DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hood Shade

I'm wanting to order a hood shade for my MA2 setup using a Ipad mini 5 but I'm not sure what size to get. All the ones that I am looking at are listed as L + 3 numbers. I think that I need a size L168 but I"m not positive.

Thanks in advance.

I've ordered one from the CreateStyle Store from aliexpress its £10.14 and looks like a giant cereal box but I had the L168 size from amazon and its didn't fit my oneplus 7 pro so no way fit an iPad mini.

Just looked up the sizes and its 3.9h x 7w x 6d

Free shipping so worth a punt..

Anybody ordered this from DJI? Seem like it has a lot of open space. Wonder how effective it will be.

View attachment 106843

This looks more effective than the ones that go straight up. Those offer no shade when the sun is above.

Reactions: OnlyMavic
I'm wanting to order a hood shade for my MA2 setup using a Ipad mini 5 but I'm not sure what size to get. All the ones that I am looking at are listed as L + 3 numbers. I think that I need a size L168 but I"m not positive.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there, defo an L168. Just bought a replacement one from Amazon for my ipad mini 4, which is same size as the mini 5.

@aokusman Following this thread, too. I have an iPhone 11 (not Pro or Pro Max), and am wondering if that hood is going to be an effective shield. Interested also in details regarding construction and materials quality, ease of use, etc. What doesn't look right to me is the way the back panel seems to fall down over and in front of the antennae. I was under the impression that you NEVER want to place anything in front of those. Thank you in advance for reporting back.

Last edited:
Watching and waiting for a review of the hood from DJI as well. How easy is it to put on and take off? Will it fold up and fit in the Fly More case? And most importantly, how effective is it in blocking out the sun in direct sunlight? It better be good for it's $29 USD price tag. For the time being I'll continue to use my no cost cereal box cutout.

Quite easy to make a hood from foam board. Only cost $1.
I watch your Youtube video and was wondering what you was using underneath the iPad plus how you was connecting it to the back shade.
Now I see you made some out of foam board and again how are you attaching it under the iPad?
Plus where or what are the hooks you have at the front edge?
I was planning on making my own from your vid but like the foam board better.

Another concern about buying the Mavic Air 2 Remote Controller Monitor Hood from the DJI store is if that order is fulfilled from within the US, or if it's another 3-week wait for it to ship from China.

UPDATE: I just chatted with a DJI rep online, and was informed that they are unable to say which warehouse an order placed at the DJI Store will ship from. There are two in the US, one in the UK, and one in China. Without knowing which warehouse will fulfill an order of this hood, I will NOT order it. Maybe it can be found elsewhere.

Last edited:
Another concern about buying the Mavic Air 2 Remote Controller Monitor Hood from the DJI store is if that order is fulfilled from within the US, or if it's another 3-week wait for it to ship from China.

UPDATE: I just chatted with a DJI rep online, and was informed that they are unable to say which warehouse an order placed at the DJI Store will ship from. There are two in the US, one in the UK, and one in China. Without knowing which warehouse will fulfill an order of this hood, I will NOT order it. Maybe it can be found elsewhere.

Mine shipped from Ga.

Reactions: OnlyMavic
Mine shipped from Ga.

Yup, Georgia is where the rep said one of the US warehouses is. So maybe that's where the fulfillment of these kids of accessories is taking place. That's good to hear. Thanks, @aokusman for letting us know what you think about it, after you've had a chance to use it.

It lays flat and quickly attaches with two elastic bands. Check out the video I posted on page one of this thread.
Thanks for your info and I finally made mine.

Did a little bit tweaking and reinforcement but it turn out great.

It would be great if I could find black matte vinyl tape.

I would use it on the inside corners but all I have is the shiny stuff.

Reactions: Hummingbird.UAV
Thanks for your info and I finally made mine.

Did a little bit tweaking and reinforcement but it turn out great.

It would be great if I could find black matte vinyl tape.

I would use it on the inside corners but all I have is the shiny stuff.

Electrical tape.

Tested it out a bit. There was not too much sunlight. Build and feel is nice. Attaches easily to the controller. One issue you will have is sunlight creeping in from the sides depending on your orientation. This can easily be overcome by placing a lite
dda3f3e2c0e7801dddb7a8e7c409b5ed.jpg

material over the side to block the sunlight. The real test will be when the sun is above you, unfortunately I could not test this aspect.
480927b74e01870d7b5373d6816cbbc9.jpg

677f32f4d2f3222a1382795defaf449e.jpg

0b890d9e1f3fb03eaf9055895f61929d.jpg

7a5ffe8af64d20f09e2dd119b18659c0.jpg

@aokusman Thank you very much for the photos and the review. Much appreciated! I ordered mine, and am waiting for it to ship (from somewhere... hopefully CA or GA). It does look like it will fill the bill. But what interests me the most (and what I would really like to hear from you) is if that back panel, which drops down in front of the antennae head, has any effect at all on reception. I know that one of the first things I'm going to do when I get mine is perform distance tests, with and without this hood on. It bothers me that DJI would say to never obstruct the antennae, and then design and sell a hood that does that. I guess we'll just see. But you might want to do your own distance test, and see if there's any difference.

@aokusman Thank you very much for the photos and the review. Much appreciated! I ordered mine, and am waiting for it to ship (from somewhere... hopefully CA or GA). It does look like it will fill the bill. But what interests me the most (and what I would really like to hear from you) is if that back panel, which drops down in front of the antennae head, has any effect at all on reception. I know that one of the first things I'm going to do when I get mine is perform distance tests, with and without this hood on. It bothers me that DJI would say to never obstruct the antennae, and then design and sell a hood that does that. I guess we'll just see. But you might want to do your own distance test, and see if there's any difference.

I did not notice any difference from my previous flights. Tomorrow I’ll be going to a quarry where I can fly out over sand and see if I get less distance than before.

My hood order has been fulfilled from Georgia, thankfully. It appears that a global supply chain company Expeditors, with warehousing in Ellenwood, GA are responsible for DJI's order fulfillment in the US. Really looking forward to seeing how well it works.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr