DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I charge the battery without the hub?

So, it’s not actually a bag- I thought it was a messenger style bag- which to me would have some utility.

It’s actually a backpack with no option to be used as a messenger bag. WTF

The DJI 65w charger will take over an hour to charge a battery.

So if you only have two batteries, you will still be waiting another 30+ minutes after the second flight for the first battery to finish charging. If you want continuous flights, you will need at least three batteries - thus the combo packages with three batteries and the hub.

This was my planned workflow. I own 2 batteries. I deplete one. When flying with the second, I will be able to charge the first one for at least 35 mins(flight time of 2nd). So theoretically I could continuously get 35 + 35 + ~15 mins of flight time at one place. But if the charging first depleted battery is only possible in the drone, then I have no way to charge the first battery when flying the second.

I think anyone using more than one battery has the hub? 🤷‍♂️

I want a cable that directly connects the power brick to the battery like my MA1. Or a usb C to battery port converter 😓

So, it’s not actually a bag- I thought it was a messenger style bag- which to me would have some utility.

What are you talking about? Of course it can be used messenger style. There are two sets of straps hidden in the bag. One for using it like a backpack and another for using it over the shoulder.

The DJI 65w charger will take over an hour to charge a battery.

So if you only have two batteries, you will still be waiting another 30+ minutes after the second flight for the first battery to finish charging. If you want continuous flights, you will need at least three batteries - thus the combo packages with three batteries and the hub.
I am aware of that. I dont need continuous flights. I will be shooting once about 30-45 mins in a single spot. So I can wait another 30 mins to charge the first battery back

I am aware of that. I dont need continuous flights. I will be shooting once about 30-45 mins in a single spot. So I can wait another 30 mins to charge the first battery back

I am curious to know how you intend to charge the empty battery, while flying with the other? Unless you stay in a hotel, you don't really get the luxury to charge it with a wall charger.

If you are driving, then a car charger is the obvious solution.

If you are on the move by other means, then you need a power bank. That's where the problem comes.

The true capacity of a typical 26,800mAh power bank, the largest you can carry on a flight, is 96.48Wh. FAA limit is 100Wh, but very few power bank reach that limit.

The true capacity of a Mavic 3 battery is 77Wh.

Now if you take the power loss and conversion efficiency into consideration, even a large, 26,800mAh power bank could only give Mavic 3 battery one charge.

A power bank of such capacity, with the support for 65W USB PD charging, typically weighs at 400-500g. The weight of Mavic 3 battery is 335g. Yes the power bank is cheaper than Mavic 3 battery, but you are really trading the cost for extra weight on the road.

I am curious to know how you intend to charge the empty battery, while flying with the other? Unless you stay in a hotel, you don't really get the luxury to charge it with a wall charger.

If you are driving, then a car charger is the obvious solution.

If you are on the move by other means, then you need a power bank. That's where the problem comes.

The true capacity of a typical 26,800mAh power bank, the largest you can carry on a flight, is 96.48Wh. FAA limit is 100Wh, but very few power bank reach that limit.

The true capacity of a Mavic 3 battery is 77Wh.

Now if you take the power loss and conversion efficiency into consideration, even a large, 26,800mAh power bank could only give Mavic 3 battery one charge.

A power bank of such capacity, with the support for 65W USB PD charging, typically weighs at 400-500g. The weight of Mavic 3 battery is 335g. Yes the power bank is cheaper than Mavic 3 battery, but you are really trading the cost for extra weight on the road.
I dont fly several hours at a stretch. I am mostly flying near by and I have a 400Wh power bank for local uses. I dont see what is the problem with a car charger during travel.

Not sure what you think of my drone flying style lol :D
I have lived with 3 15min battery on all my trips on my MA1

I dont fly several hours at a stretch. I am mostly flying near by and I have a 400Wh power bank for local uses. I dont see what is the problem with a car charger during travel.

Not sure what you think of my drone flying style lol :D
I have lived with 3 15min battery on all my trips on my MA1

There is no problem with a car charger if you are driving on the road. In fact it is a perfect solution for that scenario.

That 400Wh power supply (which weighs over 12 pounds, can no longer be called "power bank") is a perfect fit for your particular usage scenario, since you don't really move around.

For other people who need to constantly on the move (without driving), they don't have many options, other than carrying more batteries.

There is no problem with a car charger if you are driving on the road. In fact it is a perfect solution for that scenario.

That 400Wh power supply (which weighs over 12 pounds, can no longer be called "power bank") is a perfect fit for your particular usage scenario, since you don't really move around.

For other people who need to constantly on the move (without driving), they don't have many options, other than carrying more batteries.
Yeah agreed. Again the point of this post is that, without the hub, there is no way to charge my second battery when I am flying with the first. The charger port does not connect directly to the battery unlike older drones

So you didn't find the shoulder strap that is in the back pocket, the one with the zip on either end? The strap isn't loose it is stitched into the bag.

Yeah agreed. Again the point of this post is that, without the hub, there is no way to charge my second battery when I am flying with the first. The charger port does not connect directly to the battery unlike older drones

It is most likely some 3rd party manufacturer ship a USB-C to Mavic 3 battery port adapter in the future. I am also waiting for the availability of such accessory.

Yes, that deliberate change sucks. The only solution now is the $89 hub which is available separately from the Combo kit and now in stock most places. I finally received mine this week. Just make sure you plug in the thin orange tipped 65W output USB-C cable from the charger, instead of the thicker remote charging USB-C cable or the batteries in the hub will take 6 hours each to charge!

Reactions: jonatious
What are you talking about? Of course it can be used messenger style. There are two sets of straps hidden in the bag. One for using it like a backpack and another for using it over the shoulder.
I had the same issue until I watched a video and saw where they were hiding the straps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929