DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hoping my Husband didnt waste his money

EllaVR

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
My name is Tash and Im completely new to drones and this sort of technology. But my absolute love for Photography had me wanting a drone for ages! And well , last night my husband came home with the Mavic Pro Platinum! !!
Was so stoaked right up until I went to download the app. ... and read all the bad reviews for Samsung users. Im gutted as Im a Samsung S6 user.
So my question is, will this app work with my phone and drone or have we just wasted $2k
Thanks so much for any help

There's no need to be gutted until you actually run into problems. Try setting up your phone like this for the best performance.

Hubby dropped 2 Large on the Mavic Pro Platinum and spending another 89.00 dollars on a flawless Android Device Huawei XT2
$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

that can be a dedicated Phone for the Mavic Pro Platinum is too much to invest?

This hobby is not an inexpensive one and it can be very rewarding if one chooses thier purchases carefully.

If you like IOs devices then get a used Ipad Mini 2 which works flawlessly as well.

Welcome to the forum! There's the Wunderphone and Wundertab (just do a search for endless discussions) which work well from reports. Some elect to stay with Samsung's base installation with @msinger's tweaks and do well too. There are some of us which use Samsung hardware (I've got a Galaxy Tab S2) with a third-party version of Android and which makes a rock-solid platform. When you consider the amount invested in the drone having a dedicated display device is not a big overall expenditure. (Unless you go with Apple... :eek:)

Reactions: EllaVR
I switched a Tab A6 over to a de-bloated Android ROM. Relatively straightforward, just took some time to further pare down the installed apps.

Worked great - just be aware, some tablets have strong magnets in the back (like the Tab A series) that can cause problems if stored next to other items or your drone. Removing them isn't particularly hard, just take your time.

Hi Everyone,
My name is Tash and Im completely new to drones and this sort of technology. But my absolute love for Photography had me wanting a drone for ages! And well , last night my husband came home with the Mavic Pro Platinum! !!
Was so stoaked right up until I went to download the app. ... and read all the bad reviews for Samsung users. Im gutted as Im a Samsung S6 user.
So my question is, will this app work with my phone and drone or have we just wasted $2k

I was using an S6 when I first got my MPP and I didn’t encounter any problems at all. I’ve since switched to an IPad Air 2 for a bigger screen. Just take things slow and be very careful until you get a feel for it!

Thanks heaps for your advice, definitely appreciate it.
The **** thing scares the crap out of me after watching countless hours of YouTube videos. .. definitely nothing like using a DSLR ☺

Reactions: VJRice
Hi Everyone,

Just tell him a iPhone X for valentines would be a nice addition

He didn't waste his money, you'll love the Mavic, read as much as you can about it, that will be a huge plus.

Have Fun !!

The **** thing scares the crap out of me after watching countless hours of YouTube videos. .. definitely nothing like using a DSLR ☺

It's like buying a nice Nikon and tossing it in the air. But with a bit more control. Just proceed slowly and don't move on to the next step until after you are so bored at the current level you can't stand it. The photography actually comes last.

Reactions: kkinderen and JMF

Just dont fly indoors. Then when taking off just bring it up to a hover for a few moments to make sure there are no anomalies. Get comfortable with taking fingers off sticks for a moment and allowing the Mavic Pro to hover. Lots of flyers like to zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom. Better to learn that one can "park in the sky" for a moment or two without peril.

Dont take off near objects with alot of metal - i.e. vehicles , concrete , etc
. Make sure that you are not under anything when taking off and setting the home point (does it automatically) as it will try and land in that spot.
If flown backwards there is no obstacle avoidance.

To Activate Return to Home one must press and HOLD not just press the button.
Upper right thumbwheel controls Exposure Value without having to go into the DJIGO 4 app.

Theres lots to remember , but with practice its an amazing piece of technology.

Were here for you if you have questions! Each an every person on this board started where you started.

Reactions: Rob1963
If you love photography, wait till you see the pictures you can get from ABOVE!

I use China phones and tablets. Their brands are unknown. It is cheap and well made.
They are also not on DJI list.
No problems with my P3S and Mavic.
Why waste money on Apple, Samsung etc. They are too Expensive.

Hi Everyone,
Hello Tash, welcome to the community. No definitely not it is a fantastic piece of kit, I have used an A5 from day 1 and had no problems what so ever, I wouldn't recommend it as the screen is small and there are better options it's just that I already had that so I didn't have to buy anything else. Enjoy your new hobby it becomes very absorbing.

I was using an S6 when I first got my MPP and I didn’t encounter any problems at all. I’ve since switched to an IPad Air 2 for a bigger screen.
I did exactly the same thing, iPad Air2 rather than an S6. In addition to the larger screen size, you'll also benefit from the seemingly more stable IOS vs Android version of the Go4 App.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,
Good thing you came here. There are a lot of helpful people with a ton of knowledge that you should use.
I have a Samsung phone and haven't read all the bad posts which I am glad is the case. Point being, I have flown almost daily since September 20017 using my Samsung phone with the DJI Go4 app with no problems at all.
Fly, take pictures and have fun. Just be careful. These things really are very smart. Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech