DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you do compass calibration before take off?

I have never calibrated and never will, until prompted to. I have flown from one end of my state to the other, over 500 miles, and when checking the heading on the map, it is always spot on. Over 300 flights with not a single compass glitch.

The redundant compass technology used in the mavic is fundamentally different from earlier UAVs which required frequent regular adjustments to location changes. EDIT: That should be pretty much obvious by the fact that these are factory calibrated in China, travel half way around the world and the vast majority we see, still have their compasses perfectly indicating true headings and functioning flawlessly.

When calibrating frequently, there is also a higher chance of imposing an inaccurate or biased calibration, from external influences, such as the aforementioned metal, or undetected magnetic forces, etc. That being the case, why fiddle with something which is already calibrated and functioning perfectly?

If you are prompted to by the software, and it cannot be cleared by moving your ship a few feet, or if you notice a deviation on your map, then by all means don't hesitate to properly calibrate.

Last edited:
Every time I fly at a site that is not a repeat of the last location. No problem as it only takes 30 seconds or less time ;).

I performed a calibration today after flying from California to Michigan. It didn't tell me to, I just did it preemptively after reading that it's a good idea when travelling long distances.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I found a quite reliable compass test procedure for checking if calibration is necessary.
Just hover in very low altitude, e.g. 50cm with all sensors on and then try to fly forward extremely slow, less than step speed, by moving the pitch stick just a little bit forward. If your Mavic does not move exactly forward but also somewhat sideways the compass should be calibrated.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I've heard calibration helps towards prevention of fly aways?
It's exactly the opposite. Calibrations on spots with magnetic interference account for 95% of fly aways.
Once calibrated correctly, don't recalibrate unless you travel 100 miles or more.

I found a quite reliable compass test procedure for checking if calibration is necessary.
Just hover in very low altitude, e.g. 50cm with all sensors on and then try to fly forward extremely slow, less than step speed, by moving the pitch stick just a little bit forward. If your Mavic does not move exactly forward but also somewhat sideways the compass should be calibrated.
correct procedure. But take it a few meters high to avoid interference of iron in the ground.

Never calibrated it once since I bought it 5 months ago, and she's always spot on
Ditto, I've owned a P3P and P4 and now the MP and have never even touched compass cal out of the box and never had an issue flying anywhere, even abroad. I think you can mess with these things too much and induce issues that aren’t necessarily there to start with!

Reactions: Chirp and JHSlayer
when i had phantom 3 adv i did once when i got it, since than none for a year, and with the mavic i dont recall i did even once :p

The Mavic was built and calibrated by DJI in China, I bought it in Dubai and flying it in Europe. Never had a single issue. Why are people so obsessed with compass calibration I will never understand, nor will I ever calibrate unless prompted.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INPUT - I'M NOW GOING TO STOP WASTING TIME WITH THE REPEATED PRE FLIGHT CALIBRATIONS. Thanks guys!!

As a new Mavic pilot, to recalibrate every time has been one of the most questionable preflight procedures to me. Some of the tutorial videos that appear to be produced by experts tell you to do it every time. Others state to do it only the first time unless prompted to do so. After reading all of the posts above the majority seems to rule only when it is required by a nag.

Only when asked, which is usually the first time at a new new location.

Ive never done a compass calibration and Ive flown in two different countries so far. I was concerned that the MP would be affected by the transport in a carry on luggage with all the vibration. No issues.

Been flying the Mavic since January in different locations and never calibrated anything . Delivered directly from China , took out of the box in Alabama and the red arrow in the map/radar was pointing in the correct location so it obviously knew what direction was what . Many peoples issues are performing calibrations when un-nessacary and not getting it as good as it was before they started .

Last edited:
Nope. Status reports as good every preflight, so I don't do squat, no matter how far I travel between flights.

Now if the preflight checks begin to show excessive drift between the compasses, then I might do a cali before Go4 complains about it.

Never. The only time I'd do this is when the software tells me to do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman