DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizon and Altitude Management on Mini 3 RC

Lister

Reactions
My new Mini 3 shares the Mini 2's gimbal pointing/altitude difficulties.

If you want to ascend or descend and control the height of the horizon in the frame, you need to actuate both functions with the same hand - your left hand. This isn't easy and it should be. This is a basic, commonly-needed function.

The Mini 3 RC unit has two thumbwheels. If you could use the RH thumbwheel for horizon control and the left joystick for altitude, it would be a much more ergonomic solution and horizon management would be far easier for us newbie pilots.

DJI, please invoke this possibility via a firmware update.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
My new Mini 3 shares the Mini 2's gimbal pointing/altitude difficulties.

If you want to ascend or descend and control the height of the horizon in the frame, you need to actuate both functions with the same hand - your left hand. This isn't easy and it should be. This is a basic, commonly-needed function.

The Mini 3 RC unit has two thumbwheels. If you could use the RH thumbwheel for horizon control and the left joystick for altitude, it would be a much more ergonomic solution and horizon management would be far easier for us newbie pilots.

DJI, please invoke this possibility via a firmware update.
Agreed, the gimbal tilt with the right scroll wheel is a feature that is available on the M2P.

Reactions: Lister
You can switch from mode 2 to mode 1. Page 41 of the manual. Problem
solved.
I may be mis-reading the manual and I don't have my Mini 3 to test with, but it appears that using mode 3 simply moves the problem to the other hand. You still have to use the same hand to control both altitude and gimbal: your right hand in Mode 3, your left in Mode 2.

Using two hands to control these closely-related, yet separate functions would be far easier IMHO.

It's really awkward and precarious to hold the remote with one hand, but you can control the gimbal with a right finger on the display.

It's really awkward and precarious to hold the remote with one hand, but you can control the gimbal with a right finger on the display.
That's good to know. So, because the RC is a touch screen, you can drag the horizon on-screen? That might help. When my replacement Mini 3 gets here (long story), I'll be keen to try that out. Thanks!

@Lister yes, and I had the RC-N1 in mind... much more doable with the DJI RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial