DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you hibernate DJI Intelligent batteries.

Don't know, it's from here.
I have asked the DJI Support team, see what they say and I'll follow that. If the battery gets screwed up, I can go back to them.
Everybody seems to have their own ideas on this.
But this guy Ahmed mentioned there that is a mechanical engineer by profession and a drone enthusiast since he was in grad school isn't in any way connected with DJI ... it's again just another bloke that have got it wrong about LiPo batteries.

DJI's batteries aren't that different than other similar batteries to a degree that decades of RC LiPo battery care can be thrown out the window ... DJI have just built in some safety measures into the battery so they probably will last the warranty period with moderate use ... this to cut their losses.

Don't know, it's from here.
I have asked the DJI Support team, see what they say and I'll follow that. If the battery gets screwed up, I can go back to them.
Everybody seems to have their own ideas on this.

Hibernation has different uses, some call it the auto discharged value, I've always read it as the 'yet to be woken up
stage that most new drone batteries come to us from the factory.

I'm not 100% sure they EVER go back into that new factory state, or enter any long term safe hibernation mode.

If they are left for say 1 year, they would probably be down quite low, maybe 30 - 40% ?
If left 2 years, they may drop top 0%, and that would likely be the end of your battery, it then could be 'bricked', OR it may 'wake up' when put on a charger . . . it could still be permanently damaged or have reduced performance, cell deviations.

There have been many post here and other forums about 'bricked' batteries, and how some have been revived, others not.

I have a brand new Mavic 2 battery, still in factory hibernation, manufactured in June 2021.
How long can i leave it in this state (never charged yet)? ,as i have no use for it at the moment.

I have a brand new Mavic 2 battery, still in factory hibernation, manufactured in June 2021.
How long can i leave it in this state (never charged yet)? ,as i have no use for it at the moment.
Have never seen any good answer to that ... but have on the other hand seen batteries that was dead when they was put on the charger to be woken up ...

Batteries are perishable goods ... the moment they are manufactured they start to tick down to death. A battery that is brought out of the DJI hibernation isn't empty, it's on storage voltage, most batteries I've had laying around in hibernation have started up with 1 solid LED + 1 blinking but very soon on the charger gone to 2 solid LED's ... indicating 50%. In this state they can be stored a very long time.

But then the warranty ... if you have this battery in hibernation, it's been there for 2 years & you decide to start using it ... and it wont start up ... either died along the storage time or was actually DOA. So to prevent this & being able to claim warranty it's perhaps a good idea to start them up when the warranty still is active.

RIGHT, FROM THE HORSES MOUTH!
Received this reply from DJI Support so as far as I'm concerned this is what I'll do:

If an Intelligent Battery has been stored for a long period without being charged or discharged, its protection board cannot balance the battery's cells sufficiently to avoid excessive voltage difference. When the voltage difference exceeds the safe threshold, the battery's cells are damaged.

We recommend that you discharge the battery to between 40% to 65% and store it in a cool, dry space (at an ambient temperature of 22°C to 28°C) when it is going to be idle for more than ten days. Check the battery’s power every three months and fully charge and discharge it at least once. Please perform this routine maintenance to keep your battery healthy.

A much better answer than what you got from that article made by that Ahmed ... nearly all as what we have said through out this thread ... they are sticking with their excessively long idle time of 10 days & recommend a voltage below what the self discharge do for a Mini SE though ... odd & confusing. So in short they them self say that the auto discharge shouldn't be relayed on for long term storage.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thanks Slup, good point about the warrantee. Bought it because they're going to get scarce soon, but spend most of my time flying the fpv, so one battery functioning on the Mavic 2 is all i need for now.
Seems like you're forced to fly your drones regularly.. what a problem!

Reactions: slup
When did you buy it, never mind the manufacture date? As has been said, activate it within the warranty period, you can always put it back into hibernation if you're not going to use it for a while.
Mine are going to idle for at least a couple of months (unless I sell the SE before I go away) so I'll follow DJI instructions and run them down to 50%.

Oh, just for the record, the DJI Mini SE and the Mini 2 batteries are identical!

...you can always put it back into hibernation if you're not going to use it for a while.
Maybe you're mixing up putting a battery at storage voltage (about 50%) ... and hibernation?

The state you get them when they are new & not charged for the first time is hibernation ... meaning that the BMS chip is deactivated & no LEDS will light up when pushing the button. The battery goes out of that hibernation when charged for the first time ... & can't to my knowledge, be put back into that state without severely over discharge & damage the battery & by that make the BMS chip shut off.

Hoping to see an official, definitive guide on the proper care and maintenance of the various DJI batteries.
Ummm... Since DJI makes more money on selling batteries that fail (due solely to the purposeful lack of correct information???) before they really should I guess I'm dreaming for a proper, correct guide.
Or maybe I'm wrong.

Click on the link I posted in #32 above............official DJI information!

The DJI Mini SE AND Mini 2 batteries are "Lithium Iron Polymer" according to the labels on them, so the same as all the other DJI batteries???
MINI 2.jpg

Last edited:
According to the values found on this label the battery must be a 2S 2250mAh LiHV (lithium polymer high voltage) battery pack. I derive this from the full charge voltage of 8.8V. Most LiHV cells are at full charge at 4.35V, but I am seeing this pushed to 4.4V more often in the last two years.

I discharged 3 Mavic 2 batteries to 65% using a small auto discharge device I purchased. They were left for 26 months without use. When I went to use them they were still at 65% charge. One battery without recharging was used in the drone and worked perfectly. The others I recharged to 100% before using. So far all working as they should.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan