DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hovering at night !

JackF

Reactions
I just did my first night flight and the mavic seemed not to be as stable during take off ! At least compared to how it hovers during day light ! Is this normal ? Are low light conditions causing this ?

Yes. The Mavic is not able to hold its position as well when the downward sensors are not able to detect the ground.

Reactions: JackF
The same thing happened to me last night. Its vertical positioning was not stable at all. This was at dusk.

yep at night and low to the ground my Mavic is not as stable either. as soon as i get some altitude the stability seems much better and closer to what i would have flying low to ground or in hover in daytime

And this happens with full GPS coverage? I'm baffled

Isn't the problem that the downward position sensors are trying to do its thing when there isn't suitable lighting to do so.
I experienced similar problem at low altitude in dark, when I turned the sensor of it started to behave as expected.
The sensors don't have some auto off function so they're still trying tough it's dark, they're just not successful at it.

Isn't the problem that the downward position sensors are trying to do its thing when there isn't suitable lighting to do so.
I experienced similar problem at low altitude in dark, when I turned the sensor of it started to behave as expected.
The sensors don't have some auto off function so they're still trying tough it's dark, they're just not successful at it.

That could make sense
Kind like flying over water with VPS enabled, expecially the lower sensors

Reactions: Red_Raven
you are probably close to the mark. i only have the landing area check turned off not the whole OA. (stops the auto land initiating at altitude in 500 firmware so i am told on here).

i have not tried with the OA off as normally after hovering to make last minute checks for 30 secs i am off and high enough that it flys fine and the drift is not so bad i worry about it much. mine is maybe a foot max in any direction but mostly less. It kind of twitches more than drifts.

Reactions: Red_Raven
The same thing happened to me last night. Its vertical positioning was not stable at all. This was at dusk.
were you hovering over damp/long grass or wet asphalt?
Regards,
-d.

were you hovering over damp/long grass or wet asphalt?
Regards,
-d.
In my case, i take off from a paved patio (no rebar) but the rest of the garden is grass.
Maybe it does twitch more over the grass than the patio, i will have to try it out when i get a chance, i cant do it tonight as i used all my batteries today.

In my case, i take off from a paved patio (no rebar) but the rest of the garden is grass.
Maybe it does twitch more over the grass than the patio, i will have to try it out when i get a chance, i cant do it tonight as i used all my batteries today.
The ultrasonic sensors on the bottom are the main vertical stabilizers in low level flight and the two cameras on the bottom help with horizontal movement. I live in the high plains but I have one patch of land, a couple acres that I keep tall for the foxes and whatnot and my mavic does not hover as well over that patch or with the morning dew. With asphalt I think when it is wet it refracts the sound and can make the drone unsteady.
Regards,
-d.
These opinions are strictly my own, and while based on empirical evidence are in no way to be construed as professional advice or meant to offend.

The ultrasonic sensors on the bottom are the main vertical stabilizers in low level flight and the two cameras on the bottom help with horizontal movement. I live in the high plains but I have one patch of land, a couple acres that I keep tall for the foxes and whatnot and my mavic does not hover as well over that patch or with the morning dew. With asphalt I think when it is wet it refracts the sound and can make the drone unsteady.
Regards,
-d.
These opinions are strictly my own, and while based on empirical evidence are in no way to be construed as professional advice or meant to offend.

Am sure you are correct

I guess in the same way autoland is confused by water and the sun even at high altitude as the glare from the sun off water or even wet asphalt will confuse the senors, sending it in to autoland as has been discussed here a lot.

i don't think anyone could be offended by sound reasoning :) if they are maybe they should be somewhere else.

You can tell me i am wrong all day long and i will not be offended, especially if you have the evidence and i do not lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras