DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many people got a new Mavic Mini today and already crashed?

Who knows Starz. Mine arrives tomorrow and will see
what all have been having issues with or not.

Established procedures and common sense will prevail...unless the hardware (or software) is corrupted...then all bets are off.

Reactions: Saigondroner
This is going to be a very interesting thread for sure! It's that Why factor I am worried about! LOL! ?

I couldn't take all the suspense and drama waiting to crash mine, so I just kicked her into S mode, full speed ascent, started to read the manual. No pilot error, no HW failure. Logs not available. :cool: Video shortened for brevity.
(I am joking, BTW)

Seriously, I hope pilots, both experienced and new, have lots of safe and fun flying. Read the manual 1st, please.....the MM is VERY small, and nothing like other DJI birds. Happy holidays

I'll be the first to raise my hand. I got my new drone today and was excited to get out and fly. It's my first drone and we had perfect weather, mid 60's and no wind. Prior to flying, I've been watching countless youtube videos on the mini. I knew to go slow and low. I went through a couple of batteries practicing at my home. Feeling quite confident in my limited ability I walked up the street to a neighbor's house and launched with a fresh battery. All was going well as I flew around his house capturing photos of his house at different angles. I was in the back yard at about 30 feet in C mode. I backed up to get a little wider shot. There was a row of trees across the back property line. No problem, I was watching the drone and not my screen as I backed up slowly with what looked like 20 to 30 feet between the mini and the trees and to my horror, it clipped a branch fell out of the tree onto the grass. No real damage other than some grass stain. The lesson I came away with is my depth perception sucks. I was about 80 feet from the trees I was looking straight at it and felt it was safe up to that point. Other than that snafu, I really like the drone. Very stable and easy to fly. I've got much to learn. OK, I can take the arrows now.

Dennis

My Mini WAS under the tree, but I kinda cheated and bought a "throw-away" 140g mini-clone while I waited for Mavic to confirm shipping.
I figured that at under $40, it was decent N00b insurance in 7-minute increments [short batt-life].
Great part is that I have not bashed it up at all... bodes well for the Mini's test flights today down at the ball fields.

Hi,

Why not asking with a more positive way: how many lucky people got a new Mavic Mini and already enjoy it, flying so easily and given such good and sharp photos and videos ?

Don't be fool, most of the people that are really happy with their Mavic Mini don't spend too much time on blog or forum!

I'll be the first to raise my hand. I got my new drone today and was excited to get out and fly. It's my first drone and we had perfect weather, mid 60's and no wind. Prior to flying, I've been watching countless youtube videos on the mini. I knew to go slow and low. I went through a couple of batteries practicing at my home. Feeling quite confident in my limited ability I walked up the street to a neighbor's house and launched with a fresh battery. All was going well as I flew around his house capturing photos of his house at different angles. I was in the back yard at about 30 feet in C mode. I backed up to get a little wider shot. There was a row of trees across the back property line. No problem, I was watching the drone and not my screen as I backed up slowly with what looked like 20 to 30 feet between the mini and the trees and to my horror, it clipped a branch fell out of the tree onto the grass. No real damage other than some grass stain. The lesson I came away with is my depth perception sucks. I was about 80 feet from the trees I was looking straight at it and felt it was safe up to that point. Other than that snafu, I really like the drone. Very stable and easy to fly. I've got much to learn. OK, I can take the arrows now.

Dennis

Glad it wasn’t too bad. In the depth perception, I have the same issue. I just don’t trust it to make decisions. Happy flying!

The lesson I came away with is my depth perception sucks

All new pilot depth perception sucks at first.
First time I sent out a home made on a mission, it looked like it was losing altitude.
And even near by, mine still sucks.
Raised up for the power lines I saw at 2:00 but went right through the middle at 2:07
Lots of weird effects out there.
So we all suck until we understand what we are looking at. :D

I would think the Mini crashers are probably real noobies that have never even heard of MavicPilots. I would say the better indication will be to rake a walk outside and look in the tree limbs and on rooftops.

Reactions: dfwblah and pmshop
I would think the Mini crashers are probably real noobies that have never even heard of MavicPilots. I would say the better indication will be to rake a walk outside and look in the tree limbs and on rooftops.

But they will find us.
We always do :D

Depth perception is something experience will teach you. When flying a drone it's a challenged to make accurate judgements about how close or far an obstacle is from the drone. How the drone appears at various distances and its nearness to various obstacles at distance comes with repeated observation. The same issue makes landing manned aircraft one of the more challenging things to learn, especially judging when to start the flare. It's why a lot of those early practice hours are spend doing touch and goes.

Reactions: BillLin and WYN Air
Hi,

Why not asking with a more positive way: how many lucky people got a new Mavic Mini and already enjoy it, flying so easily and given such good and sharp photos and videos ?

Don't be fool, most of the people that are really happy with their Mavic Mini don't spend too much time on blog or forum!

I apologize....I thought this was the Mavic FlyAway and Loss Forum. There are many solid and smart people who try and assist pilots, old or new by "spending too much time" online. Human nature is not to use time praising a product that seems to behave as advertised. But when something goes wrong, they will not admit a mistake...and just after Xmas, accidents are comedy gold. When my neighbors kid burst outside, "pushed the button", I was reminded how ATTI mode can hurt, not my neighbor :) . If I can take it in stride, you can let some constructive advice ride....

Attachments

• hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 199
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure