DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with drone shyness?

I always bring my spotter, which keeps eyes off of me.

images

I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

How do you get over the not wanting any kind of attention part?

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.
Hello shadow3467, I know the problem from my own experience. As a commercial drone pilot since over 6 years now, however, I often have to fly in places where people are. Even in the middle of the city. At the beginning it was sometimes a pretty stupid feeling for me too. The most important thing is to know the laws and rules well. So if questions come from passers-by, you should be able to answer them confidently and nicely. The second thing that helped me a lot was and still is to dress appropriately and, ideally, to mark the take-off and landing sites accordingly. It's useful to get traffic cones, lay out a drone landing pad, and not give the impression that you're doing something SECRETLY. Because once this impression is created, people become suspicious. Dressed and labeled appropriately - and if it's a simple safety vest you're wearing - the impression isn't even given. If you are nice to the people who then ask or talk to you, you will find out that these people are also very nice to you and are even interested in the great technology. Finally, it is also helpful to take a friend with you. On the one hand, this friend can be useful as a additional "spotter" for you and, on the other hand, it gives you more self-confidence because you´re not alone then. When you added a bit more good and beautiful experiences, it will be much easier to be a great and confident pilot who will enjoy flying. I wish you lots of fun flying and always happy landings!
Joe

Reactions: old man mavic
Some of you people are creating a problem for other quad-pilots.

Doing something LEGAL and "hiding" creates SUSPICION. ( Stigmatism )

I do with my quad what i bought it to do (whenever DJI APP isn't being crappy), and i have never had a negative interaction.

Get out the closet.

Rights: Use em or lose em.

Attachments

• 20220605_131849-01.jpeg
    20220605_131849-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
fly it naked, that way no one will look @ the drone!
There’s a great guy on the Forum called Tentoes and he goes everywhere barefoot (hence his Forum name) and just dungarees and doesn’t ever report any problems. Not advocating that garb for all but sure we can wear whatever we want.

You could take a look at the film Breathless, seemingly bootlegged in on the streets of Paris and just pretend you are Jean Luc-Godard. Or you could just be like me and stay as far away from spectators as possible. Landing is always easy. Walk away to a quiet spot, bring the drone down to an open spot, walk up, plop it into your hand and walk away.
Everyone has their own idea of whose rights are being violated. I don't need a 911 call.

Just SEND IT!!! As long as you are following all rules are have adequate certification and registration nobody has any right to tell you you cannot fly. I actually love flying in public and with friends, that’s basically what I live for. I also love doing rc vehicle things in public, just makes me feel BAD ***. To me, nothing feels better than being I public with an audience and making perfect landings. I think that is why I have lost 1,400 flight miles now.
Happy public flying!

Reactions: Jam0ne
I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.
You gave me an idea I hadn't even thought about in the last two months: Just go out front and fly at 40 feet down the middle of the street. Should make for some interesting footage, and I doubt anyone would notice. Just have to avoid the over-grown tree lawn Chinese Elms. So far the most creative I been is to inspect my roof. Looks great for being 40 years old. I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Some of you people are creating a problem for other quad-pilots.

Doing something LEGAL and "hiding" creates SUSPICION. ( Stigmatism )

I do with my quad what i bought it to do (whenever DJI APP isn't being crappy), and i have never had a negative interaction.

Get out the closet.

Rights: Use em or lose em.
I agree with this. I setup shop with my chair pretty much wherever I want that's legal or at least not explicitly forbidden. You have to deal with people asking the typical questions (does it have a camera on it? How far will it go? How much was it? Are you doing it for a reason?). But there are solutions to that as well if you're around people (I love more rural places, but I have the advantage of living in an area that is exurban). Check these out...FAA Drone vest from Amazon, and a custom print hat with my reg # on it. Obviously one can't impersonate personnel, which is not my intention. But between the vest and the hat, it's doubtful most random Karens won't have the balls to say anything.

IMG_5819.jpeg IMG_5818.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: fuzzball and Jam0ne
I guess the first year or so there was a shyness mostly from unfamiliarity and such with equipment, not so much from people. But it helped that I do photography/videography freelance, which as a result one of the biggest aid is how you carry yourself, appearance of confidence, in other words looking like you belong there. If you act skittish/uncertain you invite a lot of scrutiny, which can be just as true for drone flying as it does for street photography or photojournalism.

I've also found that just being approachable helps a lot too, often times if I have someone who is looking a bit concerned at my drone and such I'll usually just wave em over, be like oh hey yea that's me. Being open invites more curiosity than it it invites animosity and I'm the type that likes to teach a bit, but I'll be up front that I need to keep my attention on the drone and to give me a moment to bring it in closer before getting too involved in a conversation or show-n-tell. From the more geeky curiosities I'll get questions like "how far", "how high", etc. And I usually phrase it in such a way that I understand the regulations, like "I'm sure it could reach 1000 feet, legally I have to keep it under 400ft above ground level, and within my sight".

If you're not a very sociable person, can mainly leave it at something like "I don't mean to be rude but I need to keep my attention on my aircraft".
But add, at the end, that you'll be happy to answer all their questions, once you have safely landed and shut it down.

Reactions: karlblessing
^^That's like the guy who posts a pic of his scantily-clad gf in the back of their Sprinter Van. "...and there you are futzing with your camera."

I've just ordered a Ghillie Suit

51WoqZpHs1L._AC_SR480,600_.jpg

Reactions: Torque
Hello shadow3467, I know the problem from my own experience. As a commercial drone pilot since over 6 years now, however, I often have to fly in places where people are. Even in the middle of the city. At the beginning it was sometimes a pretty stupid feeling for me too. The most important thing is to know the laws and rules well. So if questions come from passers-by, you should be able to answer them confidently and nicely. The second thing that helped me a lot was and still is to dress appropriately and, ideally, to mark the take-off and landing sites accordingly. It's useful to get traffic cones, lay out a drone landing pad, and not give the impression that you're doing something SECRETLY. Because once this impression is created, people become suspicious. Dressed and labeled appropriately - and if it's a simple safety vest you're wearing - the impression isn't even given. If you are nice to the people who then ask or talk to you, you will find out that these people are also very nice to you and are even interested in the great technology. Finally, it is also helpful to take a friend with you. On the one hand, this friend can be useful as a additional "spotter" for you and, on the other hand, it gives you more self-confidence because you´re not alone then. When you added a bit more good and beautiful experiences, it will be much easier to be a great and confident pilot who will enjoy flying. I wish you lots of fun flying and always happy landings!
Joe

Exactly.

I have the solution to not wanting to answer everyone’s drone questions…
You can get them lots of places and there are a million versions but same idea

Attachments

• 9CC9065B-A411-435E-973B-01B626B88BDA.png
    9CC9065B-A411-435E-973B-01B626B88BDA.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Love
Reactions: Torque and Yaros

Canada is a might big Country, take a tip from a Canadian YouTuber "Captain Drone". He flies early and I guess it is usually on a weekday.

I personally try to find a nice quiet area of a park to fly. I seldom find flying on a weekend much fun. When I'm at home and zooming the neighborhood, I stay above 200 feet and I can still hear the "buzz…" I've noticed some of my neighbors looking up, but at that height, it's very hard to see my Mini 2.

Recently, at the "quiet area" of my favorite park, a "Ken and Karen" were walking their dog without a leash" (not a dog park in sight…), and they decided to come in my direction. I saw that the dog had tuned into the buzz of my Mini 2, so I quickly dropped to about 100 feet and went for a bit of a "long run" deep into the park and sure enough the dog went running after it. At about 500 feet distance, I quickly rose to over 300 feet and raced back to me. Those people had gone off a ways screaming for the dog to return. I quickly landed and put my drone into my car. As I was finished packing up, they finally got their dog on a leash and they came over and asked why I was packing up.

I told them, I cannot trust their dog. Believe it or not, they said, "He just wanted to see what you were doing."

I told them, what I was doing was photographing them chasing their unleashed dog and I called 911 and reported a possible dangerous dog running loose in the park.

And as I got in my car, I told them, that if they were still here when the police show up, you will have some explaining to do, and I left…

I love dogs, but I really dislike owners who never trained their dogs and believe that their dogs have as much right to run free as the children using the park.

Post some personal data, not too personal, like "I live in the suburbs of Northwest Montreal and I'm looking for a fun and safe place to fly my drone…" And some of the Canadian members might be able to supply a few recommendations…

Finally, check out the "Member's Map" and maybe a member lives near you and you and PM (Personal Message) them.

Good Luck.

• Haha
Reactions: Skyryder
shadow3467 drone shyness is a real thing. I experience it for many reasons. Here's how I combat it:

For me . . . the more official I look the more comfortable I feel. Let's face it . . . the earth is populated and people will show up. Knowing the law and the CFRs gives you a little more feeling of authority.

I keep my flight bag near me. EVERYTHING is in there. If people start to take notice or move closer, I pull out my flight plan, sectional chart of the mission area and an airspace chart (with all the pretty shapes and colors). I hold it up like a doctor examining an x-ray 🤣!! That usually pushes my activities waaaay over their heads.

Below is what I carry on every flight . . . everything (labeled) is laminated or slipped into vinyl sheet protectors. I realize you are in Canada so laws are different.

View attachment 149515 View attachment 149514 View attachment 149516 View attachment 149518 View attachment 149521
Very impressive! I love the “FAA Certified Remote Pilot” label. Where did you get that?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming