DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyists: how have the new regulations affected your flights?

Hobbyists: how have the new May 2019 FAA regulations affected your flights?

• No affect at all

Votes: 48 67.6%
  • What new regulations?

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I've been grounded

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Drone for sale

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course you have the right. Everyone alive has the God given right to enjoy ALL of the Earth. This is the basis of where unalienable rights come from. Say for example I invented the first drone. I enjoy flying it all the time. Now, someone comes along and says you can't do that. By what authority. Well, the authority of (insert countries name and government here) gives me that power. Power, now we're talking about power. In this situation the power is to use violence if someone doesn't conform to another's "law".
I have the right do to whatever I please down here on the temporal plane. If the government takes issue and kidnaps me through the use of violence, it doesn't make my right disappear.
This is all philosophical argument.
I don't believe in harming any other living thing, or for that matter, energy system. Therefore, I agree to follow the rules. If the rules are unrealistic or unenforceable they will do nothing to curb reckless flying.

Ah - the old "I have the inalienable right to do anything I please as long as I decide it's okay" argument. Regulated airspace existed before your hypothetical drone. The invention of drones did not deregulate the NAS. If you believe that god, or whoever, gave you the right to ignore NAS regulation then go for it.

while I understand the need for safety and I’m all for making everyone get a license and not fly in restricted space near large airports.. the political reaction is extreme.

LET US FLY IN EMPTY PARKS FROM 5:00am to 7:00am and other hours when are few people there. In NJ they politicians took all the good spots away making no exceptions and now the FEDS are ruining things more.. people will just continue breaking the law ... and no way to enforce.. they never think about that.

Reactions: strdr
while I understand the need for safety and I’m all for making everyone get a license and not fly in restricted space near large airports.. the political reaction is extreme.

LET US FLY IN EMPTY PARKS FROM 5:00am to 7:00am and other hours when are few people there. In NJ they politicians took all the good spots away making no exceptions and now the FEDS are ruining things more.. people will just continue breaking the law ... and no way to enforce.. they never think about that.

They clearly do think about the enforcement issue - the FAA has discussed it on a number of occasions and produced guidelines for LEO. With the increased popularity of consumer drones you don't have to look any further than these forums, or YouTube, to see that many people are flying unsafely. A lot of that is clearly simple ignorance of both the law and aviation safety, so the unified airspace requirements and proposed knowledge test are an obvious way to curb a lot of the issues, whether or not there are the resources for widespread enforcement. Those who deliberately fly recklessly, hopefully a small minority, may continue to do so until the technology to detect and ground drones becomes more effective and widely deployed.

They clearly do think about the enforcement issue - the FAA has discussed it on a number of occasions and produced guidelines for LEO. With the increased popularity of consumer drones you don't have to look any further than these forums, or YouTube, to see that many people are flying unsafely. A lot of that is clearly simple ignorance of both the law and aviation safety, so the unified airspace requirements and proposed knowledge test are an obvious way to curb a lot of the issues, whether or not there are the resources for widespread enforcement. Those who deliberately fly recklessly, hopefully a small minority, may continue to do so until the technology to detect and ground drones becomes more effective and widely deployed.
wow. :(

Ah - the old "I have the inalienable right to do anything I please as long as I decide it's okay" argument. Regulated airspace existed before your hypothetical drone. The invention of drones did not deregulate the NAS. If you believe that god, or whoever, gave you the right to ignore NAS regulation then go for it.
Wow. Never mind. lmao

you could reply

No affect at all

What new regulations?

I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

I'd rather not say

I've been grounded.

Drone for sale

etc...
This poll will not give right result as FAA is in USA but many out of USA will vote.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Why would you vote if the regulations are not applicable?
It has not had any affect yet here but as we have seen in the past the norm is that it will also been used more or less in other places.

These days (in the US) you have to get a fire permit from the feds if you want to have a campfire on most backcountry FS land. It now involves an on line test or if you go to the ranger station they make you read the rules in front of them. I don't have a right to start a fire on forest service land, rather it's a privilege to do so provided I have the permit. Of course you have a right to break any law, just be prepared to pay the consequences. All I hope is the FAA adopts a similar concept for their tests...basic enough that a kid can pass it. I also hope it's free like the campfire permit. Really IMO you just want the hobbyists to know the basic right and wrongs of working in FAA airspace. Folks who intend to break the law usually could care less about permits or licensing. I'd like to see the FAA side with the hobbyist over commercial ventures in protecting our privilege to share the airspace as has been done for decades.

These days (in the US) you have to get a fire permit from the feds if you want to have a campfire on most backcountry FS land. It now involves an on line test or if you go to the ranger station they make you read the rules in front of them. I don't have a right to start a fire on forest service land, rather it's a privilege to do so provided I have the permit. Of course you have a right to break any law, just be prepared to pay the consequences. All I hope is the FAA adopts a similar concept for their tests...basic enough that a kid can pass it. I also hope it's free like the campfire permit. Really IMO you just want the hobbyists to know the basic right and wrongs of working in FAA airspace. Folks who intend to break the law usually could care less about permits or licensing. I'd like to see the FAA side with the hobbyist over commercial ventures in protecting our privilege to share the airspace as has been done for decades.

To be fair, the FAA is only implementing what was required of them by Congress. Once LAANC becomes available for recreational flight, (and the conditions for recreational authorization have already been published), and if the knowledge test is reasonable, then I think one could argue that the FAA is doing its best to support hobbyists.

To be fair, the FAA is only implementing what was required of them by Congress. Once LAANC becomes available for recreational flight, (and the conditions for recreational authorization have already been published), and if the knowledge test is reasonable, then I think one could argue that the FAA is doing its best to support hobbyists.
Yes I agree on that. Rather than speculate what is going to happen, I'll sit back to see how over reactive they get with testing and just hope it's not too complicated and/or costly. I'm one who hates tests especially if I have to pay for it. I did like what you posted in regards to what they plan to implement. Other than the test section, I've been flying AMA rules the whole time and at least for hobbyists it doesn't look like a huge change. I just am not sure how flying RC aircraft from one of our club sites will be affected as it's at an active (tower-less) airport...small but active.

Reactions: sar104

You have a good point here. If everyone flew in a reasonable manner, stayed away from airports, didn’t snoop in the folks next door, didn’t fly 10,000’ up to see what would happen, we would be having this conversation.
But now I and others have to get myself a licence, no biggie, I can get an advanced licence and l can fly with peace of mind in areas that I couldn’t before. Sometimes you got roll with the punches.

Reactions: sar104
Online. When the FAA feels like making it available.
Correct me if I this is wrong, but I understood that 107 recertifications were to be online... is that also true for initial 107 certification (which would be great)?

Neither initial nor recurrent Part 107 tests are online.
OK,
I somehow got the idea that under the newest regs, not yet implemented, that revert exams for 107 were going to be electronic. Gues I’ll go read the legislation/pending rules again.

OK,
I somehow got the idea that under the newest regs, not yet implemented, that revert exams for 107 were going to be electronic. Gues I’ll go read the legislation/pending rules again.

There have been no changes affecting Part 107 other than (presumably) the reference in 107.1 (a) (2) to part 101.

Reactions: Thomas B
also its my understanding that now theres noway for rec pilots to get clearance to fly near airports. Before we could call ACT and give notification now we just cant fly till LLANC is setup for hobbyist is that the way it reads??

also its my understanding that now theres noway for rec pilots to get clearance to fly near airports. Before we could call ACT and give notification now we just cant fly till LLANC is setup for hobbyist is that the way it reads??

If you're looking to fly as a hobbyist in controlled airspace you have 2 options:

1) Fly at an approved flying site
2) Wait until LAANC is made available to hobbyist operations that "should" happen within 180 days

For the record, when Part 107 went LIVE we had to start getting authorizations in Controlled Airspace (before LAANC which is very recent) and some of these took over 180 days to get. So at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it doesn't appear to be a train LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153