DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I use my Remote Controller without using a Lanyard and reduce the risk of it slipping from my hands. Pics Included

Don Testme

Reactions
In the following two pics I attached You will see that I have attached anti skid tape to the areas of the RC where my hand hold it. The tape is heavy duty for stair cases and is like sand paper. It can be removed later if you don't like it.

When You have wet and or oily hands this anti skid tape will keep you grip firmly attached to the RC. No slipping. I even put it on the back of my Iphone, so I don't have to use a case. The tape stops me from dropping my phone too.

See the 2 attached pics. Front and back. anti skid tape.jpg

Attachments

• anti skid tape back.jpg
    anti skid tape back.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
No, thank you. If I don't want a neck lanyard, I'll simply attach a wrist strap. It's only insurance in case I lose my grip.
That's a good idea. I didn't think of a wrist strap. Duh.

The purpose is to not let it drop the ground to prevent the sticks from being moved and the drone hotting something. With a wrist strap, it wouldn't hit the ground and no unwanted stick movement would occur.

Well, I guess I will add a risk strap in addition to my anti skid tap since it's allready stuck on the RC.

Thanks for the input

For the years I flew my Phantoms, I attached a QR plate to the bottom of the controller and used my camera tripod to place the controller in the perfect place in front of me. So nice not to have to hold anything while you work the sticks and you can walk away for a minute if you need to. I'm working on a mount for my RC Pro controller now. I often stop for a minute during a flight to take pictures with my real camera.

I use a lanyard for my mounting bracket that holds a Tripltek and it does not impede or impact the operation of the RC at all

Reactions: SeaPig
In the following two pics I attached You will see that I have attached anti skid tape to the areas of the RC where my hand hold it. The tape is heavy duty for stair cases and is like sand paper. It can be removed later if you don't like it.

When You have wet and or oily hands this anti skid tape will keep you grip firmly attached to the RC. No slipping. I even put it on the back of my Iphone, so I don't have to use a case. The tape stops me from dropping my phone too.

See the 2 attached pics. Front and back. View attachment 160450

Hey there Don. I was wondering what the white glue like substance was at the top of the controller?

Thanks but no thanks. Nope. I just use the neck strap. And I personally would never put anything with a sticky backing onto something as expensive as my controller. If it works for you though, fine.
What did you glue onto the top of yours ?

Thanks but no thanks. Nope. I just use the neck strap. And I personally would never put anything with a sticky backing onto something as expensive as my controller. If it works for you though, fine.
What did you glue onto the top of yours ?
1) The tape is very thick, thus when I pull it off, which I do once every 2 years, when it wears out, it comes right off without leaving any sticky residue.

2) What did I glue onto the top you ask? I hot melt glued an aftermarket bracket in place for my alientech amplified antenna mod. The hot melt glue replaces a screw in metal plate that is supposed to hold the bracket in place, but it was too delicate of an operation for me to perform, so I just fixed it in place with hot melt glue.

Reactions: Torque and Len750
For the years I flew my Phantoms, ...
With my P3P I always used a neck lanyard, and once still managed to drop my iPad mini and crack its screen.

I was doing some aerial shots helping my brother make this video of his old Porsche. I didn't have the iPad clamped securely enough in its mounting bracket on the controller, and it fell out. I stupidly put my foot out to stop the iPad from landing on the ground, but that was a mistake. I was standing at the edge of the road at the time where the iPad would just have fallen onto the grass. But when I stuck my foot out I instead booted the iPad out onto the paved surface of the road, which cracked the screen.

D'oh!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvnJr82oULk

• Wow
Reactions: Len750
With my P3P I always used a neck lanyard, and once still managed to drop my iPad mini and crack its screen.

I was doing some aerial shots helping my brother make this video of his old Porsche. I didn't have the iPad clamped securely enough in its mounting bracket on the controller, and it fell out. I stupidly put my foot out to stop the iPad from landing on the ground, but that was a mistake. I was standing at the edge of the road at the time where the iPad would just have fallen onto the grass. But when I stuck my foot out I instead booted the iPad out onto the paved surface of the road, which cracked the screen.

D'oh!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvnJr82oULk
Since putting that anti skid tape on my RC and my Iphone, I have never dropped either of them in years. No slip =No Fall.
When your hands are a little sweaty or oily that tape grabs onto your hands no matter what. If I really wanted to be safe I'd do both the lanyard or wrist strap and the tape. Maybe I should market it for tennis rackets too.

Reactions: Len750 and Mrveronn
Possibly drop it or purposely deface it so it's ugly and worth nothing when you try to sell it later? No thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
No way I will foul up my $300 RC, $1200 RC Pro or Avata controllers by putting any kind of tape or glue on them. And quite frankly it looks hideous! I also don’t understand the aversion to using a neck strap. It looks dorky or uncool? Who cares!? My neck straps have saved me from dropping my expensive controllers on more than one occasion, not to mention the convenience it affords by not having to constantly hold it in my hand.

Reactions: Beej11

Quite the Frankenstein project. It may reduce the risk of it getting stolen too. Why not just use a lanyard?

No way I will foul up my $300 RC, $1200 RC Pro or Avata controllers by putting any kind of tape or glue on them. And quite frankly it looks hideous! I also don’t understand the aversion to using a neck strap. It looks dorky or uncool? Who cares!? My neck straps have saved me from dropping my expensive controllers on more than one occasion, not to mention the convenience it affords by not having to constantly hold it in my hand.
Looks hideous? Dorky or uncool? My drones, cameras, and other tools are just that—working tools. I am not interested if they look worn or used, nor in the resale value to someone else. I take care of my equipment, but I don't baby it or worry about a scratch or bump. If OP Don (and others) want or need the extra security of enhanced grips, I say go for it.

Reactions: Torque and Len750
Looks hideous? Dorky or uncool? My drones, cameras, and other tools are just that—working tools. I am not interested if they look worn or used, nor in the resale value to someone else. I take care of my equipment, but I don't baby it or worry about a scratch or bump. If OP Don (and others) want or need the extra security of enhanced grips, I say go for it.
It’s your property and your choice but my point is why make it look terrible when you could just use a lanyard? I wouldn’t even do that to my humble little RCN1 controllers! Even with the tape and glue on it you are still quite likely to drop it at some point. With a lanyard there is an almost zero chance of dropping it. And actually I DO “baby” my equipment. If I dropped my RC Pro with attached DJI wireless mic on the concrete I don’t think it would fare too well.

Attachments

• 73E274CE-2780-4B9B-82E5-0E71C32FDD91.jpeg
    73E274CE-2780-4B9B-82E5-0E71C32FDD91.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 21
It’s your property and your choice but my point is why make it look terrible when you could just use a lanyard? I wouldn’t even do that to my humble little RCN1 controllers! Even with the tape and glue on it you are still quite likely to drop it at some point. With a lanyard there is an almost zero chance of dropping it. And actually I DO “baby” my equipment. If I dropped my RC Pro with attached DJI wireless mic on the concrete I don’t think it would fare too well.
Protecting from drops etc is not quite 'babying' the equipment (IMO). Use it, clean it, avoid rough handling, but when the inevitable dings and bumps happen, I won't wail into the wind or bang my head on the nearest tree. :) And for me, most of my work is done away from concrete surfaces. I also invest in insurance for the sensitive equipment.

Quite the Frankenstein project. It may reduce the risk of it getting stolen too. Why not just use a lanyard?
I find them uncomfortable and they get in the way. They just annoy me I guess. If you have a lanyard and you drop the remote, the sticks may hit something sending your drone into something nearby. The nonskid tape keeps it from slipping out of my hands period, especially on hot days when your hands might get a bit wet,

Reactions: Len750
I find them uncomfortable and they get in the way. They just annoy me I guess. If you have a lanyard and you drop the remote, the sticks may hit something sending your drone into something nearby. The nonskid tape keeps it from slipping out of my hands period, especially on hot days when your hands might get a bit wet,
well, in any event, lanyard or some DIY non-skid adhesive, if you drop the remote, bad things could happen

I have used a lanyard now on probably 200 flighs with an RC-N1 + Tripltek and haven't dropped either of them, one time. It's essentially impossible with the lanyard and mounting bracket. And the lanyard I have does not interfere with any controls on the RC. It's also easy to switch. I have a separate RC-N1 for each of my 3 drones and it takes about 10-15 seconds to switch the bracket/lanyard/Tripltek form one RC to another

I have a lanyard which came in a bundle of bits with my AIR2S but i dont understand how it fits,

its got a black plastic clip looks like it might go on the the extension bracket for the phone

I have not tried it because i dont have a clue ,
seems some of the controllers have two clips on them by which you can attach the lanyard no clips on mine

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin