrol Agent, there isn’t much of anything in the desert I haven’t seen. I bought the drone so I could capture unique photos and video of my kids and home life. Not being able to fly the drone easily in the areas I intended make it an expensive bad investment for me. I even considered using to add to a memory book of my career but my agency made policy against drone use on duty. I think selling it and recouping some money is better than having the aircraft sitting in a case in a closet not being utilized. But I appreciate the suggestions, wish I lived in the boonies!

Reactions: BigAl07

that would be me. willing to travel 20 - 30 minutes for peace and quiet and peace of mind. google are ordered and on the way. since i'm still learning, i don't want to wait to get better at flying but i understand if you've been flying forever, you don't want to travel far. next year is ok for me to fly at home but beyond that, not sure i care much for the scenery over there....much better here where i live and recognize things in my video. nice to have video of home, not somewhere foreign.

also 30 minutes for me means crossing state lines and for whatever reason, the next state over is more lenient than my own state and it would be easier to take a trespass warning over there if i have to.

Reactions: strdr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok