DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how many have lost mavic mini drones

Mine said aircraft interference 80 metres out then seconds later RC signal lost then said landing that was it all over flying 12 MTs high all the way and then ditched into sea I'm a bit hacked off ,was this my fault

Seems relevant to someone reading this chain...

Heavy Wind The Mavic Mini's Achilles Heel : Tips on how to deal with it
(1) . If its windy just don't fly
(2) . A Lot of times the wind at ground level can be wildly different then at 150ft - 400ft . Lesson to the motors and watch for the craft to tilt as you are ascending . As the wind increases the motors will speed up and the craft will tilt to help hold its positioning . If The MM is doing this continuously , It's not a good day for flying. If you hear it intermittingly that's due to strong wind gust . This can be far more dangerous then strong sustained winds .
(3). A beautiful day at your house does not mean beautiful weather on location . Mountain tops , The Ocean , Lakes and many other places can always have stronger winds . Keep this in mind and plan a 2nd or 3rd trip instead of forcing the issues.
(4). Weather Apps and Weather report can also help . On site take note of how the wind is blowing and plan your flight with that in mind . It takes longer / more battery power to fly against the wind . Flying 800ft out with the wind may only take 2 min and 10% battery but Flying back in 25mph wind it may take 20 mins and 75% battery . It is a good rule of thumb to fly out against the wind and wind assisted to return.
(5). Refer to (1-4) and (6) wont be needed
(6). At or above 25 mph seems to be the threshold for what the Mini can do in wind . BUT 13 mph with heavy Gust is far more dangerous . If your out and the wind increases Do Not use Return To Home (RTH) doesn't use full power and if the wind is strong enough it will be pushed away. Calmly put it into sports mode turn your camera downward , bring up the map and attempt to fly home this way . The reasons for downward camera is if you lose it and it goes down you can Reference the footage to find land mark near where it lands. The Map as a screen is useful to make sure your pointed in the right direction .
(7). If your in strong wind gust and you hear an Intermittent Plastic on Plastic clinging sound .Turn your MM with its back to the wind and try to land as soon as possible ! DJI is looking into this but I have not heard a response as of yet .( "In heavy wind if its facing the wind it tilts so it can fight back and keep its position , BUT the props on the 2 front arms bend back due to the winds direct force on them at this angle and its causing them to hit the drone. While flying at 80ft 13mph wind at >then 25mph gust it was tilting and I could hear the plastic on plastic clinking so I brought it down to analyze it . That's when I found this out. ") <------ Speculation not conformed by DJI as of Yet
(8) If it is windy just don't fly

I truly hope some of you find this helpful and MM lives to Fly many more days and years
RR
I’ve seen the reports of props touching the body, this will be an interesting one to follow if DJI acknowledges the issue, I truly hope they do right by existing mini owner and offer fix... stiffer props maybe or even raised clearance? I think they’ll be focusing on the uncontrolled decent issues first.

I’ve seen the reports of props touching the body, this will be an interesting one to follow if DJI acknowledges the issue, I truly hope they do right by existing mini owner and offer fix... stiffer props maybe or even raised clearance? I think they’ll be focusing on the uncontrolled decent issues first.
That's a new one for me,
as far as more clearance, go to eBay and purchase a For Mavic Mini Drone Landing Gear Quick Release Extended landing gear,only cost you about $3.00 I bought two, they work great, gets the drone up off the pad. be prepaired to wait, they come from China, (takes two to three weeks.)

Kiss that sucker gone, even if you get it back, it will only be good for a book end.
Not so much. Always look to (hopefully) retrieve it. If you have DJI refresh (it was only $39 for the MM) they will replace it twice. If you have it in hand and can return it, they will replace it. And I might add, good, timely communication with quick turn around, a week or less. Just a thought, from someone who has experienced the process with two different products from DJI repair (MA, and recently an MA Controller).
I have flown RC aircraft for many years, and learned and taught my nephew to always give effort to retrieve your aircraft. I always found something to gain from recovery. Even if it ended up being a salvaged book end.

Just did a quick glacé through 20 post and. Or a single person said they lost one, lol. That means people who post in Macicpilots are obviously the best pilots.

Seems relevant to someone reading this chain...

Heavy Wind The Mavic Mini's Achilles Heel : Tips on how to deal with it
(1) . If its windy just don't fly
(2) . A Lot of times the wind at ground level can be wildly different then at 150ft - 400ft . Lesson to the motors and watch for the craft to tilt as you are ascending . As the wind increases the motors will speed up and the craft will tilt to help hold its positioning . If The MM is doing this continuously , It's not a good day for flying. If you hear it intermittingly that's due to strong wind gust . This can be far more dangerous then strong sustained winds .
(3). A beautiful day at your house does not mean beautiful weather on location . Mountain tops , The Ocean , Lakes and many other places can always have stronger winds . Keep this in mind and plan a 2nd or 3rd trip instead of forcing the issues.
(4). Weather Apps and Weather report can also help . On site take note of how the wind is blowing and plan your flight with that in mind . It takes longer / more battery power to fly against the wind . Flying 800ft out with the wind may only take 2 min and 10% battery but Flying back in 25mph wind it may take 20 mins and 75% battery . It is a good rule of thumb to fly out against the wind and wind assisted to return.
(5). Refer to (1-4) and (6) wont be needed
(6). At or above 25 mph seems to be the threshold for what the Mini can do in wind . BUT 13 mph with heavy Gust is far more dangerous . If your out and the wind increases Do Not use Return To Home (RTH) doesn't use full power and if the wind is strong enough it will be pushed away. Calmly put it into sports mode turn your camera downward , bring up the map and attempt to fly home this way . The reasons for downward camera is if you lose it and it goes down you can Reference the footage to find land mark near where it lands. The Map as a screen is useful to make sure your pointed in the right direction .
(7). If your in strong wind gust and you hear an Intermittent Plastic on Plastic clinging sound .Turn your MM with its back to the wind and try to land as soon as possible ! DJI is looking into this but I have not heard a response as of yet .( "In heavy wind if its facing the wind it tilts so it can fight back and keep its position , BUT the props on the 2 front arms bend back due to the winds direct force on them at this angle and its causing them to hit the drone. While flying at 80ft 13mph wind at >then 25mph gust it was tilting and I could hear the plastic on plastic clinking so I brought it down to analyze it . That's when I found this out. ") <------ Speculation not conformed by DJI as of Yet
(8) If it is windy just don't fly

I truly hope some of you find this helpful and MM lives to Fly many more days and years
RR
Screenshot (67).png

Wish I could like this post 1,000 times. I get it. Once I got the drone bug, I was addicted big time. I don't have the funds to go too crazy, but I'm pretty sure I've spent at least $3500 on my drone habit since I got involved in 2016.

$3,500 on drones in 3+ years seems like you used pretty good restraint! :D. I’m on my first drone, bought it a month and a half ago, and am probably $2,500 in already. M2P + SC (on sale), Fly More Kit, another battery, landing pad, anti-collision strobes, backpack, LumaFusion to edit the video, upcoming Part 107 study prep, test fee, etc, etc, etc. I envision an Inspire-class craft in the future, with a larger format camera, interchangeable lenses, etc. Yikes...

And I went to visit the local RC Flyers club today, and was intrigued by the drones & planes the guys there build themselves. Here we go.... o_O

Last edited:
$3,500 on drones in 3+ years seems like you used pretty good restrain! :D. I’m on my first drone, bought it a month and a half ago, and am probably $2,500 in already. M2P + SC (on sale), Fly More Kit, another battery, landing pad, anti-collision strobes, backpack, LumaFusion to edit the video, upcoming Part 107 study prep, test fee, etc, etc, etc. I envision an Inspire-class craft in the future, with a larger format camera, interchangeable lenses, etc. Yikes...

And I went to visit the local RC Flyers club today, and was intrigued by the drones & planes the guys there build themselves. Here we go.... o_O
I look in my closet, on my benches, I see, many many airplanes, my attic is full of them, helicopters, gliders, drones, transmitters. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, I have no idea. a small fortune I'm sure. once you get the fever your stuck. I've been in the RC hobby for approx. 50 years and most likely spent the price of a really nice house on this hobby. life is short, enjoy the ride.

Anyone who lost their MM and want to sell the Fly More combo in Europe? I would like to buy!

Thanks

(I asked this on the RCGroups forum and didn't get an answer.) For those who have lost their Minis but didn't get the Refresh insurance, will DJI sell you a new Mini without a controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun