DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the FAA classify our drones? ("Model Aircraft"?)

AtomQ

Reactions
This is an insurance-related question. I asked my agent if my drone and associated liability were covered under my homeowners' policy. He sent me what the underwriters told him and here is an excerpt: "So it looks like it all depends on how the FAA classifies the drone. If it is classed as a model aircraft there would be no problem. ... If not titled as model aircraft would not be covered."

Can anyone tell me if the FAA classifies drones as "model aircraft"? It sounds right but I thought it would be a good idea to ask people with experience.

Thanks!

(I read this thread but it turned out to be something else)

My gut says the aircraft (your drone) is not titled, therefore it is a model aircraft by your companies definition. A titled aircraft is similar to a titled car. To sell an aircraft, you must have title to do so. With that comes all the other proof of ownership: certificate of origin, manufacturer statement of make and model, etc.

That said - I'd ask the insurance company to define what they mean by a titled aircraft. Since they use the term in their underwriting, that is their job, not the FAA's.

It's not the aircraft that is determined to be "model" or not. It's the use. Any UAS can be either a model aircraft or a "commercial" one.

If you're flying under 44809 (Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft), you are flying a recreational (model) aircraft. If you're not, then it's under 107 rules, and not recreational.

If that company actually uses the term "model aircraft" in their policy, they're asking for trouble. It should be changed to "recreational use".

You guys are all missing the most important aspect of the question. No drone I know of is a TITLED AIRCRAFT.

If you know of a drone that is a TITLED AIRCRAFT, please link it here.

You guys are all missing the most important aspect of the question. No drone I know of is a TITLED AIRCRAFT.

Drones are aircraft as per final decision in Pirker v. Huerta (11/14). NTSB Administrative Law Judge Geraghty found that UAS are aircraft. So it doesn't matter how they're "titled", they are aircraft. And being titled is irrelevant to the discussion anyway. The Underwriter was using the term "model aircraft" as defined by the FAA, no how it's titled per AFS-750. Two totally different discussions.

If that's true Vic, then where are our N numbers?

And to quote the OP:
If not titled as model aircraft

ps: I always presume words matter until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
If that's true Vic, then where are our N numbers?

And to quote the OP:

ps: I always presume words matter until proven otherwise.
You can use Part 47 and get an N number on your drones if you want. But the FAA figured out VERY early in the game that the shear number of drones would run the gamut of Part 47, so they developed Part 48 for Unmanned Aircraft. It's even titled "REGISTRATION AND MARKING REQUIREMENTS FOR SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT".

Having a N number doesn't define if it's an aircraft or not. We use FA numbers for Part 48.

And yes, words matter. Hence we are called aircraft.

I think this is just a case of interpretation of the word 'titled', when he (OP) quoted his agent in blue . . .

"So it looks like it all depends on how the FAA classifies the drone. If it is classed as a model aircraft there would be no problem. ... If not titled as model aircraft would not be covered."

. . . the word 'titled' is very likely to mean 'referred' to, or 'called' or 'classified' as opposed to actually having a title of ownership. The first sentence even says - ' it all depends on how the FAA 'classifies' the drone. As mentioned, the FAA Classifies drones as model aircraft.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
I think this is just a case of interpretation of the word 'titled', when he (OP) quoted his agent in blue . . .

. . . the word 'titled' is very likely to mean 'referred' to, or 'called' or 'classified' as opposed to actually having a title of ownership. The first sentence even says - ' it all depends on how the FAA 'classifies' the drone. As mentioned, the FAA Classifies drones as model aircraft.

The distinction isn't lost on me.

It's insurance - and the term needs to be clarified. And I'd only accept the written word in black and white, not the voice of agents or underwriters. I'd ask the agent for a copy of the policy and where in the policy or rider the coverage defines these things.

I'd expect the issue of being titled aircraft you fly (aka manned/unmanned/commercial) versus model/hobby/recreational aircraft would be similar to how insurance companies deal with titled cars you drive versus model/hobby cars. And yeah, it'd be great if the insurance used 14CFR47 or 14CFR48 or similar references -- but the FAA changes its wording weekly and the insurance companies can't have an annual policy using outdated references like that. E.g., that link to the FAA rule AFS-750 above is already stale and has been replaced.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair