DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far away can you see your Mini?

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
Just wondering how far away can you see your MM2 with the unaided eye or without strobes? I know that weather conditions can make a difference, just a general distance. For me once I get to 500 feet or so I lose it, Just wondering if that is normal.

One reason I ask is that when I watch a video that is just flying or instructional, testing features, etc. that it is fairly easy to see that many (if not most) are way past what I can see my Mini at. These are not "hot doggers" but pilot are just trying to give out info, help other pilots or just showing some video.

6-700 feet sounds about right to me too.
And yes, you blink or look away, and you're unlikely to see it again!
So in the UK, we are supposed to maintain VLOS (Visible Line Of Sight).
That means the majority of flights (which are likley 1000 feet and more) are violating this rule.
Is it accepted VLOS for the tiny DJI MINI/2 is not really achievable for the majority of the flight?

I run with one of these on the under side, works well even in day light, £17 from Amazon uk. Keeps under the 250gr limit still, just. Lol.

Have you got a link for that on Amazon? Ta

Reactions: Donb1
I did some trials to see how far away I could see my Mini, and found that my limit was around 350m (1150ft) in clear conditions. Like others, if I looked away from it and then back I wouldn't be able to pick it out again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...=10w+drone+strobe+light&qid=1624868573&sr=8-6
just search for 10w drone strobe light if link not working. £16.99, do not look directly into the light as it is so bright.??View attachment 131352
Hi Donb1
I it certainly bright according to the reviews there.. one person said it took their Mini 2 over 250g weight.. is that correct in your experience?

I bought a Strobon and fitted it to the belly of mine you can still see the strobe light at or just below eye level but a fraction higher and it is really seen even in daylight. Mine with battery, strobe and camera protector removed comes in at 240g

Attachments

• full.JPG
    full.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 83
  • closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 240 gram.JPG
    240 gram.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 81
Hi Donb1
I it certainly bright according to the reviews there.. one person said it took their Mini 2 over 250g weight.. is that correct in your experience?

I bought a Strobon and fitted it to the belly of mine you can still see the strobe light at or just below eye level but a fraction higher and it is really seen even in daylight. Mine with battery, strobe and camera protector removed comes in at 240g

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
Oops, just on the 250grm. ?? I tend not to use it though if just flying around my property or the town, best when out in the countryside.

Last edited:
PS
I have weighed the Mini 2 before.. which is nearly always 239g so the 240 could not be right if Strobon say the LED is 3g.. LOL
did a weight test a few times again with the digital scales on a different surface and it comes in at 242 with a flicker to 243 on occasion.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

250 is ok isn't it?
Supposed to be under 250, mine is registered and I have the flyers license too just in case I get any bother from the police, not that I expect them to want to weigh it but who knows.mines dead 240 on the same scales without the strobe.

Just wondering how far away can you see your MM2 with the unaided eye or without strobes? I know that weather conditions can make a difference, just a general distance. For me once I get to 500 feet or so I lose it, Just wondering if that is normal.

One reason I ask is that when I watch a video that is just flying or instructional, testing features, etc. that it is fairly easy to see that many (if not most) are way past what I can see my Mini at. These are not "hot doggers" but pilot are just trying to give out info, help other pilots or just showing some video.
I'll be lucky to see it at 500 then I use my map.

Reactions: Grazuncle
Supposed to be under 250, mine is registered and I have the flyers license too just in case I get any bother from the police, not that I expect them to want to weigh it but who knows.mines dead 240 on the same scales without the strobe.
Just got a strobon standalone to use when around building etc just in case, not as bright as my bigger one but still works fine for me.??

Reactions: Grazuncle
You should consider placing the Light on top of the Mini 2 and not on the bottom.

# 1 You will Alert planes above, be less of a distraction in the Air and less likely to Snag the light and keep it effects out of the camera . So you get two benefits with 1 light . You can still spot your drone a very long distance.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

Reactions: Malcx
It wasn't a Mini but an Air 2. Two of us looking at it while I flew at 400'. We said when we lost eyes sight we would look at the screen to see how far it was. I was flying it towards a white cloud so it helped a little bit. The person with me lost it at 2500' I lost it it about 3000'

If it wasn't for the cloud I doubt we would have been able to go that far. I also have a slight advantage because I work on printers/copiers so I have been looking for slight imperfections in printouts for 30+ years. So a black spec on a white background, for me, is easy to pick out. :)

Now that I have some strobes I would like to test it out again.

My 80 year old eyes see it 600 feet away, my 13 year old grandson (obsever) is good for 1200’. I‘ve ordered a strobe for hopefully better distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998