DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does 10Km range qualify as VLOS?

They are so low, they seem to just suddenly appear from out of no where, just above the tree line. That should be considered reckless, by the FAA if you ask me.
Why? If they’re officially authorised to do it and properly trained, it’s definitely not reckless.

To fly one full circle around yourself, with drone ~1.5km away, you’ll need about 10km range.

There are circumstances/uses and areas where that much range is desirable.

Just noting, one can do a range test flying around in a circle. : P

Or back and forth. Less fun, I suppose and you have to multiply.

Or maybe that's just a distance flying test.

Just noting, one can do a range test flying around in a circle. : P

Or back and forth. Less fun, I suppose and you have to multiply.

Or maybe that's just a distance flying test.
Yes I do think those are two separate things.

That would be the difference between a range (i.e. distance) test and an endurance (i.e. flight time) test. In the USA (and most other countries) all of these distance tests are illegal. Also seems to be no real purpose to them. A pilot flies out 3 miles with a MM and then feels a sense of accomplishment like it was an act of physical endurance or athleticism. Anyone could do that, but some of us choose to follow the regulations and value the safety of others.

I would bet that 99% of drone pilots know about about the VLOS rules that apply in their respective countries. But the same percentage of pilots also fly their drone beyond VLOS as well, but probably won’t actually admit to that in this forum. Honestly..... how much fun is it and how limiting is it to only fly your drone as far away from you as you can see it?
Quite a lot of fun, actually ..... ????

The quoted range of a UAS should be considered as a quoted signal penetration statement. The longer the range, the further it can fly through radio interference, trees, glass, plastics and other objects that may partially block the operator's view of it. Example, compare 2 drones in a forest. A drone with a 3 mile range may only be able to penetrate the forest by 2000 feet, while a drone with a range of 1 mile, may only be able to penetrate the forest 500 ft. Unfortunately, drone manufacturers don't have a good way of telling the consumer how far a drone can go if it's blocked by certain types of objects, materials and their densities. So, they simply use range as a way to tell the consumer how well the signal penetrates interference. I wish there was another way to express drone signal penetration, but there really isn't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929