DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Inspector buying Pro 2 or Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austindyer00

Reactions
Hello there everyone, I am a home/building inspector and am buying a drone for work (and a little bit of fun). Mostly I will being using this drone for roofs that I can not get on. Zoom has the zoom feature which would be nice for finding little details but I’ve read the pro 2 has a better picture because of the camera which is also very important. Just wondering what your thoughts are on which I should get?

I think both will be more than you need for roof inspections, so either is fine. For fun, most people like the Pro 2 because of the better camera. But the Zoom is nice if for some reason, you want to take a shot of something in the distance and can not fly closer. For example, wildlife that might be spooked by drone noise might warrant a Zoom over a Pro 2. Good luck with your drone!

Reactions: Beachboy
Zoom will allow getting a close LOOK at a stand off distance. For your use, the Zoom's 12 megapixel vs the PRO's 20 megapixel camera should be more than enough for Home Inspections

If it were me, I go with a Zoom for more flexibility of getting close ups at less risk of flying into what it is that is being observed because you had to get the drone so close for the picture.

Not sure how they can be intrusive. M2’s are pretty quiet. Can’t answer for a spark or tello. Don’t have those.

Zoom will allow getting a close LOOK at a stand off distance. For your use, the Zoom's 12 megapixel vs the PRO's 20 megapixel camera should be more than enough for Home Inspections

If it were me, I go with a Zoom for more flexibility of getting close ups at less risk of flying into what it is that is being observed because you had to get the drone so close for the picture.

The advantage of the zoom is actually rather marginal. If you crop the M2P 20 Mpx images to 12 Mpx then the difference in magnification is only a factor of 1.4, with a smaller sensor.

Reactions: Gizmo6257
Take it from someone that owns both and works I. The Emergency Management profession. For you’re intended purpose, if you purchase an M2P, I guarantee ya within 3 months, you’ll be going back for the zoom. Cropping the 20 mega pixel M2P might work in some occasions, but when you’re using it in a professional setting and every minute costs dollars, having a live zoom is way more beneficial than having to take the time to upload to a PC, download the image, crop in a program and save and file.

Take it from someone that owns both and works I. The Emergency Management profession. For you’re intended purpose, if you purchase an M2P, I guarantee ya within 3 months, you’ll be going back for the zoom. Cropping the 20 mega pixel M2P might work in some occasions, but when you’re using it in a professional setting and every minute costs dollars, having a live zoom is way more beneficial than having to take the time to upload to a PC, download the image, crop in a program and save and file.

That's a good point, especially if you need a closer view in real time.

I assume that you have permission to fly over the roofs, which you want to inspect. Do you want an overall view of the roof or to you have to zoom in on specific smaller areas? I have the PRO 2, which makes fabulous photos. 20 MP photos can be enlarged to quite an extend for closer looks. I have made thousands of photos so far and am very satisfied, considering that I have a Nikon D850 with outstanding qualitiy.

Reactions: Amped Air
Plus you can use the HQ Mode instead of FOV and get much better photos.
The advantage of the zoom is actually rather marginal. If you crop the M2P 20 Mpx images to 12 Mpx then the difference in magnification is only a factor of 1.4, with a smaller sensor.

How long does it take to crop a better imagine? Get the M2P. You will be set. Photos don't take anytime to crop or zoom in viedo editor. Now viedo can take time, but a 1 inch sensor is no comparison. I was in the same situation that you're in just a month ago but after doing my research as far as which drone to buy for roof inspections, I decided to buy the mavic 2 Pro. And I can tell you this I am sure glad I did don't even hesitate you will be super happy with the mavic 2 Pro. It will do anything you need to do that's my opinion.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Zoom does have a mode to take several photos and stitch them together to a higher res photo. It takes advantage of the 2x optical zoom.

I used my M2Z once to figure out what was on my roof. I thought it was a small branch from a tree, but it was there for a few weeks. It should have been blown down by then.
Turned out to be a squirrel that a bird must have had for lunch.

One disadvantage of the DJI products compared to the Parrot Anafi is that the Anafi can tilt the camera straight up to take photos directly under objects. Granted the Anafi isn't in the same class as the Mavic 2 or even 1P.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have a P4PV2 and used it for inspections in Colorado. At one point a good gust of wind sucked me up into the roof and it came tumbling down. The only option i found to replace it quickly was a M2Z. I wish i had it to begin with. For inspections it is great! Being able to fly and record from 40 feet away rather than 10 brings the pucker factor down a ton!! My client (a forensic engineering firm) is absolutely thrilled by the pics/videos i had supplied. Being in the metro area it has saved them and their clients literally thousands of dollars since they don't need to drive back and forth. I have had several calls from him saying how clear everything is and he is going to add that to their budget for every job now. Long story short, GET THE ZOOM FOR BUILDING INSPECTIONS!!!
Now with that said, if you are after a point cloud i know pix4D capture does not support the M2Z due to the zoom function. Im not sure if drone deploy or others do support it.

I used the Inspire 1, had to crop photos, taking lots of additional time, now use the Mavic Zoom for roof inspections and directly into Xactimate after running a resizing. Photo show ever detail needed for wind, hail, and deterioration for roofs for insurance inspections.

You don't need zoom. Go with the better camera.

Zooming destroys perspective; that will flatten what you see. Flying the drone up close will give you a better, clearer image (or photo or video).

Zoom is for when you can't get close (or for a specific cinematic effect). Any reason you won't be able to just fly right up to the roof?

If you can get close, get the Pro.

Reactions: bliksem
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada