DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys deal with birds?

i would recommended have a small survey before take off and why trouble birds during flight, that could be one reason sometimes they would attack drones, may be someone before u took a fight and teased few birds around. The sound also could be reason for birds to take to defence and attack the drone, best is to look before flying.

I had this unexpected encounter in southern NSW (AUS) with a flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. I'm not sure if the Mavic was at risk but it did get some interesting images. Over the next few days they got used to it and didn't bother it further.

The video can be found here:
PW: CuriousCockies

Attachments

• Curious Cockies.jpg
    Curious Cockies.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 73
While waiting for my mavic to be delivered I devised a plan that if I encountered a bird I would climb, turn and then switch to sports mode and RTH.

I've had a few scares but no contact. No problem with magpies, crows or plovers (masked lapwing). The later saved me on my first over river flight. I had flown near plovers at my local sports fields with no problem. On my flight over the river I launched about 20m from a pair and had been flying around on my second battery when my heart started beating a lot faster.

Flying into the afternoon sun I was mostly looking at the camera when the plovers took off screeching and heading straight towards my mavic 300m away. I look at my mavic and spot a large 1m wing span bird of prey approaching my little mavic and start a slow distant circle. I execute my escape plan by descending and flying away from my location. Obviously I need more practice on executing my escape plan.

After a few seconds running away I switch to sports mode, climb and fly a fast curved path back whilst my plover friends drive the visitor away.

A few months later I was flying off a headland heading towards a pod of dolphins I could see, when my spotter saw 3 small hawks taking an unhealthy interest. One landed in the tree directly overlooking my mavic after I made a very fast approach and landing. I never got a photo of the dolphins.

I was flying over the Ocean, and I was looking at the controller (not the drone), and my screen shook like the drone jerked. But then everything was normal. It took me awhile to find the drone in the sky, but everything was normal. Anyway, flew for another 10 minutes. I bring the drone back, and I notice there is literally a talon mark at least na inch long across the entire battery. Just one scratch right through the battery. Can you believe it? Somehow it missed the propellers. No real damage to the battery just the scratch. Isn't that wild? Lucky.

Watch for Hawks they will attack the drone lol

I don't know how to avoid them besides some quick flying hahah
Exactly This past weekend I went over to a friends house to help teach his son some tips with his P3S and I took my MP up and 3 hawks popped up and I booked it and the one just following me so I landed as fast as I could.

Had a great hawk incident the other day, 2 where flying around but left the area so I took my Spark up (I know it's a Mavic forum [emoji5]) within 2 minutes the juvenile hawk made a B-line from behind the house, little prick was hiding and waiting for me to get in the air! As soon as I was at altitude he attacked and I mean attacked! Only. Course of action was left stick 100% up and out climb the prick. Spent a good 2 minutes trying to out maneuver him in the air it's amazing how they can twist and turn to get those talons in the right spot. Finally Gained enough distance to where I could shoot down and land. Happy I didn't have the Mavic Pro up then as I think he would have got me since the mavic is a bigger target.
Also be careful as they will attack while the Drone is on the ground if they follow it down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi