DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the Mav do in the winter?

Spent the last two months using my Mavic to film mountain scapes up at 5000-7000m in the Tien Shen Mountain Range. The temps ranged from -10 to -40 degrees Celsius. The Mavic didn't appear to suffer any bad side effects apart from the occasional rotor speed warning when the wind gusted too much. The main thing was keeping my hands warm but I was using Outdoor Research ice climbing gloves and they all have touch screen compatibility. Very impressed with the Mavic for easy lightweight use at altitude and in cold conditions.

Here's a very fast edit,

Great footage!

We get cold here in upstate new York, but not THAT cold!!

Thanks for your message!

I live in Michigan. I find that my fingers are the limiting factor when flying in the winter.

I need fingertips exposed as the iPad doesn't work with gloves, and 20 minutes of not wearing gloves in 20 degree temps is generally enough for me.

They make "special" gloves that work with touch screens but I've never used them myself.
+1

Spent the last two months using my Mavic to film mountain scapes up at 5000-7000m in the Tien Shen Mountain Range. The temps ranged from -10 to -40 degrees Celsius. The Mavic didn't appear to suffer any bad side effects apart from the occasional rotor speed warning when the wind gusted too much. The main thing was keeping my hands warm but I was using Outdoor Research ice climbing gloves and they all have touch screen compatibility. Very impressed with the Mavic for easy lightweight use at altitude and in cold conditions.

Here's a very fast edit,

Nice! How do those gloves give you enough precision to touch the small buttons on the DJI Go4 app? How do you like them?

The gloves that work with devices are great, however there are occasions where it may not register. I’ve found the tighter the glove the more responsive the display, check out a company by the name of “HEAD”. Been with them for years and finally they dropped a much warmer winter/ski edition.

I live in Michigan. I find that my fingers are the limiting factor when flying in the winter.

I need fingertips exposed as the iPad doesn't work with gloves, and 20 minutes of not wearing gloves in 20 degree temps is generally enough for me.

They make "special" gloves that work with touch screens but I've never used them myself.
I'm also into my first winter droning season. We've had snow a couple of times at my house already.

I bought a pair of those nerdy gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off, hopefully to solve exactly that problem. I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

This canyon looks awesome in the snow, and I'm looking forward to getting some good footage!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest