How do you like to learn to fly drones?

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
There are lots of resources on the Internet that help people fly DJI drones. Some of the most common resources include:
  • YouTube videos
  • Forums where you can get one-on-one help
  • News sites
  • Articles
  • Online courses
Thinking about all of the drone resources you’ve come across, which are your favorite? Which do you feel offer the most value when you’re in search of tips for learning how to fly your DJI drones?

before i purchased any of my UAVs i,like a lot of other people viewd you tube to see what the UAV had to offer and what the pitfalls of a particular models ownership might mean these videos are very good for getting advise but to me they are very often biased towards a particular product as if the reviewer is somehow being rewarded for there comments i guess it is not until you actually get your UAV that you really learn to fly it i joined this forum some time after i had been a UAV enthusiast and it was the best thing i could have done a mine of good information and advise from like minded people.

sorry i use the term UAV to me the word drone is what the media uses and it is mainly in the negative aspect of our hobby so i try not to use it if possible

Last edited:
For me YouTube is useful for learning about camera settings etc but to actually learn to fly just get out there and do it.

Same with the photography aspect. All the theory is useful background knowledge but you just have to shoot and shoot lots.

My first few flights were with an acquaintance. After that, watched YouTubes and practice practice practice. I try to fly pretty much every day, outside when I can and indoors when the weather is bad.

Tom's Techtime.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
before i purchased any of my UAVs...........................................
....................................sorry i use the term UAV to me the word drone is what the media uses and it is mainly in the negative aspect of our hobby so i try not to use it if possible

The CAA seem to have started calling them SUAs......they just like inventing new acronyms, I reckon they have a whole department dedicated to doing just that. (keeps a bunch of otherwise useless pen pushers off the streets)

Reactions: tuk183
There are lots of resources on the Internet that help people fly DJI drones. Some of the most common resources include:
  • YouTube videos
  • Forums where you can get one-on-one help
  • News sites
  • Articles
  • Online courses
Thinking about all of the drone resources you’ve come across, which are your favorite? Which do you feel offer the most value when you’re in search of tips for learning how to fly your DJI drones?

Mine has been a combination of watching hours and hours of YouTube videos, this forum, and just practicing.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
I am a computer software/network engineer, I also have built a couple of robots, so I just did a lot reading and read the instructions, on the controls, that came with my drones and started to fly. 3dr solo was my very first drone.

I live in Delaware and the University of Delaware, Professional and Continuing Studies has a program (link below) for learning to fly and prepare for the 107 exam. I took their Fundamentals of Flight course which is hands on. You will fly a Mavic 2 Pro, Inspire and Phantom 4 over two days. Besides learning how to handle the UAV, you learn about safely, weather, working in teams.
I found it very helpful, having never flow before. It gave me the confidence to buy a Mavic 2 Pro so I can practice my newly learned skills. I'm scheduled to take their Ground School which is the 107 prep class.
I now get more benefit from viewing the YouTube videos since I have a good foundation and frame of reference.
UD Prof & Cont Studies.

Reactions: NetDep and Watash48
My biggest help is the “search button” on this forum, before I ask a question I’ll search 1st. The net is loaded with so much information about our hobby so you’re not to far away from finding out your answers.;)

My first few flights were with an acquaintance. After that, watched YouTubes and practice practice practice. I try to fly pretty much every day, outside when I can and indoors when the weather is bad.
INDOORS ? How is that possible ? (i guess it seems that way to me,living in a NYC apartment)...i am sure i could have my Mavic hover and fly ever so slowly but actually FLY around..You must have some mighty open space digs...Woo Hoo !

INDOORS ? How is that possible ? (i guess it seems that way to me,living in a NYC apartment)...i am sure i could have my Mavic hover and fly ever so slowly but actually FLY around..You must have some mighty open space digs...Woo Hoo !

He might be flying a small drone (UAV) like this781DFA80-B08F-4377-84BE-116F0FC44F5A.jpeg indoors;)

Last edited:
You tube and this forum. A lot of good people on this site. Just reading the posts have helped me a lot.
Thank you...it is true...so much available and i have been learning from all available including like yourself and others who take the time to help..I am grateful for all i have learned...Thank You

Easy, prop guards on, obstacle avoidance off, loss of signal hover and RTH altitude a little less than the shortest ceiling. Make sure there's nothing light laying around where you're flying because the prop wash will blow it around or do what I do and go through the house picking stuff up that blew away.

Easy, prop guards on, obstacle avoidance off, loss of signal hover and RTH altitude a little less than the shortest ceiling. Make sure there's nothing light laying around where you're flying because the prop wash will blow it around or do what I do and go through the house picking stuff up that blew away.

Hey...i tried it when i first got my Mavic...uh,it wasn't pretty...i wasn't worried about my stuff...i was concerned with The DR...(MAVIC PRO)...says much about my place...CLUTTERED ?...That describes it best...Luckily i have a park a short walk from home...Thanks...Marty

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kento1328