DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I do FPV (with a twist).

Everso

Reactions
Hi all,

I am looking at attaching some FPV goggles to my Mini 2 ... but with a slight twist. I have seen quite a few threads on how to do this but I do not want to fly the Mini while wearing the goggles - I want them for a "fly along" ... think wife/friend etc. The idea is I have my normal setup and fly it with the remote/screen then via some connection share this to a pair of FPV goggles and let some one watch without any controls or responsibility for flying the drone.

My current setup is stock Mini2 with DJI app and using a Lenovo Tab A or Redmi Note to fly with. Equipment I have available is Samsung Gear VR (using a Samsung S7) and also an Oculus Quest 2. I will also be happy to buy one of those standard VR headsets that you put any old phone in should that be the way to go. Ideally I want to keep using the standard DJI app but again would change if that was needed. I would prefer something wireless but if it needs to be tethered (not sure where it would plug in to the table as the port is used to connect to the remote) so be it.

Anyone got any ideas how I could do this?

Reactions: JackL
Must be 100 ways for Android to mirror the screen between devices I believe. My tablet is slow so I haven;t tried it but I wager it would work. I'm not testing it three miles over the ocean though so I hope you come up with a good stable solution I can use!!

Must be 100 ways for Android to mirror the screen between devices I believe. My tablet is slow so I haven;t tried it but I wager it would work. I'm not testing it three miles over the ocean though so I hope you come up with a good stable solution I can use!!

You would think ... but no. There are indeed well over 100 way to mirror your GearVR screen to another device (like a smart TV) ... But the other way round (from an android screen TO the gear VR) - I have not been able to find one. Hence asking the good people here :).

Your are indeed right about being "up in the sky" and the importance of stability. I am thinking that by keeping control of the drone with the tablet and just streaming a "watch only" to the VR headset this will keep things as stable as they are now. I also figure if there are any glitches I can quickly switch into airplane mode (now there's an appropriate use of the term) and drop the headset leaving just a fairly stock setup.

Reactions: JackL
While not today, there is hope on the horizon. It is believed that DJI will release the SDK for the Mini2 around September. At that point Litchi and DroneVR and others will be able to include the Mini2 as one of the supported drones. Then you shoudl be able to fly in the VR mode and hopefully with mirrored viewing as well as we can with a Mavic 2.

Reactions: Kilrah
1. Install and setup Chromecast on TV.
2. Cast screen of device used for flight to Chromecast device.
3. Launch flight application.

Hi all,

I am looking at attaching some FPV goggles to my Mini 2 ... but with a slight twist. I have seen quite a few threads on how to do this but I do not want to fly the Mini while wearing the goggles - I want them for a "fly along" ... think wife/friend etc. The idea is I have my normal setup and fly it with the remote/screen then via some connection share this to a pair of FPV goggles and let some one watch without any controls or responsibility for flying the drone.

My current setup is stock Mini2 with DJI app and using a Lenovo Tab A or Redmi Note to fly with. Equipment I have available is Samsung Gear VR (using a Samsung S7) and also an Oculus Quest 2. I will also be happy to buy one of those standard VR headsets that you put any old phone in should that be the way to go. Ideally I want to keep using the standard DJI app but again would change if that was needed. I would prefer something wireless but if it needs to be tethered (not sure where it would plug in to the table as the port is used to connect to the remote) so be it.

Anyone got any ideas how I could do this?
I have a cheap Chinese tablet with HDMI out, along with DJI racing goggles. I can use the tablet while others watch with the goggles.

Its more expensive than you were asking, but works AMAZING!

I have a cheap Chinese tablet with HDMI out
Would you mind sharing which cheap Chinese tablet that is? I'll buy one.

With my first drone (P3P) I had an Nvidia Shield K1 with mini-HDMI out. The screen died so I bought another 8" tablet, but couldn't find one with HDMI out.

And most Chinese tablets that have it are either too slow to run the DJI apps correctly or not 64-bit so not able to run Fly at all, so having a source for a known good one would be useful indeed.

I have white DJI goggles and a Mini 2. Chromecast is not cutting it for me.

I am trying to find a small android streaming box to run DJI FLY, mounted to the goggles, and HDMI connected to the goggles. From what I understand the Processor must be 64-bit as well as the OS. I am currently wanting to try the $30 ONN streaming box from walmart.

I have currently given up on trying to find a decent 64-bit android tablet with an HDMI port.

Reactions: Kilrah
Would you mind sharing which cheap Chinese tablet that is? I'll buy one.

With my first drone (P3P) I had an Nvidia Shield K1 with mini-HDMI out. The screen died so I bought another 8" tablet, but couldn't find one with HDMI out.

Sorry I missed this message.

Its a Teclast M89 8". It works great with the Mini 2, Air 1, and Phantom 3 Pro. With no lag at all. I have not tried it with any other drones.

I bought it form Bangood for ~100$.

Reactions: umanbean
Reactions: umanbean
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54