DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How-FixIT Air 3 Disassembly & Reassembly Guide (Expansion Port?)

escline

Reactions
How-FitIT posted a great teardown video of the Air 3. During the disassembly, I noticed what looks like an expansion port under the top, back cover. Looks like it has two antenna connectors and a USB-C male connection for power/data.

Reactions: HowFixIT
This port gives access to install the DJI enhanced image transmission module.
What this module gives you:
1. Allows for DJI devices to connect to 4G networks to realize multiple functions such as networking, enhanced image transmission, and network RTK.
2. Realize the integrated installation of the module and for DJI Air 3 aircraft. You can insert the enhanced video transmission module directly into the body of for DJI Air 3 without additional installation kits to efficiently access the 4G network
3. Supports ASDIV (Transmitting Antenna Selection), with better performance and better handling of complex flight scenarios. An eSIM is included so it can be used without an additional card, and physical nano-SIM cards are also supported
4. The enhanced image transmission module can connect your for DJI equipment to the 4G network, provide you with high-speed and stable networking services, and realize enhanced image transmission, network RTK and other functions
5. On the basis of the original image transmission, it cooperates with the 4G network. If the original image transmission signal is blocked or interfered, the user can still control the drone with the help of the 4G network, reducing the chance of disconnection and effectively improving flight safety.

How does the DJI enhanced image transmission module look

Attachments

• DJI enhanced image transmission port.JPG
    DJI enhanced image transmission port.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • DJI enhanced image transmission module (1).jpg
    DJI enhanced image transmission module (1).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 28
  • DJI enhanced image transmission module (2).jpg
    DJI enhanced image transmission module (2).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: GadgetGuy and Krrr
How does the DJI enhanced image transmission module look
Cool. I imagine with the visual line of sight rules in the US where I'm located, these are not really advertised. But very interesting, indeed. Thanks for clarifying.

This port gives access to install the DJI enhanced image transmission module.
What this module gives you:
1. Allows for DJI devices to connect to 4G networks to realize multiple functions such as networking, enhanced image transmission, and network RTK.
2. Realize the integrated installation of the module and for DJI Air 3 aircraft. You can insert the enhanced video transmission module directly into the body of for DJI Air 3 without additional installation kits to efficiently access the 4G network
3. Supports ASDIV (Transmitting Antenna Selection), with better performance and better handling of complex flight scenarios. An eSIM is included so it can be used without an additional card, and physical nano-SIM cards are also supported
4. The enhanced image transmission module can connect your for DJI equipment to the 4G network, provide you with high-speed and stable networking services, and realize enhanced image transmission, network RTK and other functions
5. On the basis of the original image transmission, it cooperates with the 4G network. If the original image transmission signal is blocked or interfered, the user can still control the drone with the help of the 4G network, reducing the chance of disconnection and effectively improving flight safety.
The most likely future use for this is support for Network Remote ID in the U.S., which Congress desperately wants. RID broadcasting was merely the first step.

The Mavic 3 already has had this 4G capability for transmission & control since release in November of 2021, and it was initially widely advertised as a feature of the optional external Mavic 3 4G dongle for the drone, but sadly never enabled in the U.S, and now only works in China.

Last edited:
I opened that hatch on my Air 3 and attempted to put the 4G module from the Mavic 3 into the slot. It will not quite fit.

The 4G module for the Air 3 appears to be somewhat different. Also, the two wires under the hatch are supposed to plug into the 4G module. I’ll attach a picture of my 4G module for the Mavic 3.

Attachments

• 25649829-DA62-4471-9EB6-C5A346D8F393.jpeg
    25649829-DA62-4471-9EB6-C5A346D8F393.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 8F12F08F-C475-4AA5-9EC1-38066BA8C115.jpeg
    8F12F08F-C475-4AA5-9EC1-38066BA8C115.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: HowFixIT
I opened that hatch on my Air 3 and attempted to put the 4G module from the Mavic 3 into the slot. It will not quite fit.

The 4G module for the Air 3 appears to be somewhat different. Also, the two wires under the hatch are supposed to plug into the 4G module. I’ll attach a picture of my 4G module for the Mavic 3.
It's the configurability of the required drone-side SIM or eSIM that DJI retains exclusive control over, that allows it to work or not work, currently based upon geographic location, and which SIM or eSIM they decide to enable and upon which cellular networks it will be supported. Otherwise, it's just an expensive paperweight, as many have discovered.

Eager to see what becomes of its capability, other than network RID!

Reactions: solidhouse
DJI has it on their website, if the location is changed to China, have to translate from browser:

They also have a mounting kit for the same module on Mini 4 Pro:

Now since Air 3 has this second internal USB host port with power output, I'm curious if the main external USB port still supports powering external accessories with an OTG cable. Would be great if someone could test, I don't have the drone yet.

Reactions: solidhouse
DJI has it on their website, if the location is changed to China, have to translate from browser:

They also have a mounting kit for the same module on Mini 4 Pro:

Now since Air 3 has this second internal USB host port with power output, I'm curious if the main external USB port still supports powering external accessories with an OTG cable. Would be great if someone could test, I don't have the drone yet.
What are the antenna connector cables that plug into the 4G dongle inside of the Air 3 for? There are two wires that plug into the 4G module and I am wondering why those are necessary?

I'm guessing they're optional, aux antenna ports for better signal. As on Mini 4 Pro they don't need to be connected.
From @HowFixIT 's teardown, the wires go to antennas on the top shell cover:
(timestamp)

Just for accessing this small compartment, it looks like it's enough to remove the 2 screws while the battery is out?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne