DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hot Air Balloons: how close can I reasonably get?

WilliamDaugherty

Reactions
Site
drone-artist.com
I live not too far from an airfield that hosts hot air balloon events a few times each year. There are also single flights on most fair weather afternoons in the warmer months. That said, I've flown numerous times when a balloon was nearby, but I've never gotten closer than about 1/2 mile. My question is this: what is a safe/reasonable distance, assuming I am not downwind? They often land in the open fields near me and it would be an easy thing to fly closer as they are landing. Yes, these are manned aircraft, but given their inability to maneuver (other than up and down) it seems like it would be safe to get a bit closer. Thanks.

Reactions: Sharpshooter
Hi.
I’d go to the airfield and talk to / ask the balloon pilots.
I’m sure they’d appreciate the effort and you can get their direct input and any aspects they’d be concerned with.
I just emailed one of the "experimental balloon" pilots explaining my interest and asking "at what distance would you NOT be concerned?" Let's see what he says.

As for visiting the airfield, during the big event I doubt I could get access to the various pilots/teams. They will all be very busy and frankly I doubt they would have time or patience for a drone pilot.

My original question is more about what we as drone pilots and FAA rule-followers should consider as "safe distance". There has to be a number. As I've said, I've flown within 1/2 mile and got some nice photos but I could do a lot better if I was even 1/4 mile closer. There has to be an objective limit, assuming good weather/visibility. At over 2,000' distance the balloon pilot would never know I was there.

FYI, there are no TFRs for this event.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a hard and fast distance to keep from a manned aircraft, assuming a hot air balloon is considered one too.
Pretty sure those pilots are licensed in some way to fly.
The general rule is land if you become aware of manned aircraft in your vicinity.
Ok, a hot air balloon isn’t powered, but they can move reasonably fast sometimes I guess, and too close is a creeping risk, especially if there are more than one flying nearby.
Be good to hear what response you get to your email, I think the question "at what distance would you NOT be concerned?" kind of implies you want to get as close as possible (to them), that might get a cautious reply or rebuff.

Last edited:
I would also ask, at what 'closeness' would you lose the sense of what a balloon is and what it does? I think it requires some 'standoff' to retain that perspective.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a hard and fast distance to keep from a manned aircraft, assuming a hot air balloon is considered one too.
Pretty sure those pilots are licensed in some way to fly.
The general rule is land if you become aware of manned aircraft in your vicinity.
Ok, a hot air balloon isn’t powered, but they can move reasonably fast sometimes I guess, and too close is a creeping risk, especially if there are more than one flying nearby.
Be good to hear what response you get to your email, I think the question "at what distance would you NOT be concerned?" kind of implies you want to get as close as possible (to them), that might get a cautious reply or rebuff.
Balloon pilots are in fact licensed in the US and the balloons are absolutely "manned aircraft", but nowhere in the regs does it suggest to land if manned aircraft are "in your vicinity". We are instructed to "give way", which for a HAB doesn't mean the same thing as a maneuverable manned aircraft.

I would also ask, at what 'closeness' would you lose the sense of what a balloon is and what it does? I think it requires some 'standoff' to retain that perspectI
I can't imagine flying so close that I would lose perspective. That doesn't interest me at all, but getting close enough to get good footage does.

nowhere in the regs does it suggest to land if manned aircraft are "in your vicinity".

Ah, FAA differences to our rules.
I’d still try and talk to a pilot / crew and ask if 2000’ distance is safe for them.
That would likely get a positive response.
I’d probably mention you’d keep away from downwind of them also, only upwind or 90o to the sides.

So here's a video that is linked in another post on this forum. This is exactly what I had in mind: following a HAB as it descends to a landing position. The OP stated he followed the HAB in his car until it got low enough he thought it would land soon, then sought a launching location and the result is what we see in the video. He also states he was a long way off from the HAB but to me it looks pretty close. Much closer than I've ever flown.

Ah, FAA differences to our rules.
I’d still try and talk to a pilot / crew and ask if 2000’ distance is safe for them.
That would likely get a positive response.
I’d probably mention you’d keep away from downwind of them also, only upwind or 90o to the sides.
As mentioned, I'm awaiting a response from a known HAB pilot who is participating in this weekend's event. I stipulated not being downwind as part of the question.

My reason for this post was to see if anyone else was already doing this and if so, what distances were involved. Perhaps it is a very rare situation.

I live not too far from an airfield that hosts hot air balloon events a few times each year. There are also single flights on most fair weather afternoons in the warmer months. That said, I've flown numerous times when a balloon was nearby, but I've never gotten closer than about 1/2 mile. My question is this: what is a safe/reasonable distance, assuming I am not downwind? They often land in the open fields near me and it would be an easy thing to fly closer as they are landing. Yes, these are manned aircraft, but given their inability to maneuver (other than up and down) it seems like it would be safe to get a bit closer. Thanks.
They take a test. They are considered pilots. It's an aircraft that can potentially behave erratically with wind. If it was me I would treat them as any other aircraft and give way. Aka I would land immediately if I spot one in the vacinity

2000' ?? I'd get my 107 and team up with the pilots to sell video of the client's flight. Put a 7x tele (mav3) on and you can get close ups of the newly weds or shots of the balloon or pretty much whatever you want. I have no idea about FAA regulations but in terms of safety I don't know why you couldn't be within a few hundred feet. Balloons don't exactly turn on a dime and if you were within VLOS I don't see why you could not get pretty darn close. I've been blown away at the effectiveness of the 7x. Imagine some mastershots or other presets with your drone above the balloon...

Standard FAA distance clearance for opposing powered aircraft on an air route is 1000ft in altitude in VFR flight. Two aircraft can easily be closing at 400 mph! For a solo balloon you safely can get closer than currently. Mass balloon ascensions can lead to a collection of ballon’s at multiple altitudes. There distance would prevent becoming surrounded - that would challenging. I believe you can move closer but beware if there is one balloon - there may be others launching upwind. They don’t have much upward visibility

Reactions: mereflyer
I can understand not wanting to bother a balloon pilot as he/she was prepping to fly, but if you know where they land just wait patiently as they stow the balloon then approach them when they are done to have a dialog.

I have thought about going to the balloon festival in Albuquerque and would also like to know the answer to your question. I am a part 107 pilot and don’t recall seeing anything more specific in the regulations other than that which another poster said about “giving way”.

I can understand not wanting to bother a balloon pilot as he/she was prepping to fly, but if you know where they land just wait patiently as they stow the balloon then approach them when they are done to have a dialog.

I have thought about going to the balloon festival in Albuquerque and would also like to know the answer to your question. I am a part 107 pilot and don’t recall seeing anything more specific in the regulations other than that which another poster said about “giving way”.
The FAA says no to drones at the Albuquerque event. They set up a TFR with a four-mile radius.

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
Interesting to know. Since there are 0 balloons within 300miles this won't be a problem for me. Too bad no drones during the Albaquerque festival. I've attended that and it is really quite amazing.

I mean what could do wrong?

Reactions: GFields and okw
2000' ?? I'd get my 107 and team up with the pilots to sell video of the client's flight. Put a 7x tele (mav3) on and you can get close ups of the newly weds or shots of the balloon or pretty much whatever you want. I have no idea about FAA regulations but in terms of safety I don't know why you couldn't be within a few hundred feet. Balloons don't exactly turn on a dime and if you were within VLOS I don't see why you could not get pretty darn close. I've been blown away at the effectiveness of the 7x. Imagine some mastershots or other presets with your drone above the balloon...
I smell a new business venture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev