DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you like to learn to fly drones?

Like many others, YouTube seemed to be the place to at least start. Before purchasing my first UAV (Inspire 1) I was "lucky enough" to have a full hands-on demo from a sales rep, which was certainly more than enough to get me hooked. Turned out though the demo' flying probably broke just about every rule in the book - at least the CAA's book anyway, but that is another story!
Where I live more than 60% of all the land is incorporated into one of several different national parks, which is great for the tourists who carry around their DSLR camera or cell phone to snap away at the things they can see, but almost impossible for the prosumer UAV owner who wants to do something a bit different in terms of photography, without meeting restrictive conditions, paying some pretty hefty fees and carrying insurance which seems to command eye watering rates.
My thinking is that often the best way to beat "City Hall" is to play the game their way, so I went through the process of watching hours of DJI related tutorials on YouTube before actually purchasing online packages related to both flying a UAV and aerial photography. Again, sort of working by the book, I planned a specific self-learning program covering about 30 hours total of incremental flying skills, which I do not want to claim has made me an expert UAV pilot, but which has certainly given me the confidence to better understand when it is okay to fly safely, and how to perform manoeuvres like a "tactical" type landing if the UAV develops a problem or some feathered UAV wants to get into a dog fight with my "bird" - the outcome of which would probably end badly for bird and machine. Oh! Occasionally I also hoped I could learn to take some fairly acceptable photos.
That's the way I have learnt to fly; it's what works for me. I do have some admiration though for those would be pilots who seem to possess enough confidence in the own abilities to "push the stick forward" and take off, literally out of the box.
I do wonder how many have crashed and burned adopting this method of "flying lessons" !! o_Oo_O

Last edited:
I was already an experienced videographer - and photographer. Wanted to spice it up with drone/areal photography:
- bought a very cheap little drone ($50) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life in a tree.
- bought one more very cheap little drone ($80) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life smack into a barn wall.
- bought a cheap little drone ($100) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life in the overhang of a bridge. This time though, it survived more then 10-15 flights.
- bought a little yet OK advanced GPS drone ($500 - a Youneec Breeze) - Flew and started learning drone photography (It actually has a very nice camera). Aided by YOUTUBE videos and learning from bad mistakes my own as well as others.
- Got the certificate ( req in Denmark for bigger drones). Also learned a lot by doing so.
- sold The Youneec Breeze and bought my current M2P.
Still learning but also enjoying ;-)

I too had several pieces of crap cheap drones...Like you,mine lasted for a very short while and $ in the garbage...I too had enough with the cheap stuff and got QUALITY...I have flown a little more than a dozen times (i live in NYC) and it is difficult to fly here...BUT i do and i never looked back...The Picture and Movie aspects of the copter is not as important to me but the shots and movies i take are impressive...2 days ago i flew 400 ft UP...I was able to see ALL of NYC...The Manhattan skyline...all of the neighborhoods of Brooklyn + Queens and best of all..I saw the Atlantic ocean...about 1o miles from me and i saw the beaches and the roadways leading to it...i am hooked...looking forward to this weekend and to be in the mountains of UPSTATE NY where there are endless opportunities yo fly in huge OPEN spaces and the nature within..best of luck to you...Martin

I was already an experienced videographer - and photographer. Wanted to spice it up with drone/areal photography:
- bought a very cheap little drone ($50) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life in a tree.
- bought one more very cheap little drone ($80) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life smack into a barn wall.
- bought a cheap little drone ($100) - Flew it to pieces and ended it's miserable life in the overhang of a bridge. This time though, it survived more then 10-15 flights.
- bought a little yet OK advanced GPS drone ($500 - a Youneec Breeze) - Flew and started learning drone photography (It actually has a very nice camera). Aided by YOUTUBE videos and learning from bad mistakes my own as well as others.
- Got the certificate ( req in Denmark for bigger drones). Also learned a lot by doing so.
- sold The Youneec Breeze and bought my current M2P.
Still learning but also enjoying ;-)
Enjoyed your post. Certificated flying is not mandatory in NZ, yet. But having that piece of paper certainly opens up many new, and legal, opportunities to fly here. I have already enrolled in the next available course in March 2019 Personally, I hope it will be mandatory and that it will happen soon!

Reactions: pbj_dk
I got suckered into some Kickstarter campaign way back when for the ‘MicroDrone’. The founder had these regular updates on going to China, coordinating manufacturing, etc. By the time they delivered, there were dozens of models in the marketplace. The first flight, a light breeze took it and I never found it. Predictable, I guess. The early cheap drones were such a waste of money. They’ve come a long way, thank God.

As a videographer, it’s all about the footage. Good subjects often necessitate travel. Your settings and flight control have to be right on. It’s a struggle. The flight modes on the M2 Pro handle some of the controls, but here’s a good YouTube on cinematic moves.

Last edited:
I need to get with someone, I do better if someone shows me how to do something rather than reading about it. But I'm kinda out in the boonies in N. Texas.

I need to get with someone, I do better if someone shows me how to do something rather than reading about it. But I'm kinda out in the boonies in N. Texas.
YouTube is the best opportunity to learn all the basics and get your camera/flight/gimbal settings right (critical). Also, get ND filters; 16/32/64. Don't get the 4/8/16 set... not enough, even at smaller apertures.

It was natural from years growing up playing Nintendo and PlayStation.

The DJI products have such great stability and so many nanny software you basically have to be an idiot to crash one.

Photography I carried over my DSLR days and a lot of getting a good picture is timing (light) and editing.

I have been wondering if anyone has recommendations for general drone courses primarily aimed at the best way to film shots with drones and similar, I've been looking on the likes of udemy or Lynda but unsure if the courses are worth the time and money.

I find youtube useful for specific information and I'm quite comfortable with the controls and settings on the Mavic but I'm often not happy with video sequences I take and often it's when mucking about I get shots I like. Hence I've been thinking it may be worth spending some time with a course and would be interested if anyone had specific recommendations. Most of the courses I've looked don't appear that worthwhile as they spend a far bit of time on setting up the drone or the technical side and tend to also spend a fair bit of time with the video editor which since it's usually Final Cut is of no interest to me either.

I have been wondering if anyone has recommendations for general drone courses primarily aimed at the best way to film shots with drones and similar, I've been looking on the likes of udemy or Lynda but unsure if the courses are worth the time and money.

I find youtube useful for specific information and I'm quite comfortable with the controls and settings on the Mavic but I'm often not happy with video sequences I take and often it's when mucking about I get shots I like. Hence I've been thinking it may be worth spending some time with a course and would be interested if anyone had specific recommendations. Most of the courses I've looked don't appear that worthwhile as they spend a far bit of time on setting up the drone or the technical side and tend to also spend a fair bit of time with the video editor which since it's usually Final Cut is of no interest to me either.

If you expect great things right out of the box you will be disappointed, most of the good drone videos and all good videos for that matter are made in Premier pro, just like most great photos you see are edited in Lightroom. I would suggest spending time learning how to use PP by watching youtube videos.

If you are not a strong photographer then I suggest starting this route first then go video, IMO video is 100x harder for me to do than a photograph, but its mostly because I am learning PP right now.

If you expect great things right out of the box you will be disappointed, most of the good drone videos and all good videos for that matter are made in Premier pro, just like most great photos you see are edited in Lightroom. I would suggest spending time learning how to use PP by watching youtube videos.

If you are not a strong photographer then I suggest starting this route first then go video, IMO video is 100x harder for me to do than a photograph, but its mostly because I am learning PP right now.

Sorry, I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm already very familiar with photo and video editing therefore a course which spends a good proportion of time on these is of no value to me. I've been flying a drone a couple of years now so I'm comfortable with the controls and how to use the features but not so much on how to fly the drone to get good video sequences from it.

Hi all. First post. I got a Mavic Pro for Christmas, haven’t opened the box yet! Trying to justify the cost in my mind first! I have been itching to get a drone for a long time. Anyhow, I’ve read the entire manual and found it very lacking in basic information. It is useful for some specific info, but written poorly. For example the section on Tripod mode. It tells you how to access that mode but nothing amount what tripod mode doe :) The manual does look good for reference what the various lights mean. Think I’ll print those pages to keep handy. Beyond the manual, looks like YouTube it the way to go.

I started out flying with another experienced pilot. Very fortunate to have a large city park with 100 acre open field nearby to practice new features.

The big leap for me was flying and not watching the bird 100% of the time and then being able to locate it using map view on the controller. I started by taking an observer who did watch the bird 100% of the time. After about a dozen flights I was confident going it alone.

Also, remember if you get confused during a flight, tale your hands of the joy sticks and the bird will hover so you can reorient yourself.

YouTube videos were great for how turn it on, preflight checklist and take off, but I think years of playing video games made flying it easy and intuitive for me right out of the box

At the risk of "doing Stewart Carroll out of making a living" there is a free subscription to his much of his work available on YouTube.
Search "Drone Film Guide". It may not all be "Master Class" material, but I am finding plenty of worth while tips and much to learn from the vid's he posts.
Happy New Year to all Mavic Pilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga