DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far away can you see your Mini?

I'm curious, does it show or interfere with video or photography ??
Tim Riesner, with an extremely bright Firehouse Arc V strobe mounted on top of an Air 2S, I've seen no effects on photos or videos, even when flying at night. I mount the light on top for visibility by aircraft.

However, the top-mounted strobe is not visible from the ground in daylight, and only visible at night if there's haze or if the Air 2S is below treetop level. For visibility from the ground, I use a smaller strobe mounted to the underside of one of the rear motor struts. No effects on photos or videos from that either.

The stated purpose of the regulation is that you must be able to "see and avoid" other aircraft. There is no FPV or camera system approved by the FAA that will allow you to do that if you can't actually see the drone AND scan the area it's flying in.
Yes, I can understand that reasoning. I really don't like losing visual.contact with the drone while I'm flying, and I'm not one to try to do 5 mile range tests. But if I'm flying at legal altitude and in an approved zone the only other aircraft I'd seem to be likely to encounter are low-flying helicopters. That happened to me once, and I've gotten a few ADS-B alerts as well.

Thanks, that's why I couldn't see it, being out of stock.

That last one seems a different model, the reviews are not as good.

I've gone for the similar model from Ali Express, it's got a choice of colour. ?
It's arrived.

Very bright, I still have those dots you get when you close your eyes.

Don't think I'll use the blue lights though, don't want to get in trouble with impersonating the police. ?

Last edited:
Tim Riesner, with an extremely bright Firehouse Arc V strobe mounted on top of an Air 2S, I've seen no effects on photos or videos, even when flying at night. I mount the light on top for visibility by aircraft.

However, the top-mounted strobe is not visible from the ground in daylight, and only visible at night if there's haze or if the Air 2S is below treetop level. For visibility from the ground, I use a smaller strobe mounted to the underside of one of the rear motor struts. No effects on photos or videos from that either.
I have a firehouse arc V and blind myself trying to find the off button. Great strobe, very bright.

I don't think you will see the quad with the Amazon led light because if you see in the post and writeup of the LED it says only 1000 lumens and that's just not good enough Ten thousand yes but not 1000

It's arrived.

Very bright, I still have those dots you get when you close your eyes.

Don't think I'll use the blue lights though, don't want to get in trouble with impersonating the police. ?
After sunset, at least 1.2km, using magenta.

It also saved a lot of time finding it in a field when forced to land.

I have a firehouse arc V and blind myself trying to find the off button. Great strobe, very bright.
Put something over it, I have a different strobe but use my thumb, you can position the shield by feel to avoid looking at the strobe.

Hi, I just got the strobe mentioned at the start of the thread here in Germany for 20€. Thanks for the tip!
Because there was a question about the weight of the device: It weights 10.58 g including one pair of patches to fix it on the drone. My Mini 2 weights 239 g including 1 battery, adding the strobe it is just a bit below 250 g and everything is ok.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e