DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How about detachable cameras for the Air3 Airframe.

Krrr

Premium Pilot
Reactions
You could have your day setup with Wide or Tele and switch over to a IR setup at night. Adding setups instead of adding a Fleet. What do you think?
I realize they want to sell the whole cow.
I would buy another setup for both the Air3 and M4P if available, but don't need anymore planes around.
Ideas?

There are enough of you who love this for DJI to do it. Autel tried it after a bunch of people "asked" for it and as usual, no one was serious and nobody bought it. DJI should learn from that. We all like the idea, we hate the cost.

Sounds like a viable Air 3S idea, but only after it comes out on the Mavic 4 first.

It will never happen. DJI and other manufacturers would rather sell a new unit. Outside the Enterprise and Inspire series, I don't see DJI interested in doing such.

Inclined to agree with Gfields, I would also suspect that they'ed have concerns about ham fisted owners breaking connectors etc. .

What weight would need to be added to make connectors 'ham fisted' proof ?

I think I have swapped cameras on a mavic 2 but I would not fancy diconnecting and reconnecting those tiny block connectors many times.
I have certainly swapped camera and glimbal assemblies in the P3 range, a broken Pro became an Adv.

Given how complicated camera and gimbal assemblies are, how many 'impossible to damage' contact pads would be needed ? Quite a few I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krrr
I had an Autel X-Star Premium at one time that you could easily exchange cameras. They had a Thermal camera that fit it. Unfortunately, they never really followed through with other camera choices and made a very limited amount of the thermal cameras that were over $1000 at the time (If you could actually find one). It could have been a great system that allowed you to just keep upgrading payloads but shortly after that, the dropped support of it and finding batteries are near impossible.

You could have your day setup with Wide or Tele and switch over to a IR setup at night. Adding setups instead of adding a Fleet. What do you think?
I realize they want to sell the whole cow.
I would buy another setup for both the Air3 and M4P if available, but don't need anymore planes around.
Ideas?
Starting with the Inspire 1, the Inspire 2 and the *early* Mavic 2 airframe (before DJI clued-on they were missing a whole extra crop of fruit from the money tree), modular cameras/gimbals were and still are a brilliant idea.

Making a smaller connector block similar to the Zenmuse unit would have solved the fumble-fingers problem at a stroke.

Modular cameras were the main reason I looked so hard at the EVO 2 (and I'm still badly tempted to have a 3-in-1 camera option with a single airframe).

Business likes selling new products in volume and DJI's repeat customers have been programmed to be like Pavlov's dog and chase after a whole new drone instead of a sensible upgrade.

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Starting with the Inspire 1, the Inspire 2 and the *early* Mavic 2 airframe (before DJI clued-on they were missing a whole extra crop of fruit from the money tree), modular cameras/gimbals were and still are a brilliant idea.

Making a smaller connector block similar to the Zenmuse unit would have solved the fumble-fingers problem at a stroke.

Modular cameras were the main reason I looked so hard at the EVO 2 (and I'm still badly tempted to have a 3-in-1 camera option with a single airframe).

Business likes selling new products in volume and DJI's repeat customers have been programmed to be like Pavlov's dog and chase after a whole new drone instead of a sensible upgrade.
I don't think anyone denies it would be nice to have different cameras, different radios, different batteries, different remotes, etc all with the same drone frame that can accommodate it. Some of it makes sense; most of it doesn't. We would all love it. The problem is, unfortunately, no one can properly execute it. DJI, Autel....no one has the ability to make this work smoothly so as to minimize cost and keep the customer satisfied. I could go into a thousand ways why not but I won't. I would say the biggest reason why it isn't worth it is demand: Customers love this stuff until they see the prices. I think it looks like a money maker on paper but when you actually try to do it, the losses are apparent especially if you don't get it right. For example, the thought might be why can't Mavic owners update their drones to O4 so they can't be compatible with the new O4 equipment plus take advantage of O4 capabilities? Why wait for a Mavic 4 and pay $3,000 when you can get this upgrade for only $999 for your current Mavic 3 Pro? o_O

Reactions: Felix le Chat
I don't think anyone denies it would be nice to have different cameras, different radios, different batteries, different remotes, etc all with the same drone frame that can accommodate it. Some of it makes sense; most of it doesn't. We would all love it. The problem is, unfortunately, no one can properly execute it. DJI, Autel....no one has the ability to make this work smoothly so as to minimize cost and keep the customer satisfied. I could go into a thousand ways why not but I won't. I would say the biggest reason why it isn't worth it is demand: Customers love this stuff until they see the prices. I think it looks like a money maker on paper but when you actually try to do it, the losses are apparent especially if you don't get it right. For example, the thought might be why can't Mavic owners update their drones to O4 so they can't be compatible with the new O4 equipment plus take advantage of O4 capabilities? Why wait for a Mavic 4 and pay $3,000 when you can get this upgrade for only $999 for your current Mavic 3 Pro? o_O
And on top of that, there's the biggest DJI sales killer looming on the American horizon courtesy of Federal and State paranoiacs. But I'll stick by my guns and repeat that all of us owning DJI drones either suffer with FOLO syndrome, or are so far down the "newer is better" rabbithole that we lurch forwards, waving our credit cards in the air every time a new model is 'leaked'.
I'm old. I like upgrade-able.

Let me illustrate.
A186z9ilLLL._AC_SL1500_-2687874428.jpg
Compared to.....
Full-toolbox-768x469-3535592649.png

😁

Last edited:
Brass handled jeweller's screw driver with a hollow handle for storing the smaller screwdrivers by any chance? Or is that a made up photo? Some things don't look correct.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Brass handled jeweller's screw driver with a hollow handle for storing the smaller screwdrivers by any chance? Or is that a made up photo? Some things don't look correct.
It's a real shot. I ain't that good at compositing. It's just to humorously illustrate how one body with many tools beats the crap out of having to cart many individual tools around. 😁..... but I did spot the plastic spider that you didn't mention.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
The things that caught my eye were the Vernier and the clawed hammer.....they just look odd, the Vernier looks very small and seems be measuring an appreciably thick handle on the tool box.
Now I have just noticed a Duracell PP3 with exposed terminals lol., shorting one of those is not a good idea lol, I don't know if they exploded but it packs a fair wallop lol.
Oh on zooming the "brass handled jeweller's screw driver" looks to have a wooden handle and not be a screwdriver, whoops !

Call me skeptical. The butterfly, ladybug, and spider are rather suspicious, and the spider just doesn't look real.

🙂
Maybe it's a sneaky concept mock-up of a Spreading Wings S1000..... **** clever, those Chinese.... another 'teaser leak'. Wonder how many people subliminally reached for their wallet? 🤪

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J