DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How about the Samsung Note 9 with DJI Fly

tjpearson

Reactions
Getting the Mini coincided with my birthday and I had an old Note 4 that would not run DJI Fly app so my Apple mad wife treated me to top of range iPhone costing £1500, I had full expectations that at this price it would blow me out the water, a big not here. I actually hate the phone with its clever clever corny thinking telling me I have memories and being just as limiting as they were when I last tried one 14 years ago, they have not improved apart from the camera so I’m giving it to my wife and considering a second hand Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to give me back control of my phone, has anybody had any issues running DJI Fly using this phone please.

Before going for a Note 9 there is one other consideration you should bear in mind, the controller charging the phone.
The battery of the controller does not have a huge capacity and Android devices draw near 1/2A from the controller, this flattens the controller battery quite quickly. With my Samsung S6 I could probably get 3 full battery flights from a controller but question whether I could get a 4th. Some Android devices can switch this current off, my S6 can not.
There is a work around which uses a USB battery pack and a splitter cable to 'power' the phone post #17 in Mavic mini controller keeps charging my android phone.
Iphones etc draw minimal current from the controller.

Reactions: tjpearson
Oh yeah PF, remember seeing something about that, thanks I will delve a little further, I suppose downloading Note user manual will be my next step.

if you are happy with your present phone ,then ask your apple mad wife to get you a ipad WIFI only model just for your drone, a lot cheaper than a phone

Yes but I hate Apple so for me that’s the problem, desperate to go back to Android but understand the issues associated with Mini and Android even though only minor but need confirmation the Note 9 runs DJI Fly happily.

Reactions: old man mavic
@tjpearson i was similar to you when i first had my PH3 i had a android device and android phones,then i got my MMP and my old eyes needed a larger screen to see the app better there was a sale on for the 6 th gen 9.7 WIFI 2018 model 64 gig that was cheaper than a similar sized android device i bit the bullet
and to be honest it was the best thing i ever did it works for both my drones without issues ,i have disabled or deleted all the apps i dont need for flying with,and it does not drain the controllers when in use, i have since started using an iphone as well and i guess i am a apple convert

Uuuum just reading the Fly apps reviews on google play and noticed one, by a Joe Burke, dated 3/7/20, saying " and the app doesn't work with a samsung note 9 ".

Excellent, do you happen to know precisely which model of Note 9 you have? That would be useful to TJPeasrson.
Your saying your's works whilst the Amazon review says it didn't has brought to mind posts saying such and such a version of phone xyz works with the app whilst a different version of the same phone does not

I use the mavic mini with note9 model SM-N960F.

Works fine but the phone does steal some juice from the controller. I have 3 batteries for my MM but have only ever used 1.5 in one go. Will depend on how long you want to fly. Have also heard there is a way to stop the phone charging but not looked into it yet.

Hope this helps. Note9 is a decent phone too.

Excellent, do you happen to know precisely which model of Note 9 you have? That would be useful to TJPeasrson.
Your saying your's works whilst the Amazon review says it didn't has brought to mind posts saying such and such a version of phone xyz works with the app whilst a different version of the same phone does not

It's the SM-N960F model (UK model of the Note 9).

Yes PF and uptherighttree, great this, every bit of info helps. Be good to eventually have a database of gadgets and version to let users know good or bad, userbility capability and etc
Nice one

I cant stand apple either ;). Note 9 works fine on mini however N9 screen even in its brightest settings is still hard to see in sunlight.
I always start with fully charged phone and controller.

Getting the Mini coincided with my birthday and I had an old Note 4 that would not run DJI Fly app so my Apple mad wife treated me to top of range iPhone costing £1500, I had full expectations that at this price it would blow me out the water, a big not here. I actually hate the phone with its clever clever corny thinking telling me I have memories and being just as limiting as they were when I last tried one 14 years ago, they have not improved apart from the camera so I’m giving it to my wife and considering a second hand Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to give me back control of my phone, has anybody had any issues running DJI Fly using this phone please.
My Note 9 doesn't work with DJI Mini. The DJI Fly app loads but when you click on profile or anything actually it tries to open up but thejust goes black and in a few seconds back to the screen. In other words it wont work.

The only drawback I have found using the Note 9, and as my primary phone, is that it may not fit the RC holder if you have it in a case. Mine is in a case, and while it fits tightly its a little tilted...BUT the Note 9 is a substantialy larger device to begin with.

As for app opperation. I have had zero issues using a SM-N960U (USA Verizon)

The charging the phone while using the drone issue.
Yes, the controller does that. My undertanding is its an Android side issue, as Apple devices do not do this, not a DJI side issue. Regardless, I have never had a power issue with the controller/phone. I do make sure the phone is charged when I fly, but that is a personal choice I make and neither the battery levels in the phone or controller have ever been low enough after flight to make me think it would be a power requirment.

Overall I have had zero issues with the function of the Note 9.

Reactions: ff22
The charge issue with Androids is a Google problem. Google never provided API control of charging for apps to use like Apple did in the iOS.

USB standards require a host to provide at least 500mA to a device, and the USB circuitry in most Androids want to see power before they'll activate data. And when the Android sees power, it wants to charge.

The only drawback I have found using the Note 9, and as my primary phone, is that it may not fit the RC holder if you have it in a case. Mine is in a case, and while it fits tightly its a little tilted...BUT the Note 9 is a substantialy larger device to begin with.

The case issue can be significant. I suspect that many folks have their phones in a protective case. The controller's jaws are generally not able to accommodate phones or smaller tablets protected by a case. It would be nice if DJI made a change to allow cases.

The case issue can be significant. I suspect that many folks have their phones in a protective case. The controller's jaws are generally not able to accommodate phones or smaller tablets protected by a case. It would be nice if DJI made a change to allow cases.

I have a Unicorn Beetle Supcase, and it fits but only just and the RC holds it a tad tilted but still securely. Otherwise I have a tablet adapter and just use my phone instead of a tablet. No troubles that way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78