DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how big can this hobby get

Seven NEW DJI Drones and everything that goes with them over a 3-4 year period.....hooked bad. Figured that I would pass along to my grandkids, but I am running out of grandkids....

I see myself posting an identical message within a year. I just started this hobby with the Mini 2 fly more combo last month. I’ve studied and passed my part 107 (I’m US based) and flown weekly. Purchased a landing pad, which I no longer use since I switched to hand launch/capture, ND/PL filters, prop guards, phone shade for the controller, iPad holder, and fireproof battery case.

Lately, I have caught myself browsing online shops for Mavic Air 2 fly more packages, primarily for the ability for HDR, flat color profile, focus track, and my perception it will be slightly more robust in winds. Although the Mini 2 handles winds far better than I expected it to.

I’ve so far resisted adding to my fleet though. I most likely will wait for the Mavic 3 and will then buy yet another slew of accessories. Want to fully use the Mini for awhile before I purchase a sibling rival.

If you’re flying commercially, trust me....you will buy more to set yourself apart from the competition. I’ve recovered my costs in a month or so. It makes work so much easier. Be patient. Money well spent.

Can you advise the minimum spec on a pc for 4K editing as mine needs
replacing soon.
You've already received a couple of responses, but I'll throw in my 3 cents worth anyway. I recently upgraded my PC for the same reason and my advice is: (This worked for me, your experience may vary)

Check the minimum requirements for the software you plan to use.

Get the best CPU you can afford, this is where the vast majority of the video editing processing is handled. Most expensive video cards are intended for gaming and don't really help in video editing. As long as your GPU supports 4k, and most do these days, you're okay.

Maximize memory. I got 32 GB, 16 was recommended by the software, 8 minimum, but I don't think you can have too much. This is a must, regardless of what else you get.

If you can afford them, get Solid state drives (SSD) for the system and your video/photo storage. I got a total of 3 Tb's in SSD storage. The speed difference is amazing. Long term storage for video and photos (inactive files) can be on slower drives.

I love my new PC. Startup and boot takes less than 10 seconds and my video editing software is very happy.

You've already received a couple of responses, but I'll throw in my 3 cents worth anyway. I recently upgraded my PC for the same reason and my advice is: (This worked for me, your experience may vary)

Check the minimum requirements for the software you plan to use.

Get the best CPU you can afford, this is where the vast majority of the video editing processing is handled. Most expensive video cards are intended for gaming and don't really help in video editing. As long as your GPU supports 4k, and most do these days, you're okay.

Maximize memory. I got 32 GB, 16 was recommended by the software, 8 minimum, but I don't think you can have too much. This is a must, regardless of what else you get.

If you can afford them, get Solid state drives (SSD) for the system and your video/photo storage. I got a total of 3 Tb's in SSD storage. The speed difference is amazing. Long term storage for video and photos (inactive files) can be on slower drives.

I love my new PC. Startup and boot takes less than 10 seconds and my video editing software is very happy.
Thanks for your help Barbara, hopefully
I'll be able to start looking for a new one
Soon. Keep safe. ??

Reactions: Barbara
I see myself posting an identical message within a year. I just started this hobby with the Mini 2 fly more combo last month. I’ve studied and passed my part 107 (I’m US based) and flown weekly. Purchased a landing pad, which I no longer use since I switched to hand launch/capture, ND/PL filters, prop guards, phone shade for the controller, iPad holder, and fireproof battery case.

Lately, I have caught myself browsing online shops for Mavic Air 2 fly more packages, primarily for the ability for HDR, flat color profile, focus track, and my perception it will be slightly more robust in winds. Although the Mini 2 handles winds far better than I expected it to.

I’ve so far resisted adding to my fleet though. I most likely will wait for the Mavic 3 and will then buy yet another slew of accessories. Want to fully use the Mini for awhile before I purchase a sibling rival.
My friend I am in the same boat, bar the fact I have the mini 1. I'm always looking at drones online but constantly have to keep reminding myself wait for the Mavic 3. It's a bit of an addiction.

My friend I am in the same boat, bar the fact I have the mini 1. I'm always looking at drones online but constantly have to keep reminding myself wait for the Mavic 3. It's a bit of an addiction.
I will admit that I did end up getting a MA2 a couple weeks back and have not regretted it at all. The 240fps and 4k 60 was a worthwhile justification. I don't trust the ActiveTrack features enough to use those yet.

I figure when the Mavic 3 eventually hits the market, I can always sell my MA2 if I decide to update. I also figure the MA2 may be good enough I won't want to spend double the dollars to get a Mavic 3, regardless of how amazing it is. Ah who I am kidding, I'll have to revisit this comment in a year to see if I am posting how much I love my Mavic 3.

Reactions: 72evenant
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS