DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home point is being Reset on Remote Landings or Dropped Connections.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
While Capturing the Rescue Jacket remote landing on the Lake in the Rain in 25 mph winds the Air 2 reset the Home Point which caused the drone to fly back over the Lake to land.

You can see where I get out of the Car to film how strong the wind and the rain was after a low battery warning where the Drone spins and start to take off over the lake,
I dive in my car and try repeatedly to cancel the Return to home point. It was kind of funny as the Rescue Jacket was going to save me. :cool:

Here is the video: Watch for the spin of the drone and the home point recorded.

Awareness is half the battle. Be Careful.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Coal i'm not sure why you started this off as an Alert. From what i read and watching this video and listening to you have completely lost me.
But thats ok as i will just watch the rest of this from here out. :D

Reactions: boblui
Coal i'm not sure why you started this off as an Alert. From what i read and watching this video and listening to you have completely lost me.
But thats ok as i will just watch the rest of this from here out. :D

Sorry : The air 2 changed its Home point on the Remote Landing , My Remote landing was on the Lake : Since I did not shut off the drone the Home Point should have not changed.

When the battery got low and I attempted to land in front of the Car , it spun around on me and took off back over the lake to where the new Home Point had Registered.
This means if you were to get a dis connect while flying in the Air a new home point would be created , and that can get you in trouble.

I have been working on finding the solution.
Some good posts below thanks to ZEUS>

Last edited:
Not sure if I understood your flight session, but HP is set to the takeoff point every time you take off. It isn't just powering on the AC that sets the HP.

So, if you take off near you at one end of a ball field, fly to the other end of the field and land, then take off again from the other end of the field, HP is now recorded to be at the other end of the field.

If you need to manually change the HP because of landing and taking off elsewhere, the map lets you move the HP.
You can also set the HP to the location of the remote as determined by the device GPS, but lately that has been problematic.

A disconnect shouldn't reset the HP, though lately with my M2 I have heard the lady repeat the HP set message when I encountered my app crash and recover. As the lady suggests, always good to "check it on the map".

Not sure if I understood your flight session, but HP is set to the takeoff point every time you take off. It isn't just powering on the AC that sets the HP.

So, if you take off near you at one end of a ball field, fly to the other end of the field and land, then take off again from the other end of the field, HP is now recorded to be at the other end of the field.

If you need to manually change the HP because of landing and taking off elsewhere, the map lets you move the HP.
You can also set the HP to the location of the remote as determined by the device GPS, but lately that has been problematic.

Keep in mind that the battery is not being shut off on a Remote Landing. for me something is off .

This behavior is new and started when I installed the New Update on the Air 2 . None of my other drones record the Home Point on a Remote Landing. They will sit on the lake running until the battery is low and fly back to the Original Home Point. Thats the way Remote Landing have always worked for me on all my other drones.

I have Scaled back the Alert :
As both you and Dirk seem to agree that this is Normal Activity but I remote land a lot more than anyone else and it never happened before.

I know that what happened caught me by surprise , so that is why the Alert ..

Last edited:
They will sit on the lake until the battery is low and fly back home to the Home Point.

If the drone would perform RTH, it means it has not yet landed from the FC's perspective but just hovering there. The home point would not be updated under that circumstance

Last edited:
Here is the Thread that kind of saved me as I remembered what he said. So when I saw the drone take back off over the lake I knew immediately what was happening was that the drone was returning to the new Home Point recorded on the Lake .

What is so funny about this is that he has asked about getting a Wet Suit , and I think he just saved me from at least having to Fetch My drone .
Guess you earned a Wet Suit SEVEN because without me being aware I would have landed back on the lake. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: svenmarbles
The only fix at the current time is to be aware that its can happen and to switch your Home Point to the return to Controller or you can drag the Home Point on the Map to your original location something I just recently learned from @zeusfl

The only fix at the current time is to be aware that its can happen and to switch your Home Point to the return to Controller or you can drag the Home Point on the Map to your original location something I just recently learned from @zeusfl
Please elaborate on how the dragging of the Home Point on the Map works. Sounds useful to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Keep in mind that the battery is not being shut off on a Remote Landing. for me something is off .

This behavior is new and started when I installed the New Update on the Air 2 . None of my other drones record the Home Point on a Remote Landing. They will sit on the lake running until the battery is low and fly back to the Original Home Point. Thats the way Remote Landing have always worked for me on all my other drones.

I have Scaled back the Alert :
As both you and Dirk seem to agree that this is Normal Activity but I remote land a lot more than anyone else and it never happened before.

I know that what happened caught me by surprise , so that is why the Alert ..
I have just updated to fly app v1.1.9 and since not flown yet.

I tested remote landing with the old v1.1.6 installed on sc recently and it behaved like what you said.

Test 1 : aircraft power up at HP 'A' took off and flew 1000' out, came back and performed remote landing at point "B' about 100' from HP A, motor shutdown, battery remained powered. Motors restarted, took off and there is no aural advisory HP updated being heard. Flew out and engaged RTH, aircraft landed at original HP 'A'.

Test 2 :. As above, but this time remote landed at point B with aircraft complete power down. Repower up and HP updated is heard, flew out and upon RTH aircraft returned to point B.

Sound like new firmware anomaly.

Please elaborate on how the dragging of the Home Point on the Map works. Sounds useful to everyone!

When you go to "Update the home point" you can select controller, drone, or you can drag the map and set the home point at any location on the map. An older thread about this actually just got bumped up today and should be easy to find as well.

When you go to "Update the home point" you can select controller, drone, or you can drag the map and set the home point at any location on the map. An older thread about this actually just got bumped up today and should be easy to find as well.

Just of note, to update to controller the device your using MUST have a GPS Rcv'r in it, not all do...especially Apple products (WiFi only) and some of the cheaper Chinese Android tablets seem to suffer as well. But if your device isn't capable it won't show in App anyway as a choice ;)

Personally I never knew of the slide the Pin HP in App, I have never heard of it before in 4 years of DJI...so even old dogs can learn new tricks. :)

Just of note, to update to controller the device your using MUST have a GPS Rcv'r in it, not all do...especially Apple products (WiFi only) and some of the cheaper Chinese Android tablets seem to suffer as well. But if your device isn't capable it won't show in App anyway as a choice ;)

Personally I never knew of the slide the Pin HP in App, I have never heard of it before in 4 years of DJI...so even old dogs can learn new tricks. :)

I think the dragging of the map is a Fly app only thing, so pretty recent and limited to Mini and Air 2 for now. That said, this stuff just goes to show how lacking some of the DJI documentation is, particularly around the app -- as good, useful features are never mentioned anywhere and you have to find out on your own.

Check this video that I created to explain how to change your home point.

• Love
This is a fantastic video, thanks for taking the time to put it out there . Its a golden nugget than many people might not know about . Im going to share it in another post where it might help some more people. .

Remote landing on the Water and on land is new to most people so this brings more awareness to how it works.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and float on Water.

Thank you ZEUS :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
All DJI quads reset the HP whenever you restart the props and take off. Powering off the AC battery has nothing to do with it.

So, if you take off at point A, land at point B and then take off at point B, HP will automatically be set to point B.
With Phantoms (or at least with P3) it is possible to land without shutting off props.

With Mavics, when you go lower than 2 ft from ground, it goes to landing mode which includes shutting off props. You can't touch and go a Mavic.

I myself landed my M2Z across a field to reset altitude as it drifted off. When RTH was engaged, having forgotten I last took off from across the field, it headed there rather than to me. I of course immediately cancelled and flew it back manually.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143